The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I have a job interview! Monday!

Hope OT doesn't end as soon as I post this but, Yay! I finally, after months of filling out applications and cold calling and sending out mass resumes and cover letters, I have a job interview on Monday! And it's not some just some entry-level-whatever job I would take because I need a job, but it's a good job at a vet clinic whose owner wants someone to run their boarding and grooming business.

I did let him know I wasn't very knowledgeable on the grooming side and he said there are options to help me with that. I'm incredibly excited because it not only appeals to the animal lover in me but also my business side which is what my degree is actually. I'm already formulating plans in my head lol.

On the other hand, I am incredibly scared, for a couple reasons, I have panic disorder(social phobia) and while it isn't nearly as bad as it once was, it still simmers in the background and I know a new job will bring it forward.

Basically I think I want some hugs and jingles it goes ok Monday and I don't completely embarrass myself.

Maybe some commiseration on others nervous first days?

THANK YOU seriously that helped just to write it out.
    Slave at the insane aslyum known as Hillyard Farms....

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats...

Jingles all goes well on Monday!

Just take a breath; managing the operation doesn't mean doing everything all the time.

A question you might have for the owners would be what do they want? Are they expecting to grow the business or just maintain it?

Growth could come by adding groomers as part timers, maybe line up two or three that could work on a rotation as some people will prefer Jane or Mary's style.

Is the operation large enough to provide overflow boarding to other vet clinics?

Add other services, training comes to mind. Rather than having doggie for a three day weekend ; extend to ten days for training.

You will do well

Yay!! Congrats! Just try to relax, and go in there prepared. I find it helps to go through possible questions you might be asked, and give answers out loud (to no one) to prepare. Think about what previous experiences make you a good candidate for the job. When you've dealt with difficult people, how have you done it? What are your strengths, and what is your biggest weakness? What specific skills do you have which would be an asset to the position? If your previous employer had to describe you in 3 words, what would they be? When conflict arises between coworkers or with clients, how do you handle it? What are some issues you've confronted in previous employment and how did you handle them? (Those are just some of the questions I've been asked in interviews.)

Good luck!!!

Congratats! Spend some time this weekend learning a bit about dog grooming. What do groomers consider important? What do the customers want? Do you have a friend who's a dog groomer? Check facebook and COTH and maybe you do. Yes, there's a lot you will need to learn, but you can do some research between now and Monday. You can also pick up enough to be able to draw good sensible parallels between your area of expertise, and dog grooming. Good luck!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

Excellent advice above! Lots of congrats and I hope OT stays open so you can update us! Good Luck!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Thank you all for the kind words, I'll keep your advice in mind and hopefully have a good update!
    Slave at the insane aslyum known as Hillyard Farms....

There are definitely some good suggestions above. A lot of business interviews tend toward behavioral questions now, so you do want to think about what questions might be asked and have some solid answers ready. Also, if the interviewer is good, the question about your weaknesses being answered with something positive (e.g., I'm too detail oriented) will not fly.

The other thing to remember is you should have a list of questions to ask them. Perhaps you can ask questions along the lines of how they would describe the culture/environment at the clinic, what traits the person they think will excel in the job would have, and others in a similar vein.

An answer for the weakness question... Your lack of experience with the grooming side of things from a commercial perspective. But you can probably say you're a fast learner and look forward to picking it up.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Jingles!!!!