The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Do you stretch?

I used to be so flexible, But now, not so much,
    I have read that is the one thing that will make one old is loss of flexibility. I am not talking just for riding but for health in general. I do some basic ones, but would like to get a larger variety of stretches. I work out, well I did until a month and a half ago, went on Winter strike. But am ready to start back up.
    I am soooo tight, Bad I know, But help me out her!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

You could do the Sun Salutation series (Ashtanga Yoga) when you get up in the morning. 3 or 5 in a row would do the trick you can find them online I'm sure.
    Be careful not to push it too much tho! I'm told it's always best to stretch after working out.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Yes, Yoga and athletic sport type stretching alone and before and after pilates and strength training. It probably is more helpful to your body than any other type of exercise. I have been told that I have the spine of a person 25 years older than I am, but, by god, I can touch my toes.

I use exercise videos at home. I particularly like the ones that are done in 10 minute segments. Sometimes you can get the dvds more cheaply elsewhere, but I have found that the Collage Video catalog has accurate reviews. I get those designated as "staff favorites" and they are always good.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...-chi-videos-30
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

yes I can take a penny and stretch it into a dollar, well actually it now takes $1.10 to make a dollar... but in the old days I could do it

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Yes, Yoga and athletic sport type stretching alone and before and after pilates and strength training. It probably is more helpful to your body than any other type of exercise. I have been told that I have the spine of a person 25 years older than I am, but, by god, I can touch my toes.

I use exercise videos at home. I particularly like the ones that are done in 10 minute segments. Sometimes you can get the dvds more cheaply elsewhere, but I have found that the Collage Video catalog has accurate reviews. I get those designated as "staff favorites" and they are always good.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...-chi-videos-30
    Thank for that EH, I am going to check that out.
    I used to take a Beginners Yoga class at the gym, been a year or so, That was serious work, I would hate to see advanced, But I felt good and was way more flexible. Off to search out the sun salutations! Thanks!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

YES. My current favorite is the Stretching dvd in the p90X series. I don't always have time to do the whole video (it's over an hour long) but even if I can do the first 20 minutes, I really feel a difference through out my day. I also have a few specific stretches that my chiro demands I do every day, to help with my horrific posture
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

I love this website. They guy has great stretches for every part of the body, and I like that you can search by body part. For me, it's hamstrings and hips, and they are very often the cause of low back pain.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

As people get older, connective tissue ages and is not as flexible as it used to be, if you work at keeping it healthy and functional or not.

That is why so many today in the 45 to 65 group are having orthopedic injuries, trying to do what their body today is not as ready to do.

Stretching is good for you, but the older, the more you need to do light warm up before stretching and once done a good cool down and while stretching, be sensible, don't overdo it.

Before skating (I bomb around the rink a few times to warm up before stretching on the boards) and I try to be good about it before dance. But not as a general exercise for itself. I've never been especially flexible in that regard, despite scary turnout, and God bless my current dance pro for thinking to ask if I ever WAS flexible as a kid (no, never been at all.) Though I suspect he's smart there because while HE was flexible, his wife and pro partner wasn't so he's more aware than some how people can have natural limitations.