The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When they don't seem to like beetpulp

So what do you guys feed if yours doesn't like beetpulp?? I feed all of mine a combo of either soaked Speedibeet or Fibrebeet along with Progressive Nutritions Pro Advantage Grass Diet Balancer and Envision Classic...my new girl is off the track for about a month now..,I started her on Triple Crown Senior, and gradually added in a 1lb of Pro Adv and Envision which she's eating but not with much gusto-also takes her a long time to finish....I've tried adding in some soaked speedi or Fibrebeet -which makes her take even longer to finish...and she ends up usually walking away and leaving it-so I stopped adding the bp for now....I have her on Succeed and Canadian Omeprazole , along with Ulcer aide which has helped tremendously...Dentist next week, and checking a fecal too

I would gladly try regular alfalfa pellets or hay stretcher or even regular bp but she doesn't seem crazy about anything soaked ...maybe it tastes better than the speedi or Fibrebeet ...I'm kind of scared of feeding them dry...had one choke before

Maybe she just isn't crazy about TC Senior??im thinking of trying TC Complete or possibly Pennfields Fibergized to see if she eats those with more gusto?!?anybody have better luck with either of those palatability wise?anybody have ones that don't seem to like bp? She gets all the 2nd cutting Timothy/orchard mix she wants -I've also tried giving her the Lucerne Farms Alfa Supreme chopped dengie hay-not really crazy about that either

Any suggestions?!?

Pennfields Fibergized is a great feed! There is also a Fibergized Omega which is higher in fat if you want to add some extra calories.

Are you adding beet pulp for the weight gain? Would it be easier to add calories in the form of fats? I love Cocasoya and I know there are others that are also very good.

Are you making the beet pulp a slurry or is it on the less mushy side? I've found it is kind of an art to soak feeds without making them so mushy that the horses won't eat them.

If you scroll down, the third topic on this page talks about feeding soaked hay cubes. I've never fed beet pulp, but maybe it also applies?

http://thepitchforkchronicles.com/page7.php

I've yet to meet a horse that turns its nose up to Fibergized. Even my pickiest of picky eaters eats it with gusto. I, personally, don't like feeding beep and have been able to eliminate any need for it by feeding Fibergized.

Some horses REALLY don't like soaked feed. Some just don't like beep. You can play around with various ways of feeding her to see what she likes. I would probably start by not soaking and see how it goes. Yes, choke is no fun, but just because one choked doesn't mean they all will.

1 members found this post helpful.

I NEVER feed unsoaked beet pulp!! It is dangerous!! Try soaking the beet pulp in hot water and draining off excess water before you feed it.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

OH! Sorry! That's not what I meant. I took the OP to mean that she soaks ALL her feed, and that should try and feed the TC Senior unsoaked....and leave out the beep. I would never ever feed unsoaked beep.

Try dengie Alfa A. Its a bit expensive but I swear by it, its amazing to put condition on horses and they seem to love it. Plus, it doesn't have to be soaked.

You could try TC Growth - very very similar profile to the Sr.

The bad thing about beep is it's a high volume to weight/calories, compared to pretty much everything else.

If she likes alfalfa pellets, that's a fairly good volume:weight/calories feed, and you don't need to soak

add rice bran and cocosoya oil and gradually you can reduce the amounts but I bet your horse will like it then

I feed Ultra Bloom, as well as a growth / weight formula.

Misunderstanding....Just to clarify...I always soak bp-in my case Speedibeet ...with hot water-it's not too soupy/sloppy, definitely moist though...whenever I offer it to her-even if its just a handful by itself she's very suspect of it, and eats it like she doesn't like the taste ....she'll eat it if I mix it in with TC Senior and Pro Adv/Envision but very slowly, and ends up walking away and not finishing-she even does the same thing with soaked Fibrebeet added in? I've come to the conclusion that she just doesn't like soaked/wet ??

