The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I like the name Hazel though reading Watership Down has made me see it as a boy's name, which is odd...

I have an online friend whose "handle" is Felix so that sounds just fine to me! LOL

I knew a realtor named Pixie. She called me "Hon" in a very patronizing tone... Not a fan of the name or the person.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    My first great neice was born last month--an Isabella. They're calling her "Izzy."
    At least it's not Bella, like every other girl born in the past 2 years.

I teach in an urban mostly Latino school. I have a girl named Sincerely.

Last year the teacher in the next room was named Mr. Castro. One day a student returned from school after an absence, so I took him next door to take a test. The kid was named Stalin. So I actually got to say, "Stalin, this is Castro."

A friend of mine is named Donna Susan Blank, but she was always called Susie. Imagine an entire life of having to correct teachers, cops, etc. So when she adopted a baby girl, what did she do? Named her Ana Isabella, and they call her Bella.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    You know how this works. In the early 1970s, a whole bunch of people, all separately, decided that Jennifer was a great and underused name.

So what are the Jennifers of today?
    The explosion of Jennifer was due to the incredibly popular movie (from the book) Love Story with Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw. 9 years later I had not one or two but FIVE Jennifers in ONE riding lesson. All the other lessons had at least one, but the 1:00 was all Jennifers.

As to where they are today? Taking care of all their daughters named Caitlin, Caytlyn, Kaytlynn, Katelyn, and Ashley.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

5 members found this post helpful.

I grew up with Sarahs, Katherines, and Laurens. I am Laura. I am still often called Lauren, and it gets old fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    You know, you can choose whatever name you like for your child...but do the world and your child a favor and spell it in a normal way. Perhaps following the Standard Rules for English? After 20 years in the classroom, I've seen some real doozies-- the child named Kattie comes to mind first. That spells Catty, anyway you slice it, right? Um no. That's Katy. After she got angry with me for mispronouncing her name, I tried to explain doubling the consonant and softening the vowel...to no avail. Jermy (missing that crucial second syllable).

Shithead was the worst I've come across. Yeah, you laughed didn't you? It was pronounced Sha-theed. Poor little girl

The Kaden, Aiden trend is strong, as are Bella, Olivia, Taylor. Some are beginning to mine the bible for Old Testament names. Please don't name your kid Uriah...oh, wait, somebody did! Bleh!
    Back in '85 a mail clerk at our office named Yvette, gave birth to a little girl she named after herself and her favorite tv show, Dynasty. Yes, she called her baby Dinette (as in 'set') LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Also, DH and I have probably agreed on a gender neutral name for # 3, who is a girl, but what is everybody's opinion on Mary Lee for a first name. I heard it a couple months ago and can't get it out of my head
    Nothing if you don't care that "merrily we roll along" comes to mind. Your other choices are better, in my very humble opinion

Bella, Arabella, Isabelle, Isabella are entirely overused.

Muriel is an old name that hasn't yet resurfaced. I heartily recommend it. Elsa is another one. Still not fond of Mabel.

Rustbreeches, did you know that Shennandoah means daughter of the stars?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I've got a Heaven this year--she self selected to be called "Scout" instead, much to her parent's disgust. I hate the name "Nevaeh", too.

Parents also need to consider the first and last name being said together: I had a Destiny Dick in my class 12 years ago! I kid you not. Poor, sweet thing--all I could imagine is that would make a hell of an exotic dancer moniker when she turned 18!

I have a young man of color this year who is named for a French brandy--but not spelled that way. Silly.
    I believe I have met a girl with the given name Scout.

And yes, there are common-sense rules about naming... which get disregarded.

1. You can't make your kid's first name the same as your last name, e.g. William Williams.

2. A funky speling of a common name is half-a$$ed originality. When push comes to shove, folks will hear the name and only give the parents credit for picking the common one. The kid, however, will spend a lifetime correcting the spelling... with very little pay-off.
    My buddy Tiphanie knows what I'm talking about.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    The explosion of Jennifer was due to the incredibly popular movie (from the book) Love Story with Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw.
    Did not know that! Thanks for the historical clue.

And I think Kate has been the nickname for Catherine that has said "Watch out!" since Shakespeare's character in The Taming Of The Shrew. You can chill that out with Katie.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Rustbreeches, I think I went to Verity after reading MaryLee for a reason...

[QUOTE=JanM;6854275]When I was in school there were tons of Debbie's, and Susan's. So many of them that they mostly went by nicknames or their last name. I don't know what happened to them all either, they disappeared like the dinosaurs.

