The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A few years ago (almost a decade, sheesh!) I was hunting around for a new horse on a limited budget. Originally my parents and I had become quite infatuated with a horse I had been looking at as a free lease, but once the owners saw how interested we were, they decided they were going to go ahead and sell him instead. My parents decided we'd pursue that option and I had my vet out. After an extensive PPE, he advised against me purchasing the horse as a jumper and surmised that within three years he'd be unsound. The owner became incredibly defensive and we all scrammed out of there before she attacked my vet.

It was very hard to let him go. He was beautiful and exciting, but the pros wouldn't outweigh the cons. I didn't have a place for a very pretty pasture ornament. My parents decided we could continue to look for a horse to purchase, and I vetted three or four more. All of them failed, rather miserably at that, and my vet semi-jokingly said he hoped I wouldn't be calling him out to look at another nag.

I ended up buying something twice the original budget and that ended up being a saga in itself. I've since learned it's best to keep your emotions out of the equation and stick to your original outline of the horse you're looking for that will be right for the job and your budget.

1 members found this post helpful.

Up until the neuro stuff I wasn't too worried. The back was iffy, but I would have radiographed it to see why. It would have been nice to have something more than "positive" on the flexion (was it moderate? Severe? Mild to moderate?). Arthritis on a 10 year old race horse is no shock, though the thing about injections are going to stop working after 3 years seemed odd (I've never had a good vet say that). But, the neuro stuff definitely was not good.

Move along. It's tough, but you gotta.

I walked away from a gorgeous, stunning OTTB yesterday after getting the results of fetlock films, so I do know how you're feeling right now. Mine had no joint effusion, flexed OK, and jogged sound, but he had a chip in one fetlock and arthritis in both. I, like you, can't afford to board a pasture ornament (well, I *can*, just don't really want to - been there, done that for the past 10 years! I agree 110% with the poster who said if you find one issue you can't deal with, stop there. It will save you a lot of $$$ in the long run. I didn't even bother radiographing knees and feet on my PPE because the fetlocks were a deal breaker.

It's true that no horse is perfect, but it's all about risk management. Why buy something with a known issue that's already causing discomfort, especially in an animal that's not even performing yet in your chosen discipline? There are lots more out there...the right one just hasn't found you yet. Keep looking and have faith that the right one will come along.

For the horse that was $3500 I would walk away. I didn't buy a $500 horse because xrays showed sesamoiditis and there may have been a tiny sesamoid fracture. Horse was sound and likely it would heal nicely but it wasn't worth taking the risk for me.

That particular horse you are looking at has been off the track for quite some time so if he isn't sound now with a very light use type of job than that would be enough for me to walk away.

What a bummer! I would pass too though. That is a LOT of red flags for a 10 yo green prospect. I really think at that price you will find a something with a better prognosis for what you want.

Agree also with the posters saying end the vet check as soon as you've found something you can't live with.

One thing that helps me in situations like this (sadly familiar) is to look at it as having done the horse a favor. If he really needs minimal jumping and a very small rider, then you are doing the right thing in allowing him that life, rather than risking his health to try to make him into an event horse. Hopefully the rescue will show equally good horsemanship and place him appropriately, now that you've also done THEM the favor of all the work-up.

Slightly tangential, I'm sure neuro tests do catch the really neuro, but every one I've ever seen done on a "normal" horse were inconclusive. Vet really wished he'd reacted slightly differently, but in and of itself it doesn't mean anything, etc.

2 members found this post helpful.

I hate it when this happens. But as much as you love him, I would pass and keep looking. And definitely make the list vxf111 suggested. It will save you a lot of money, and time. Good luck.

That sucks; I'm sorry it wasn't a better outcome. It just happened to me, too, and as painful as the bill was (not to mention the disappointment of not buying a horse I had fallen in love with), I was glad to have all that information at my disposal so that I could make a good decision. In my case, too, the people who owned the horse were glad to know what the horse's problems were so that they could both treat it and find a better match for the horse. Hopefully that will be the case with this guy.

Let us know what happens with the mare...if you ride her and like her, get her vetted. If she passes, you'll still be spending way less than you would have on the gray. Good luck, and chin up! The right horse will come along!

Neuro = RUN AWAY! for me. I'm sorry

Bummer he was cute. to bad you are all the way in CA there are a few that I know of in your price range out here

I'm sorry, how disappointing! However, I think it is best you discovered these things now rather than later.

New Vocations just posted a to-die-for OTTB. Also 10, but sound and suitable for all purposes. He needs a rider with soft legs and hands to maximize his potential, but the price is right at $500. I think that is about 25% of his real value.

If you have not put in an application with NV, you should do it because the good ones go in a day -- so you need to have your application pre-approved to nab one of these.
    "Dyslexics Untie!"

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Probably the best advice so far (bolding is mine).

Keep looking.
    Agree.

Like here :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Or http://www.horseadoption.com/horsepr.../sgt-reckless/

Both have the WOW factor to me.
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

Quote Originally Posted by jhoover View Post
    Wow, 4 is awful! I think I'd give up at two and start collecting cats or something. Ha, that's what I mean. Some of the happiest owners I know are the one's that didn't vet and just enjoy riding their horse while it's sound. I don't think that's my style, but I certainly wish it was right about now.
    Oh no, I only spent a fraction of what you did. I stopped at the heart murmur, and the toed out front leg (those were long distance but I had specific instructions to the gets to stop the exam and call me if anything came up.) Yes it was difficult to make a decision right away, especially over the phone but since I was looking for a mid level eventer, both bets advised against continuing the exam. One even only charged me for the farm call and a very brief exam which was very nice of him.

So yes I agree, decide what is a deal breaker for you (or maybe take a knowledgeable friend or trainer to assist you in making those "on the spot" decisions whether to continue with the PPE or not when something comes up.)
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

In my opinion, he failed. Neuro issues are no fun. Hope the filly works out for you.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

j--
    Are you really in CA? Give Leigh Gray a call (626-824-7455) at Thoroughbred Rehab Center. I've gotten all my OTTB's there (disclaimer: I'm on her Board) and she's often got some very nice horses. She's located at a vet clinic & is a vet tech herself, so no problem getting one vetted.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    New Vocations just posted a to-die-for OTTB. Also 10, but sound and suitable for all purposes. He needs a rider with soft legs and hands to maximize his potential, but the price is right at $500. I think that is about 25% of his real value.

If you have not put in an application with NV, you should do it because the good ones go in a day -- so you need to have your application pre-approved to nab one of these.
    Unfortunately NV won't accept applications or adopt out horses to people on the West Coast. Unless they've changed their policy?

To the OP, have you looked at CANTER SoCal? Some very nice horses are listed there. I'm very sorry that this guy didn't work out. I totally understand the heartache of a failed PPE on a horse you really like. But you will be glad you kept looking.

Quote Originally Posted by cindywilson View Post
    j--
    Give Leigh Gray a call (626-824-7455) at Thoroughbred Rehab Center.
    Cindy
    It's funny you mentioned that name, because that's where my last trainer used to get all her OTTBs and where my best friend got hers (she took one of the HBO Luck horses). I only haven't called her because I've tended to look at ads (with pics and vids) and she doesn't seem to have any. I'm so glad you gave me her number. I'll call today! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoover View Post
    It's funny you mentioned that name, because that's where my last trainer used to get all her OTTBs and where my best friend got hers (she took one of the HBO Luck horses). I only haven't called her because I've tended to look at ads (with pics and vids) and she doesn't seem to have any. I'm so glad you gave me her number. I'll call today! Thanks!

New Vocations does make exceptions on a case by case basis (I believe a COTH person in Colorado? just got a filly from NV) - they get in some absolutely stunning horses that sometimes never make it off their facebook page onto the website

OP, listen to the advice here and walk away. I have the horse you are describing. Some similar issues. When I first met her 2 years ago, she was pretty sound and doing a job. She has deteriorated since then and I am now left with an 8 year old pasture puff. She is the sweetest, kindest thing, just a real darling... I'm hoping I can place her in a light use home, or as a therapy horse.

So, as hard as it is, keep looking.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    OP, listen to the advice here and walk away. I have the horse you are describing. Some similar issues. When I first met her 2 years ago, she was pretty sound and doing a job. She has deteriorated since then and I am now left with an 8 year old pasture puff. She is the sweetest, kindest thing, just a real darling... I'm hoping I can place her in a light use home, or as a therapy horse.

So, as hard as it is, keep looking.
    Aww, Flash, I was just thinking about you and wondering how your lovely mare was faring. I'm sorry to hear she's not any better