I meant that I was scared to feed dry alfalfa pellets after having one choke on them...but as others pointed out ..just bc one choked doesn't mean they all would ?!? So I will look for maybe Blue Seal Hay Stretcher or a plain alfalfa pellet ...maybe I could moisten them with Cocosoya Oil? Or try mixing in with Rice Bran Pellets as an option as well...I guess it will be some trial and error...she doesn't seem crazy about The chopped bagged dengie hay either

Does anybody feel that Pennfields Fibergized is better than TC Senior or TC Complete?!? What's the hands down best quality high fat/fiber/low starch&sugar feed for picky eaters that will put weight on and improve overall body condition/topline without making them hot fruit loops ?!?

Should I just stick with the TC Senior for now even though she doesn't eat it with much gusto...and should I not feed the 1lb of Progressive Pro Adv/Envision for now...maybe it's too much too soon(currently getting 4lbs TC Senior+1lb Pro Adv+1lb Envision/day)

My other choices would be TC Complete, Pennfields Fibergized or Fibergized Omega, others have also mentioned Seminole Wellness, Tribute, and Poulin EquiPro FibreMax-that would be difficult to get...not impossible though-would do if it were hands down the best option

At 4lb TC Sr I'd probably cut the Pro Adv to 1/2lb.

Why not try the TC Growth?

I feed UNSOAKED beet pulp all the time. You can feed it just fine with out soaking it.

Some horses do not like it soaked. Try giving small amounts dry mixed with your other feed. Sometimes when it is wet, it can give off a cat pee smell. Some horses do not like it.

One of my endurance horses would eat bp any way you dish it up. However, come to a vet check, he would not eat one bite of ANY food that was wet. And that includes beet pulp. Any other type ride, he would eat it wet, sloppy or whatever way you wanted to serve it. I served it the same way as always and he would turn his nose up. Remove the water, he would eat just fine.

Pellets, soak, but shredded you do not have to.

Got an old mare now, and she will not eat wet bp at all ever. Dry yes. SO she eats that and alf pellets. She looks great.

I certainly could try the Growth, but my feed store oddly doesn't stock that...they mainly keep TC Senior, Complete , Lite,and Low Starch...I am only giving 4lbs of Senior bc she doesn't eat much more than that...maybe I could increase it to 5lbs/day and just take away the Progressive for now....simplify things....maybe less is more right now for her?!?

Apologies if this is a silly question--but what are you hoping to gain from feeding something like the TC Senior? Are you just wanting extra calories?

I'd be tempted to cut the TC Senior, feed the recommended amount of the Progressive Grass balancer and possibly up the Envision fat supplement if you're needing the extra calories. Or, you could add in something like alfalfa pellets or cubes (although the cubes you will have to soak). Oil is also another great way to get additional calories in rations.

My Thoroughbred is also on Progressive's Pro Advantage Grass RB (his recommended about 2 1/2 lb per day). We also put him on Omegatin which is a fat "supplement" type feed very much like Progressive's Envision. He gets 4 lb / day of the Omagatin which was recommended by my vet when he lost some weight with the really high temperatures last summer. It is only 20% fat vs. Envision's 26% but it had some other things I wanted in it and worked out to be cheaper to get the same amount of fat into him. He also gets alfalfa pellets--unsoaked--but I did less alfalfa pellets and more alfalfa cubes this winter just to get more water into him. He's also been getting oil while we've been getting the weight back on him.

Now that he's put the weight back on I will be backing off on some of the amounts of Omegatin as well as some of the alfalfa pellets/cubes and oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I would try the Sr just by itself and see how she likes it, you might be right she just doesn't like the wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage.For.Life. View Post
    Apologies if this is a silly question--but what are you hoping to gain from feeding something like the TC Senior? Are you just wanting extra calories?

I'd be tempted to cut the TC Senior, feed the recommended amount of the Progressive Grass balancer and possibly up the Envision fat supplement if you're needing the extra calories. Or, you could add in something like alfalfa pellets or cubes (although the cubes you will have to soak). Oil is also another great way to get additional calories in rations.