No Jan M !! Us "Debbies" are alive and kicking in our late 50's and 60's. there are so many around we have to go as Deb D. Or Deb R.. We laugh that no one uses the name either. .. I think "Debbie Does Dallas" killed it for future Debs

I like Jane and Mary which are coming back .never hearof any of the "een" names which I disliked- Doreen,Colleen, Irene Eileen etc. no Hilda's or Gertrude's yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    The explosion of Jennifer was due to the incredibly popular movie (from the book) Love Story with Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw. 9 years later I had not one or two but FIVE Jennifers in ONE riding lesson. All the other lessons had at least one, but the 1:00 was all Jennifers.
    You know, on some level I realize that character had to have a name, but I've honestly never known it. I know the names of the actors, the name of the author, that Al Gore claimed to have inspired the book, the 2002 pairs program by Sale and Pelltier to the soundtrack, and "Ali McGraw's Disease" as coined by Roger Ebert is a reference to the film (a movie illness in which the only symptom is the victim grows more beautiful as death approaches). But I haven't got the slightest idea what the characters are called. (That's one of those books/movies where my mother has told me "You wouldn't like it" and she's generally right about these things.)

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I believe I have met a girl with the given name Scout.

And yes, there are common-sense rules about naming... which get disregarded.

1. You can't make your kid's first name the same as your last name, e.g. William Williams.

2. A funky speling of a common name is half-a$$ed originality. When push comes to shove, folks will hear the name and only give the parents credit for picking the common one. The kid, however, will spend a lifetime correcting the spelling... with very little pay-off.
    My buddy Tiphanie knows what I'm talking about.
    Name changed to protect the innocent since he was a patient where I was working...

Donald David Donalds. Always knew who was calling, after the first time. "Hello, my name is Donalds."

I also have a buddy named Tiphanie, which I frankly always thought of as a misspelling of the French variant Tiphaine. That one is a pretty name... which inevitably most people would think of as "that crazy momma misspelled Tiffany."
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I'm just thankful that there hasn't been a rash of "Renesmes."

Half of the little girls I run into seem to be some variant of Sophie/Sophia. I pretty name, but getting overused.

On another horse board, someone was talking about how they planned to name their daughter Rowdy. I suggested that maybe they might want to avoid naming their little girl a dog's name. Several other people chimed in that they knew lots of Rowdys. Maybe it's me, but that doesn't exactly scream "high powered attorney" so much as it does "stripper."
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

7 members found this post helpful.

Spelling my husband's name is always fun.....it's said Trevor, but the way it's spelled looks like it should rhyme with 'beaver'..... We are *always* asked if that's how is name is actually spelled....
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

People have a REALLY hard time with my name...so much so, I make up names when ordering food, lol. I usually go with a weird mans name, just to amuse myself. They also cannot say it, or replace the "n" with an "m" for some reason? I still have yet to fIgure that one out...

My sisters name is Susannah, I have cousins Siobhan, Kiran, and Callum, Kirsten, Astrid, and Daron. I don't hear those too frequently. I've only met a handful of "Ainsley's" in my life. I do know a girl name Aoife, ( A faa) which is very pretty, and she has the pronunciation thing worse than me, haha.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post

I also have a buddy named Tiphanie, which I frankly always thought of as a misspelling of the French variant Tiphaine. That one is a pretty name... which inevitably most people would think of as "that crazy momma misspelled Tiffany."
    I had no idea that there was a french variant. I assume Tiffany came from the family name of the jeweler/stained glass people.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

DH and I are going to start trying to get prego soon, so this has been a topic on my mind lately...we both like Cameron for a boy...thoughts? Objections? My first choice is actually Cooper, but DH doesn't like. Middle name would likely be Nicholas after my dad.

Girl names are harder for me and DH and I can come to no consensus at all. His always sound like stripper names, and he says the ones I like are too old fashioned. I like Anabell, Charlotte, Avery, and Harper, but all of those are pretty popular. Also Nell, Quinn, Elinor or Elin, and Rosalie (NOT from Twilight. My grandmother is Rosemary). Not in love with any at the moment. Suggestions welcome. Criteria are: somewhat traditional, not extremely popular, not stripperish, no odd spellings.

I'm Caitlin, and I've never minded it. It's spelled correctly and I'm a bit older than the huge swarm of Katelyn/Catelynn/Katlins that came around in the 90s.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post

Girl names are harder for me and DH and I can come to no consensus at all. His always sound like stripper names, and he says the ones I like are too old fashioned. I like Anabell, Charlotte, Avery, and Harper, but all of those are pretty popular. Also Nell, Quinn, Elinor or Elin, and Rosalie (NOT from Twilight. My grandmother is Rosemary). Not in love with any at the moment. Suggestions welcome. Criteria are: somewhat traditional, not extremely popular, not stripperish, no odd spellings.
    I just have to respond to this post because it hits close to home!

I have two female sugar bears (Annabelle Brooke and Charlotte Olivia), a great uncle (Avery) and my name is Rosalie.

I don't dislike my name at all, but I can tell you from experience that if you name your daughter Rosalie, she will be set for lots of mispellings and mispronuciations.

I live in an area where Lee is a relatively common last name. You would not believe how many people (who until they see my name in print), think my full name is Rosa Lee.