The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best time to buy

What is usually the best time of year to buy a new horse? I've always heard fall to early winter is the best time for buyers, while later winter to early spring is best for sellers. Is that true? If so, as a buyer, I've had no luck so far in either "season".
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

As a seller I can say my busiest time is fall-early winter and my slowest is the dead of summer. It is also slower Thanksgiving-New Years. The kids off to college horses normally hit the market in summer and sometimes you have breeders wanting to move stock in late winter making room for spring arrivals.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I got my girl in November thinking "what a dumb time of year to buy a horse." But that is when I found her and fell in love with her. Her price was reduced because I purchased her from a small time breeder and she did not get knocked up and he was reducing his herd. His loss my gain!

I sold a 3 yr old in November and a 4 yr old last week (they are the same age). typically I have bought in the summer though.

I have sold in July and December. I have bought in January, April, May, September, October
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Theoretically buying before winter means the seller is not looking at feeding over winter, so should be more flexible. In spring, when buyers have tax refunds burning a hole in their pocket and are all sunny and optimistic is when sales pick up but sellers are less flexible because they've got all year to get the price they want.

But that's just theory. I've found when a buyer finds *the* horse, they don't hesitate no matter what time of year.

I don't think there is a really good or bad time to find or sell. Right now, it seems like everyone is looking, but it has been that way for the past eight or nine months.

September for sellers is not so great and usually dead of summer late July to August when last minute vacations and back to school takes precedent.

Over the last year I'll say the most activity my sales horses, and client's sales horses saw was in the late summer/fall.

The weather was nice and the footing was good for training and showing horses.

We had a nice young TB who's ad had lots of activity before December, but after about mid December weather and holiday plans really all but halted interest in him.

As a trainer I like to do most of my at home training over the summer or winter, when the show season is not active, it gives me the chance to really concentrate on the basics and then take that horse out to school and show either in the fall or spring. Bringing in a sale horse in the spring limits me, because by the time I have worked on the basics at home, the summer hits and there are fewer schooling and showing opportunities, same thing with bringing a horse in for training/sale in the fall, my options are more limited in the winter.

My last 3 new horses were all purchased in late Fall. Many good breeders hold dispersal sales then, it's a superb time to pick up a youngster whose price will increase enormously by next Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Right now, it seems like everyone is looking, but it has been that way for the past eight or nine months.
    What do you think the driving force is behind that? Economy picking up?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz View Post
    What do you think the driving force is behind that? Economy picking up?
    I think that and people feeling more secure - if they still have a job and weathered the worst of the economy problems, they are starting to replace horses lost/sold. Our inquiries are way up and horses are moving. I have been networking with fellow breeders way more the past 5 months because we don't have what they are looking for. I have a list of names of people looking that have asked me to keep my eyes open for them
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook