The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 94
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    Wow, really? LMAO We all have an arsenal in our trucks here and one in our waist band. LOL Nobody shoots anybody.
    And again, that was not my point.

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    and came upon a man walking the other direction who was open carrying. We stopped to chat with him and he was happy to explain why he was armed .
    Would you mind sharing what his reason was to open carry?

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  3. #63
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2006
    Location
    rapidan,virginia
    Posts
    1,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Would you mind sharing what his reason was to open carry?
    Sure. He said he always carries concealed, except in court, where guns are not allowed (for safety reasons, as there is a rather high percentage of "bad guys" present in the courtroom). On this particular pathway, highly popular for joggers and families with kids, etc, there have been instances of criminal activity, mostly indecent exposure, drunk homeless guys harassing people, and one robbery. So the lawyer decided that he would carry openly on his walk to send a message to the bad guys who might be trolling around, that he would not be a victim nor would he tolerate any victimization of others. He said it also was an easy way to meet and talk to people, as a lot of folks stopped and asked him about his views when they noticed him carrying. He was intelligent, sensible, and not at all like a pushy activist, and he was not offended when my friend asked him some hardball questions.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    8,467

    Default

    Awesome.
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Sanger, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,934

    Default

    Our closest outdoor range draws the professional types during the week....attorney, executive types in button down shirts and chinos with the parking lot full of BMW's, etc. Weekends the parking lot is full of pickemups and more folks wearing jeans and t-shirts. More families on the weekends and higher percentage of women.



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    While that may be perfectly fine in the boonies (I did it in AZ) it is really not something that needs to be implemented in a Metropolitan area where people wear suits to work, carry a laptop and drive a Mercedes.
    Because all crime happens in the boonies, and never in cities?
    Railgirl.blogspot.com


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Sure. He said he always carries concealed, except in court, where guns are not allowed (for safety reasons, as there is a rather high percentage of "bad guys" present in the courtroom). On this particular pathway, highly popular for joggers and families with kids, etc, there have been instances of criminal activity, mostly indecent exposure, drunk homeless guys harassing people, and one robbery. So the lawyer decided that he would carry openly on his walk to send a message to the bad guys who might be trolling around, that he would not be a victim nor would he tolerate any victimization of others. He said it also was an easy way to meet and talk to people, as a lot of folks stopped and asked him about his views when they noticed him carrying. He was intelligent, sensible, and not at all like a pushy activist, and he was not offended when my friend asked him some hardball questions.
    Perfect. That's what I was looking for. An appropriate scenario as to why carry open.

    Now, why would that be appropriate for your library, your assessor's office,
    your public swimming pool our your county's clerk office? Who on those premises would one feel the need to send a message to?

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    According to OP: Kentucky = backwards = not surprising. A little bit elitist maybe? Offensive; certainly.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,681

    Default

    LOL. I chose to move to Kentucky of all places. Because of the horses and because people in general are vey laid back, friendly, don't get offended easily and just love living.

    I could do without some of the legislators and the crazy laws they are crafting.

    Certainly I do my part to help get some of the outdated animal welfare laws to the 21st century; that goal alone is a reason NOT to move.

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    18,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    According to OP: Kentucky = backwards = not surprising. A little bit elitist maybe? Offensive; certainly.
    I live here. It is backwards, pure fact, I'm not being an elitist. Even the long time residents laugh and say that Kentucky is 20 years behind the times. It is.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    I find it offensive because it's a different culture and that should not be made fun of even if you live there. One group making fun of and berating another just because they're *different* is called bullying. Just because you say "and some of them are my best friends" doesn't change that. imho


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2006
    Location
    Seabeck - the soggy peninsula
    Posts
    3,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Oh, well forgive me, I'm Canadian and had no idea. I thought it was one of the 50 "states".
    We will forgive you for being Canadian as soon as we ourselves get rid of the influence, financially and culturally of the British Empire. Just so you do not get too carried away by looking up the difference between a "Commonwealth State", please remember that your government (Federally) is a Commonwealth and that your parliament can be dissolved by the Queen over the will of the people.

    The whole discussions about guns really proves how stupid overall people have become, the guns do not pick themselves up off the shelf and shoot, there is usually a demented human being at the end of it. If you take the guns away from the people themselves, only the criminals and the demented will get hold of them, unless you believe the criminals and the insane are going to check in with the local constabulary and report in so that they can get a background check. The whole discussion should be, why are we as a nation going so insane, and what can we do about that, and what are we doing about the culture of violence of Hollywood and the video games that are probably the next biggest cause of the actual shootings than any one single thing. Sanity begets sanity, we have to change the subject so that we can prove that we know from whence this problem began. One little factoid is that the state of Israel has more guns per capita than any other population of human beings on the planet, they do not have this level of crime however. Whazzup with that do you think?

    Oh, and by the way, thank you Kentucky for being one of the eight states thus far who have passed a memorial resolution to move the United States Congress to reinstate the Glass-Steagall Act, HR 129. That's my kind of backward, backward to the American Revolution! YAY!
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

    John F Kennedy


    11 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,681

    Default

    The only bullying is done by our legislators.

