The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post

However I am offended by the OP's bigoted attitude towards those who choose to carry. Not everyone who carries a weapon in public, concealed or not is a 'goof ball hick'. You have nothing to fear from law abiding citizens who exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. You'd probably be surprised at the number of moms at the park with their kids who may be carrying a concealed weapon. The number of women with conceal carry permits is on the rise. My 74 year old mother has a permit, and she's a crack shot, too.
    I was nor implying that everyone who carries is a hick. My point was that there are hicks out there who will now show off their guns in public, because it is the law of the land.
    While that may be perfectly fine in the boonies (I did it in AZ) it is really not something that needs to be implemented in a Metropolitan area where people wear suits to work, carry a laptop and drive a Mercedes.

IMO any law abiding, professional individual will not be taking their Smith & Wesson into the government hall.

But now, those who may have a beef with a government entity in such a building, cannot be refused entry for carrying a weapon.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

For crying out loud, the highest rate of murders by gun are in the cities with the strictest gun control laws. Chicago, for example. Laws restricting gun ownership are not working.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm not Canadian and unless and until some Canadian law affects me it's not my business. And that's a door that swings both ways.

Every state has it's local "wierdness." Visit such "progressive" places as NY, MA, or CA and you'll soon find them.

Civilians ought not to be armed in some places. Bars and courtrooms are two. There are likely others.

One of the interesting facts to come to light (on NPR no less) is that CCW permit holders, as a class, commit crimes at a rate LESS than certified police officers!

IMO open carry is bad idea in most circumstances. One good circumstance is astride. If you do this, however, make sure your horse is gun broke.

In spite of the media "full court press" and the comments of Sloe Joe the only current idea with any real credibility is an expanded background check system. This, however, has a serious potential for state abuse and the details are very important.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    For crying out loud, the highest rate of murders by gun are in the cities with the strictest gun control laws. Chicago, for example. Laws restricting gun ownership are not working.
    Nobody is asking to restrict gun ownership. Neither does this KY law make it easier to obtain a gun. That is not the point.

But please tell me why a person would need to carry a gun to pay their property taxes, get their driver's license renewed or apply for a marriage license?

well I looked up Kentucky's law which it appears the newpaper never looked at

237.115 Construction of KRS 237.110 -- Prohibition by local government units of carrying concealed deadly weapons in governmental buildings -- Restriction on criminal penalties.
    (1) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the right of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons on any property owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.

so that dude's little metal detector is still useful, even though he is unarnmed

Open Carry is and has been legal in ten other states for nearly forever. Anomalous open carry states (in these states, open carry of a handgun is generally lawful) number fourteen

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    But please tell me why a person would need to carry a gun to pay their property taxes, get their driver's license renewed or apply for a marriage license?
    They don't - but like most people in the world I bet KY residents often drive to accomplish multiple tasks, and for one task that person might decide to carry their weapon. So they just go about their day, going to the dump or to get their vehicle inspected, maybe stop at the grocery store, get gas, or maybe stop for a pizza.

Heck, I do that all the time. I live in a rural area and do NOT hop in the car to run an errand. If I leave I do as much as I can. It's just common sense. I've even been known to leave my horse in the trailer while I dashed in to a store to get a gallon of milk - rather than drive 20 miles home, change vehicles, and drive 20 miles back. People do that when they've gone hunting with firearms, too. Go hunting in the morning, on the way home get gas or suddenly remember they need to stop at the planning office to pick up a permit, oops they're running low on gas... Why go all the way home - which may be many miles away? Oh, the horrors! I don't "need" to do any of that - I should just rely on anonymous busybodies to tell me how to conduct every aspect of my life - including how to run errands.

Most people lead very busy lives. I think what most folks appear to be concerned about is their ability to mind other people's business.

Again, if you think the law is problematic then work to change it. It's not that unusual for a poorly drafted Bill to be made into law. If you have something better, propose it.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

3 members found this post helpful.

While that may be perfectly fine in the boonies (I did it in AZ) it is really not something that needs to be implemented in a Metropolitan area where people wear suits to work, carry a laptop and drive a Mercedes.

IMO any law abiding, professional individual will not be taking their Smith & Wesson into the government hall.

Wow. This is very revealing. I'm so sorry the non Mercedes owning members of the public doth offend your delicate sensibilities.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    I guess the Chicago border guards just aren't doing their jobs keeping the guns out, are they?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I guess the Chicago border guards just aren't doing their jobs keeping the guns out, are they?
    You win, the restrictive laws do work, and there are no homicides by gun in Chicago.

Oh yes, Chicago and its specific political gains, like the tightest weapons ban resulting in the highest crime rate LOL.

Another Illinois Dem is headed to the slammer for being a fraudster and a crook, surprise surprise LOL!!

Great post JSwan!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Great post JSwan!!

I just find these types of threads reveal deep seated bigotry and prejudice masking as "progressive" ideology.

There is absolutely nothing "progressive" about maligning people who do not conform to your personal worldview - or demanding those people be prohibited from participating in society. Black, white, rich, poor, urban, rural - it does not matter. We all have an equal right to participate in society - even if we do not own a laptop or are considered "professional".

It's really appalling- that so often those who consider themselves to most liberal (not necessarily leftist) and open minded are in fact quite the opposite. Those kind of closet bigots can be found in both parties, unfortunately.

When a person says they only want professional laptop and Mercedes owning people in their environment - they're basically saying only Rich White People should apply. The ironic thing is - they don't even know their bigots. They'll throw words out like "evolved". Which is another way of saying that those who do not conform to their worldview are just monkeys swinging in the trees.

So much for concepts like diversity, tolerance, acceptance, equal rights....

I appreciate and respect that reasonable people disagree on the subject of gun ownership. I think some of their arguments have merit. The trouble is - like this thread reveals - the opposition is sometimes less about gun ownership and more about something..... else.
    -Rudyard Kipling

7 members found this post helpful.

I think we can say both sides of the political ideologies have their fair share of bigots.

I do need to say that while I disagree with the OP, and I think that the insights here are valuable, I really don't want to condemn anyone. We all have certain thoughts and behaviors that may not be the most positive, education and introspection will usually go a long way in changing

Besides, my neon green Ford Fiesta is wayyy more 'murican than a Mercedes-Benz any day!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah for Kentucky! What a way to tell the Feds they are wrong in trying to "amend" the 2nd Amendment or any others for that matter. It's amazing how so many can judge Kentucky when they are more than likely not from there or aren't native Kentuckians. I don't believe that the state is full of "goof ball hicks" who need to need to be armed, nor do I side with the comment about someone not wanting to visit the state over that law. I say to them, if you don't care for their laws, stay away. No one says you have to go there so, by the same token, your Constitutional right doesn't force you to be armed or live there! I'm a Montana resident and I think it's so idiotic for others telling us how we are to run our state or that we should live by ideals from other "crime and gun free" areas such as New York, California, Illionis (Chicago), Atlanta, New Orleans and the like! Kentucky, you rock! I hope my state will follow suit before long. Our local sheriff's associations have already publicly stated they will not enforce any federal laws which will violate our constitutional rights. God bless America!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    well I looked up Kentucky's law which it appears the newpaper never looked at

237.115 Construction of KRS 237.110 -- Prohibition by local government units of carrying concealed deadly weapons in governmental buildings -- Restriction on criminal penalties.
    (1) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the right of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons on any property owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.

so that dude's little metal detector is still useful, even though he is unarnmed

Open Carry is and has been legal in ten other states for nearly forever. Anomalous open carry states (in these states, open carry of a handgun is generally lawful) number fourteen
    red mine.

is this the same law? It's for concealed carry not open.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Wow. This is very revealing. I'm so sorry the non Mercedes owning members of the public doth offend your delicate sensibilities.
    LOL, I don't drive a Mercedes but a pickup truck with hay hanging off its bed. And I live in a little hick area with plenty of rednecks. I chose to move to this particular "town with no rules" where I can ride my horses through the neighborhood and take them though the drive thru at Dairy Queen if I want a soda.

I have no problem with people carrying a gun at my gas station or in my grocery store.

However, when I go downtown - the business district - I appreciate the professional flair and I do dress up to go to my job because that is required by my employer.
    I am not allowed to smoke on their property nor am I allowed to carry a gun.

Obviously no-one in the past however many years had a problem with NOT being allowed to carry a weapon into public buildings, the libraries etc. So why waste tax payer's money and waste time on such a non-issue law.
    We definitely have more pressing issues that need to be addressed in Kentucky.

And yes, thank you, last I checked I am allowed to have my own opinion, especially when it comes to where I live and work.

Well seeing as many consider Montana "Montucky" I bet we will be following suit shortly. I am a (non Mercedes driving, non laptop carrying, non suit wearing) professional who strongly supports gun rights but I hate how divisive the issue is.

ilitiger2
    Well seeing as many consider Montana "Montucky" I bet we will be following suit shortly. I am a (non Mercedes driving, non laptop carrying, non suit wearing) professional who strongly supports gun rights but I hate how divisive the issue is.
    If it's not gun rights, it's something else. The country seems hopelessly divided by a "I'm right and you're just stupid"' philosophy.

dklime
    God bless America!
    I see little hope for future success here. If God blessed America, man and woman screwed it up.

2 members found this post helpful.

We'll see how you feel when you take your kids to a public park, library or swimming pool and some goof ball hick feels the need to walk around armed.

Back in the day in AZ I carried a gun in public, it was quite common in the boonies. However we have evolved - or should have - to act at least as mature and professional as we want to be viewed. Even more so in KY which has a worldwide reputation of being backwoods to start with.
    Wow, really? LMAO We all have an arsenal in our trucks here and one in our waist band. LOL Nobody shoots anybody.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    If it's not gun rights, it's something else. The country seems hopelessly divided by a "I'm right and you're just stupid"' philosophy.
    not all of us. I'm ambiguous about gun control. I completely understand and support it sometimes but at other times not so much. Whatever we are doing doesn't seem to be working so well. I am not ambiguous about banning guns. First that is unworkable and second, people aren't just going to hand over their weapons.

my question still stands, is the concealed permit law the same one as the open carry.

We'll see how you feel when you take your kids to a public park, library or swimming pool and some goof ball hick feels the need to walk around armed.

Back in the day in AZ I carried a gun in public, it was quite common in the boonies. However we have evolved - or should have - to act at least as mature and professional as we want to be viewed. Even more so in KY which has a worldwide reputation of being backwoods to start with.
    Funny you should ask.....a friend and I were walking recently on a very popular paved trail through our city with her baby in a stroller, and came upon a man walking the other direction who was open carrying. We stopped to chat with him and he was happy to explain why he was armed and we also talked about a bunch of other things.

We didn't feel threatened at all, and he was certainly no hick, he's an attorney who was educated at a highly regarded law school.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e