The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Big head buckets

Anyone know of a source for the smaller size bucket (2.5 gallon) that is larger around than deep? My horse has a big head that it's hard for her to reach the treats in the smaller ones. I have a 5 gallon, but prefer the smaller size.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I do not know if it comes in that size but there is something called the 'Better bucket' that has a side that flares out.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.miller-mfg.com/page/1/Pro...p?groupId=1707

Your local feed store should have them or be able to order them.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I use them for Sophie
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My local feed store only carries items that fit small horses.

Thanks for the links!!!!! That is exactly what she needs.

I am in love with these buckets! I have both sizes (bought the small ones first, because that was all that the store carried at the time), but have picked up the larger ones as well now and do like those better. One of my geldings used to sling his bucket around, and while he still does it occasionally, it's no longer every feeding like it used to be. I also have one who tends to shove his head into the bucket from the side instead of the front, completely defeating the purpose of having the bucket fit the shape of the horse's head, but he doesn't seem to care. The big ones really are quite huge, I've left the smaller ones in my trailer to use at shows where the stalls are smaller than my "duplexes" at home and won't take up as much space.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

From the title, I thought this thread was going to be about helmets.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    ROFL, thanks for the chuckle!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Bwahahaha, it could have been! I've got a big bucket head too.

I thought these "Better Buckets" sounded interesting, so did a web search on them. Decided to pass (was thinking of buying 5-6) after reading all of the reviews on them that folks posted on State Line. Apparently they're not very durable. Practically every single review claims that they only last from one day to 6 months tops. And one review had a horse tear open a nostril on the part of the handle that attaches to the bottom (open metal loop/hook).

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/th...ucket/E002950/

(Also looks like many Smartpak purchasers have had the same problems with this bucket - having it break in short order. All the positive reviews seem to have come from folks who only had the buckets a very short time.)

I have the small Better Buckets. I've been using them for over a year, and they are great. I did have the handle pop off of one (my mare that slams her bucket around), but hubby put the handle back on and no problems since. Said mare is MUCH better with this style bucket than with other styles I have tried.

That's good to know. Maybe I'll just buy one (instead of the 5-6 I was thinking of) & see how it goes. There were just way, WAY too many people who not only had "handle" problems, but also problems with the bucket just splitting in two - sometimes in just a matter of a few days.

Try this

I use these black rubber feeders instead of buckets. I think I linked the right one anyway. They are corner feeders I got from TSC, much larger opening than your regular 5 gallon bucket. Cleaning isn't as easy but they have been very durable. The more open "pan type" feeder is better anyway supposedly...I can't remember where I read that though. :P

I have a few of those rubber pans on hand & used them a few times for feed, but the problem I had with them was horses stepping on the rim & flipping all the feed out onto the ground.

The kind I linked are supposed to be corner feeders and attach to the wall. At least that is what I have. I tried ground pans and also had issues with them.

Sorry (the link you posted is for rubber pans).

I too use corner feeders in stalls - the Fortiflex ones. Have used them for years. Since I want to be able to remove them for scrubbing, instead of bolting them permanently to the walls, I attached them via double-ended snaps to ring screws. Have yet to have to replace one due to breakage.

Oh my bad. I thought the description says they attach to the wall. Must've linked the wrong one.

Anyway, op, they might be a good option!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I got one of the smaller Better Buckets at TSC for my Feed Flinger.
    It was the only size they had and under $10.
    He'd already smooshed a Fortiflex 5gal bucket out of shape with his antics and a couple times actually got it off the wall.

A corner feeder is not an option for me & this horse. I hang water buckets under the feed opening in the grille and he needs refills at least 2X daily so for my ease & accessibilty, I want the water bucket there.

I've had the BB around 6mos and noticed a crack in the back this morning.
    He's got a ginormous head and is an {ahem} "enthusiastic" feeder.
    I think the larger BB might work for him and feel safe recommending it to anyone with a Bigheaded Feedflinger < new breed?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009