    We grow tobacco, but yet are not allowed to smoke in public.
    We make bourbon, but yet certain counties are not allowed to sell it.
    Mitch McConnell voted against equal pay for women in they same job as men.
    Just recently he filibustered his own bill.
    There are individuals who still have their KKK outfits in the closet, just in case (and they truly believe that time will come).

    Yeah, some of the culture is "different" alright......

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    8,467

    Default

    Great post Calamber!
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.



  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Yes, very good Calamber!



  16. #76
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    11,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    One little factoid is that the state of Israel has more guns per capita than any other population of human beings on the planet, they do not have this level of crime however. Whazzup with that do you think?
    According to Israeli law, only the police, military, and those civilians who meet certain criteria based on need for protection due to occupation or location or being a high-ranking officer discharged from the military in good standing are allowed to possess firearms and they actually have a low gun per capita rate for the population as most do not qualify for owning a firearm, even if they served in the armed forces. Since Israel has security guards, police, and heavily armed soldiers all over the place, it's pretty difficult to commit crimes, hence a low crime rate.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2006
    Location
    rapidan,virginia
    Posts
    1,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Perfect. That's what I was looking for. An appropriate scenario as to why carry open.

    Now, why would that be appropriate for your library, your assessor's office,
    your public swimming pool our your county's clerk office? Who on those premises would one feel the need to send a message to?
    There is no "appropriate". It's either legal or not legal. I didn't know there was a Miss Manners for the exercise of one's rights.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e


    6 members found this post helpful.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    8,467

    Default

    Not exactly, Lex And I agree with Israels way of doing things

    "Israel’s gun control laws are the opposite of America’s, say Israeli officials. “Only those who have a license can bear arms and not everyone can get a license,” the head of the firearms licensing department told the Jerusalem Post. To qualify for a license, Israelis must at least age 21, pass a physical and psychological examination, undergo a background check and then qualify at a licensed shooting range. Gun owners are retested every three years, they get a one-time supply of 50 bullets when they order their weapon, and as of next year, they must keep their gun in a safe."

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelp...-control-laws/

    The reason for a lower crime rate is weapons are very, very evident. Israel is *always* at war and in close proximity to being attacked at all times. Ya really think Rapist Ron is going to attack some female who may very well be armed and extremely handy with her weapon? Or Murdering Mike, like he is going to go on a shooting rampage when there are 10 well armed soldiers in the area?
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.



  19. #79
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,442

    Default

    Ok, so this is all about you? Wow. I thought it was about public policy - and in your case about rich white people being comfortable among their own kind (though you'd be shocked by how many professional Mercedes driving laptop owners also own firearms)

    I doubt this was the only piece of legislation before your assembly this session. So it's not as if "they" wasted their time on this instead of more pressing matters. Chances are your legislature considered hundreds, if not thousands, of bills. Almost all of which died in committee.

    This one didn't and made its way through the legislative process - not "under the radar". It wasn't some obscure rider attached to a spending bill.

    You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. You seem more concerned about protecting your own prejudices and worldview. The law affects the entire state - by your own admission it is largely rural. Though I explained how a person could end up in a gov't facility while possessing a firearm (lawfully) - you ignored that and asked the question again.

    Basically you've gotten yourself into a complete snit over legislation you never read, much less understand, you accidentally revealed your own pretty darn entrenched prejudices of other human beings, (which I personally found appalling) and are trying to back pedal.

    Again, if you believe this legislation is bad public policy work with your legislator on something better. But you might not want to mention the Mercedes/laptop/professionals only thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    LOL, I don't drive a Mercedes but a pickup truck with hay hanging off its bed. And I live in a little hick area with plenty of rednecks. I chose to move to this particular "town with no rules" where I can ride my horses through the neighborhood and take them though the drive thru at Dairy Queen if I want a soda.

    I have no problem with people carrying a gun at my gas station or in my grocery store.

    However, when I go downtown - the business district - I appreciate the professional flair and I do dress up to go to my job because that is required by my employer.
    I am not allowed to smoke on their property nor am I allowed to carry a gun.

    Obviously no-one in the past however many years had a problem with NOT being allowed to carry a weapon into public buildings, the libraries etc. So why waste tax payer's money and waste time on such a non-issue law.
    We definitely have more pressing issues that need to be addressed in Kentucky.

    And yes, thank you, last I checked I am allowed to have my own opinion, especially when it comes to where I live and work.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    it's pretty difficult to commit crimes, hence a low crime rate.
    And yet, they have a pretty high terrorism rate.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: Jan. 31, 2013, 10:10 AM
  2. Replies: 83
    Last Post: Sep. 17, 2012, 09:11 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last Post: May. 26, 2011, 07:58 PM
  4. Hanoverian elite auction: Results are surprising
    By Joanne in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Apr. 11, 2011, 08:15 PM
  5. deleted
    By Fairview Horse Center in forum Off Course
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec. 22, 2009, 06:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness