The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    But heck, we already have to deal with Mitch McConnell who is the laughing stock of the nation.......
    There is something to be said for people getting the government they deserve. So many conservatives moan endlessly about government not working, and you know what, when they get to office they sure make sure it doesn't work--what a TERRIBLE law.

1 members found this post helpful.

IMO this is can very well create some undesirable situations and just to prove that KY is gun friendly, passing such a law is childish.

The bill’s sponsor, State Rep. Bob Damron, D-Nicholasville, said he’s perfectly comfortable with that.

3 members found this post helpful.

The Metro Hall is where the Louisville Government is housed.
    so is this where criminal trials are held? And custody disputes? And divorce hearings are held if they go to a Masters Hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    so is this where criminal trials are held? And custody disputes? And divorce hearings are held if they go to a Masters Hearing?
    In Louisville the court house is another building, but smaller jurisdictions may not be laid out that way.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I am most certainly a gun rights advocate, but I cannot see a reason to carry in a court room be it open or concealed, unless you are an officer of the court.

I am a bit more ambivalent about the issue for other government buildings as the law in question allows open carry, but not concealed. Open carry is a lot different than concealed carry.

However I am offended by the OP's bigoted attitude towards those who choose to carry. Not everyone who carries a weapon in public, concealed or not is a 'goof ball hick'. You have nothing to fear from law abiding citizens who exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. You'd probably be surprised at the number of moms at the park with their kids who may be carrying a concealed weapon. The number of women with conceal carry permits is on the rise. My 74 year old mother has a permit, and she's a crack shot, too.

10 members found this post helpful.

Lol, the ban is on drinks (soda, water) not alcohol ( because the mayor still likes wine). Oh and styrofoam is being banned next.

Yikes, makes me think twice about wanting to visit the State, and many others for that matter. A lot of my friends feel the same way. Too bad, we spend a LOT of money when we visit.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Yikes, makes me think twice about wanting to visit the State, .
    Kentucky is not a State, it is a Commonwealth....

Did any of you bother to read and understand the text of the legislation? Or are you just freaking out over a poorly written article?

It's quite possible the legislation is poorly drafted - both parties are pretty good at that. But open carry and concealed carry is hardly a new concept; my state permits both (concealed carry with an easy to obtain permit) Concealed carry is gaining in popularity; especially among women. Educated women.

We're hardly the Wild West - in fact there has been no increase in crime in his Commonwealth. Folks who obey the law aren't the ones you have to worry about.

But it is possible the text of the legislation could use some work - God knows BOTH parties are guilty of some real humdingers.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

We'll see how you feel when you take your kids to a public park, library or swimming pool and some goof ball hick feels the need to walk around armed.

Back in the day in AZ I carried a gun in public, it was quite common in the boonies. However we have evolved - or should have - to act at least as mature and professional as we want to be viewed. Even more so in KY which has a worldwide reputation of being backwoods to start with.
    I'm sorry this is just so ridiculous I have to comment on it.

Plenty of horse owners on this very BB ride in public parks - carrying a concealed weapon. Plenty of my friends carry concealed or open carry. Legally and responsibly.

The notion that cute little toddlers are in danger from such people is just ridiculous hyperbole with absolutely no basis in fact.

We have evolved? Really? Mature and professional people aren't the ones sneaking up behind women and dragging them off into the bushes.

In my state people with concealed carry permits are everywhere. You don't notice, and they're not going around brandishing their weapons. They're also not pulling them out and gunning down babies in their strollers. Good grief.

If you find the legislation problematic then point it out to your legislator and work to improve the language in the next session.
    -Rudyard Kipling

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Kentucky is not a State, it is a Commonwealth....
    Oh, well forgive me, I'm Canadian and had no idea. I thought it was one of the 50 "states".
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I think there are four commonwealths here is the US... everyone just thinks them to be just another of the fifity-seven states

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I think there are four commonwealths here is the US... everyone just thinks them to be just another of the fifity-seven states
    57? Laugh out loud, you*almost* made me go google the number of states in the US! I've not studied geography in over 30 years, thought I'd missed something there.
    You all need to pop on up to your neighbours to the North and see how we do things here, without people carrying guns out in public.
    ― Anna Sewell

Oh, well forgive me, I'm Canadian and had no idea. I thought it was one of the 50 "states".
    You're forgiven ... I didn't know either.

link here http://geography.about.com/b/2006/12...h-vs-state.htm

There is no difference between a commonwealth and a state in the U.S. To Locke, Hobbes, and other 17th-century writers the term "commonwealth" meant an organized political community -- what we today call a "state." Officially Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, and Massachusetts are all commonwealths. When Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, and Massachusetts became part of the United States, they merely took the old form of state in their title.

Today, commonwealth also means a political unit having local autonomy but voluntarily united with the U.S. These are Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.

You all need to pop on up to your neighbours to the North and see how we do things here, without people carrying guns out in public.
    I have.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed.
    -Rudyard Kipling

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I have.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed.
    How come? I started another thread, but tell me how come, what didn't impress you? The fact that we are all walking around unarmed and unable to defend ourselves against the evil doers while out shopping?
    ― Anna Sewell

It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I am much more fond of France - but I wouldn't want to live there either. I also wouldn't want to live in Key West or Hawaii. Sharks in the water. I don't like sharks.

You may think your country is fabulous- which is fine. Allow that denizens of other nations believe the same about theirs.
    -Rudyard Kipling

3 members found this post helpful.

It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I am much more fond of France - but I wouldn't want to live there either. I also wouldn't want to live in Key West or Hawaii. Sharks in the water. I don't like sharks.

You may think your country is fabulous- which is fine. Allow that denizens of other nations believe the same about theirs.
    Indeed true, but the gun laws of your States, or Commonwealth or what have you, do affect tourism to a certain degree, no? And you DO need the money that tourism generates.
    ― Anna Sewell

No, our gun laws do not affect tourism. You'll have to pick another boogeyman.

Like other countries tourism is more likely affected by exchange rates and other economic factors unrelated to the unnoticed passage of a law poorly reported on by an obscure newspaper.

If you're such an expert on the economy you should already know that.
    -Rudyard Kipling

4 members found this post helpful.

No, our gun laws do not affect tourism. You'll have to pick another boogeyman.

Like other countries tourism is more likely affected by exchange rates and other economic factors unrelated to the unnoticed passage of a law poorly reported on by an obscure newspaper.

If you're such an expert on the economy you should already know that.
    No expert here! Just coffee talk. Many Canadians are fearful of traveling south due to your gun laws.
    I deal with a lot of seniors who go south in the winter, and they are getting paranoid about doing so. One gent told me the other day, "don't even look sideways at them on the highway, they'll pull out their gun and blast ya'" No sh*t, that is the impression some people have up here about this.
    Last edited by up-at-5; Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: adding in
    ― Anna Sewell