My Thoroughbred is also on Progressive's Pro Advantage Grass RB (his recommended about 2 1/2 lb per day). We also put him on Omegatin which is a fat "supplement" type feed very much like Progressive's Envision. He gets 4 lb / day of the Omagatin which was recommended by my vet when he lost some weight with the really high temperatures last summer. It is only 20% fat vs. Envision's 26% but it had some other things I wanted in it and worked out to be cheaper to get the same amount of fat into him. He also gets alfalfa pellets--unsoaked--but I did less alfalfa pellets and more alfalfa cubes this winter just to get more water into him. He's also been getting oil while we've been getting the weight back on him.

Now that he's put the weight back on I will be backing off on some of the amounts of Omegatin as well as some of the alfalfa pellets/cubes and oil.
    I started off with the TC Senior bc she wouldn't touch the Progressive or beetpulp when I first got her...so I was looking for a high quality, palatable, highfat/fiber/low starch&sugar to gain weight .... My plan was to wean her off the senior and slowly add in the Progressive Pro Advantage/Envision ....I was afraid that the Pro Adv/Envision won't be enough calorie wise without the addition of soaked bp which is the combo that all of my other horses get ?? I suppose I could up the amounts if she were getting just Progressive without the senior ....I'd imagine probably 3lbs Pro Advantage Adult Diet Balancer/3lbs Envision/day until she gained weight, and improved her overall condition/topline ...I could always add a handful or two of the Senior if she doesn't seem crazy about it?? She just doesn't ever really act hungry or eager to eat.....just might take some time to adjust to her new lifestyle I suppose...hopefully getting her teeth done, and dewormed will help too!

I'd honestly see if she will now eat just the Progressive balancer and Envision (without the beep and TC Senior), since she doesn't really seem to like the TC Senior anyway. If she'll eat it, just up the Envision. You don't want to feed more of the ration balancer than is recommended because it's just vitamins/minerals--it's not energy dense / really calorie filled at all. My TB is around 1200 lb and moderately worked so he's needs the 2 1/2 - 3 lb range.

If you find you still need more calories, or if she's still not too interested in the feed you can add some oil to try and make it more palatable for her and to get more fat into her. Alfalfa pellets or soaked cubes are something I would try as well--some horses really like them and the pellets you do not have to soak (and I've never had a problem with them). If she likes the alfalfa pellets or cubes they're a fairly good way to get extra calories in.

How is she about eating hay? Is she more interested in that? And how long have you had her? Fingers crossed that she's just having a little trouble eating the grain and that she's more interested in it after she gets her teeth done!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I would see if you could get a "taste tester" of the Pennfields Fibergized and see how she likes it. I'm a big fan of the Pennfields brand and have almost every horse here on the farm on it.

I had a sick horse who had to eat beep because of liver problems. She hated it. However I lived near an apple orchard so I bought apples in bulk and would shred a few a day in the food processor and mix them with the beet pulp. It was the only way I could get her to eat it.

I've only had her for not quite a month yet...so I'm sure its a shock to her system transitioning from living at the track for the past 2 years straight with no turnout until now she eats my hay fairly well-and seems to want that more than her feed-that could be teeth related as well...she just never seems hungry or eager to eat...I'm sure it's just gonna take some time...she's been getting Succeed since day one, along with Nutracell Labs Ulcer Aide Liquid that I dose orally...and she's had the Canadian Omeprazole for the past 2 1/2 weeks. ..I'm going to continue for 2 more wks with that then put her on SmartGut Pellets .....I got her some Alfalfa pellets and EquiJewel Rice Bran pellets to see if she likes those...I also plan on picking up some Cocosoya Oil too ....I'm gonna see how she does on just the progressive by itself...if no luck with that I will try Fibergized or Tribute Kalm Ultra...fingers crossed!

2 members found this post helpful.