The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default COTH article re Grey Fox Farm

Surprised that nobody has posted about this article.
    Grey Fox Farm is the 2012 USEF leading jumper breeder and the article highlights the fact that USEF bred horses are winning at the GP level.
    Does anybody read COTH or does nobody care that US bred horses are a success?
    Fan of Sea Accounts

1 members found this post helpful.

Link?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

You need to be a COTH subscriber to view the current issue online
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC View Post
    You need to be a COTH subscriber to view the current issue online
    I thought the article was great if for no other reason than it makes the distinction between E and A.

I read it, I enjoyed it, and I think the magazine, Chronicle of the HOrse is vastly under-subscribed. They make a huge effort to be really on the pulse of what's happening here. I honestly don't know what they can do to be more relevant.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

2 members found this post helpful.

This was an exceptionally good issue from a breeding point of view.
    The editorial ' Let's make US-Bred Big' had a few good ideas to promote US bred horses and there was an interesting article written by Michael Pollard about breeding programs. Didn't agree with the Pollard article but it was thought provoking.

COTH really does try to showcase the top US breeding programs. It should be a must read for all.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

I try to post the many accomplishments of Kandi and Rusty's breeding program at every opportunity! They do a fabulous job and have lovely young horses, though they share a slightly different breeding philosophy than many on this forum (ex: one of their resident stallions is unapproved- and not because he is not quality!!). With two horses winning World Cup qualifiers and extraordinary young horses coming up behind Bristol and Wistful- they have something to be proud of!!

Are there 2 Grey Fox Farms? I cannot imagine Jill Burnell receiving that accolade; she has always bred for the hunter ring.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Yes Lord there are two One Gray the other Grey
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Jill Burnell's farm is GrAy Fox Farms. This is the farm in question: http://www.greyfoxfarmhorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Are there 2 Grey Fox Farms? I cannot imagine Jill Burnell receiving that accolade; she has always bred for the hunter ring.
    I guess that answers my questions.
    Very few on this forum read COTH mag.
    Few seem to know or care which domestic breeders have success at high performance levels.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

I guess that answers my questions.
    Few seem to know or care which domestic breeders have success at high performance levels.
    Seriously? You are assuming "Few seem to know or care which domestic breeders have success at high performance levels" because "Very few on this forum read COTH mag"? One has nothing to do with the other.

Warmbloods Today mag has had some good articles for and about breeders in the last couple of years. If someone doesn't subscribe to that magazine either, do they also not care about domestic breeders and success etc? (Using your logic.)

Crockpot I agree with you, the similarity of names between the two G Foxes is very unfortunate.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

4 members found this post helpful.

This Grey Fox has been around a very long time. They definitely compete jumpers only... their market is completely different than JB's. Local horsepeople know who Grey Fox is and would never confuse it with the other ;-)

2012 USEF leading jumper breeder
    PINE TREE, aren't you the one who always jumps into every USEF related discussion, thinks USEF #'s and results are useless, supports changing names, etc? (My most sincere apologies if I've mixed you up with someone else.) But if I'm correct, then it's ironic you're here gung ho about a USEF accolade recognizing a breeder.

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't really think there is a strong correlation between reading COTH magazine and "caring about domestic breeders" - there are many different magazines that cover various breeders. Dressage Today also does an annual breeding addition, and many of the registry magazines cover successful breeders as well. Many people on this forum (whether magazine subscribers or not) are also very interested in our domestic breeder results!

Congratulations to GrEy Fox Farm! And to our other domestic breeders who work so hard to further successful sport horse breeding in the U.S.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    PINE TREE, aren't you the one who always jumps into every USEF related discussion, thinks USEF #'s and results are useless, supports changing names, etc? (My most sincere apologies if I've mixed you up with someone else.) But if I'm correct, then it's ironic you're here gung ho about a USEF accolade recognizing a breeder.
    The article is NOT from a USEF article.
    Please read carefully.
    The article is in the Chronicle of the Horse Magazine.

And if you think I support changing names than your problem is larger than not being able to read clearly.
    Actually I think you are very, very confused.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Great article! I DO care about U.S. breeding. I grew up with Russell Stewart and son Rusty as they always brought some jumpers to the big Texas shows. I have another friend in Ocala with eventing horses and her farm is the other GREY Fox Farm.

Diane Halpin and Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

LOL many here care about top domestic breeders. A better question is Why won't trainers buy American ?" Their response "The country is too big !" is out dated.

Breeding directors of warmblood registeries will tell you that the product we are now producing is as good as, and in some cases surpasses, what is found in Europe.

But the fact is that the minute the US trainer's new European purchase lands on American soil, the asking price doubles or triples. Yet, with only a few exceptions, Europe is not selling their best horses to the US. But American buyers are paying "best horse" prices.

USEF needs to do its part as well. During the prestigious "World Champion Hunter Rider" class in Florida the other night (broadcast live on USEF Network) I attemped to find out the breeding on the horses, by accessing the USEF website/Horse Search. Of the 5-6 I looked up, not ONE had a sire or dam listed. In fact the winner of the class, Ovation, is listed simply as a "warmblood" with unknown sire and dam.

And the reason for this, we are told, is that hunter performance people don't care about bloodlines.

But hunter breeding people care and take it seriously. They're breeding tomorrow's performance horses.

Three years ago USHJA was about to implement the Hunter Development Incentive Fund program. Alot of time and effort by domestic breeders had gone into its design.
    If you read this COTH article on USHJA's decision to cancel the program, no real reason for terminating the program was given. We're left to assume it just wasn't a priority. Maybe funding was a a problem, although there was money already paid into the account.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...e-fund-program

US sporthorse breeders have been screaming from the rafters for years to get recognition and support.

To say that no one cares about the success of US breeders is simply not true.

BTW, the reason I cancelled my subscription to COTH years ago was the lack of sporthorse breeding coverage. Happy to hear that they're now giving it more air time.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone
    The article is NOT from a USEF article.
    Please read carefully.
    The article is in the Chronicle of the Horse Magazine.
    I realize it was a COTH article. A COTH article from which you are touting a USEF accolade. Lucky for this farm that they registered their horses with USEF and nobody re registered them to change their names or ages.

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC
    Surprised that nobody has posted about this article.
    Grey Fox Farm is the 2012 USEF leading jumper breeder and the article highlights the fact that USEF bred horses are winning at the GP level.

If my farm name was Grey Fox or Gray Fox and I was not Jill Burnell, I sure would change the name to Grey Fox Sport Horses or something like that.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    BTW, the reason I cancelled my subscription to COTH years ago was the lack of sporthorse breeding coverage. Happy to hear that they're now giving it more air time.
    If my reason for subscribing to CoTH was solely for sporthorse breeding news, I doubt that I would subscribe either. But knowing what's going on in the performance end of things is crucial to me - breeding and performance is tightly woven. And I don't know of anyone doing a better job and more timely with that than CoTH.

I just don't think that one publication can do everything. I subscribe to The Horse for management and health news and innovations.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin