The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HS Comfort Mouth (ported mullen) snaffle -- USEF legal?

Does anyone know for sure whether this bit

http://www.doversaddlery.com/hs-cmfr...l/p/X1-010551/

is legal under the new USEF rule allowing ported snaffles? The wording specifies a maximal 30mm deviation, but the Sprenger, unlike the Myler shown in the accompanying diagram, is angled upward rather than flat across the bars, so it's not obvious where to start measuring from.

I'm holding my breath hoping it's allowed, as it's the only bit my new mare seems to like....

Your best bet is to look at the rules for yourself. Don't trust strangers on the internet -- some of whom have actually been known to be WRONG -- when it comes to the rules.

http://usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2013/08-DR.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Alas, it is not legal. I called USDF/USEF about this bit last spring, after buying it. Like you, I had noticed that it's not clear where to measure from and in fact if you measure from where the port starts it appears to be legal but if you measure from the end of the bit it is not.

At least I can feel a little better as I paid $20 less than Dover wants for it.

I had mailed a link to the bit to the lovely person I talked with and she knew exactly what bit it was and told me that they had just talked about it and measured it that week. Lucky me.

It would be great if you also called and asked. Please post if you get a different answer as hope springs eternal.

atlatl, thanks for the info -- bummer! I've emailed USEF to ask and will update when I get an answer.

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't heard back from USEF yet, but being an inveterate glass-half-empty type, I'm going to assume that the info atlatl got was correct and the HS Comfort Mouth is NOT legal. I've ordered a Beris ported loose-ring from thehorsebitshop.co.uk -- same general shape as the Sprenger but looks to be allowed under USEF rules.

Confirmed by USEF: not legal for showing.