The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    But the other three, what is weird or trendy about those names?
    Never said weird. No negative connotations in my post. Sheesh.

6 members found this post helpful.

Default Old fashion names now becoming fashionable...

Just heard on radio that some if them old fashion names coming back.
    Examples :- Norah, Oliver , Hazel,Ursula, Oscar , Charles....
    I actually have a grand niece and nephew named Hazel & Oscar. Mother namd them as her first child , Ava , was overly popular.
    I called her to say the later names coming into style... She was not thrilled... Just when she thought she was being original.

When I was in school there were tons of Debbie's, and Susan's. So many of them that they mostly went by nicknames or their last name. I don't know what happened to them all either, they disappeared like the dinosaurs.

During the late 90's and early 2000's there were all variations of Brittany, Britney, Brittany, etc, and tons of various spellings of Tiffany.

If you go to televisionwithout pity, click on All Forums, under the Forum tab at the top, and go to Candid Reality, click on the Toddlers & Tiaras show thread to see al of the variations of Mckenzie, Mckayla, Ashley, etc. It's very entertaining.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Why would you lump Aidan in with those others? It's a ancient name and has been used continuously for centuries. There is nothing obscure, new fangled or trendy about it.

I've never been a fan of surnames being converted into first names, and always found that annoying. But I have come to understand there is actually a tradition of this in parts of the south, where a child is given the mother's maiden name. I think it works alright with many anglo/English surnames, but often doesn't come off with names from other backgrounds/cultures.

It's also a bit annoying when names get taken from other cultures, at least the spelling does, but the pronunciation doesn't make the transition. That can be jarring to the ears if you are familiar with the original pronunciation. Caitlin would be a prime example.
    There's nothing really wrong with Aiden but it's definitely trendy having been at the top of the popularity list for the last few years.

http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2012

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Maybe mom could negotiate on the spelling. Go get a bag of JAX and ask dad if he really wants his son's name associated with a snack food as opposed to say, Andrew Jackson, or even Jackson Browne. (might want to gloss over the whole Michael Jackson thing though).
    Mom has tried... I gather that Dad's family has a bit of a tradition about naming sons with the letter X in the name. Xavier was promptly suggested but the boy will be named Jaxon and called Jack.

I would not be surprised to see a bunch of little girls called Khaleesi running around in a year or two, either. I rank that one as worse than Katniss; Katniss at least can insist on being called Kat like every other Katherine I meet. But funny enough, Hermione and Ginevra don't seem to have caught on...
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

3 members found this post helpful.

Due to a new puppy in training, I've realized that I really like the name Georgia. I just love saying it

I kind of like the fact that more old fashioned names are making a comeback. I really detest all these cutsie names that seem to have been popular over the past few years.

However, I doubt that (if and when) I ever have children, I would consult the top baby names to help me choose one. I'll probably go with a family name, but that's just me.

We went with the older names trend with my daughter--Ruby. Violet and Hazel were also in contention.

There are 2 girls named Avery in my daughter's class, as well as all the now popular -dens.

Interestingly, Ruby doesn't even make the top 100 names in the US, but is in the top 5 in the UK.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    I still cannot believe people would name their child Bella or Katniss after book characters..... I liked the name Edward for a middle name....now DH and I are rethinking it (not that we currently have a reason...but down the line)....don't want to be associated with the Twihards....
    Ditto. Seriously. We're not there either, but were recently discussing this same thing. Used to love Edward as a middle name (and it's DH's middle name). Want to hear sick? I used to want the name Jacob Edward Lastname. Nope. Couldn't do that to my kid, no matter how well it fits.

Why would you lump Aidan in with those others?
    'Cause it rythmes?
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Forgot to add, there was a family that I never met, but some friends of mine knew them. They had twins, a boy and a girl. They were BOTH named Hunter.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I like that a lot of older names are making comebacks. I am seeing more names like Ella, Sophie, Abigail.

I admit to using my mother's maiden name for my daughter's first name, but in a hypocritical twist, I detest random last names for first names. It comes of as pretentious to me, but there were a whole generation of Kennedys and MacKenzies after me.

As for 'boy' names being used now, lets not forget that a couple generations ago Kimberly, Beverly, Shirley, Ashley, Vivian and others were boy names.

Also, DH and I have probably agreed on a gender neutral name for # 3, who is a girl, but what is everybody's opinion on Mary Lee for a first name. I heard it a couple months ago and can't get it out of my head
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I teach college classes and it's becoming more common for students with some of these excessively fanciful or oddly spelled names to make different choices for themselves, either by using a middle name or nickname instead, or, in the case, of one young woman last semester, quietly informing me after class that even though her name on the roster is <bizarrely spelled version of a common trendy name of mid-1990s>, she prefers and uses the common spelling, and could I please change it on the sign out sheet. Apparently the poor kiddo was embarrassed by the weird spelling of her name and didn't want others to see it.

Mickey is your real name Jennifer? LOL I think you need to look up the definition of "trendy". You're very defensive for some reason.

I think that Abby is the Jennifer of lately. And I love the name Abby, it's a family name, but I wouldn't use it. We lived in a part of Montana that people moved to to fulfill their Montana Mecca Dream and there happened to be a Madison River there and OMG the Madisons. Dogs, cats, kids, boys, girls, horses, everything was named Madison. And the Bridger Mountains were there too so we had Bridgers everywhere.

Aiden is too trendy, it blew up after the Legends of the Fall movie with Brad Pitt years ago.

Anything named after pop culture just makes my skin crawl. My daughter's name is Aralyn and her paternal grandfather STILL calls her Ariel sometimes and it ticks me off. I named her that after a family name four generations back and I'm going to not be happy if it creeps out into pop culture somehow. I wanted her to have a unique name but nothing too "out there".

I have a friend named Verity and I think it's the coolest name ever. I really lean to unique names....

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    or, in the case, of one young woman last semester, quietly informing me after class that even though her name on the roster is <bizarrely spelled version of a common trendy name of mid-1990s>, she prefers and uses the common spelling, and could I please change it on the sign out sheet. Apparently the poor kiddo was embarrassed by the weird spelling of her name and didn't want others to see it.
    That is so sad. Parents need to remember that the moniker with which they bless or curse their children is something that child will have to deal with until they can legally change it!

This is the list from my sons preschool:

Aiden, Anthony, Avery (boy), Ella, Elsa, Garrison, Harper(girl), Leo, Liam, Luca (boy), Maddie, Mason, Michael, Nolan, Olivia, Riley (boy), Simone, and Taylor (boy).

I would say in general you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an under 8yo named Aiden, Liam, Skyler (both sexes), Jordan (both sexes), Olivia, and Taylor (both sexes). Also Sierra and a billion permutations of Madison or Maddie.

I went old school and named my son Wesley after my much beloved grandfather, and so far we haven't met another one. My first name was one of those "rare and exotic names" when it was given to me and there were five of us in my high school graduation class of 76 students, lol. I'm "lucky" enough to also have had my name immortalized in a cult classic film, which also added to the popularity--that's right, I'm a Heather.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Our rule for names was it had to be something strong for both of my children. A name that an attorney could have. My own name which a few people know is a bastardized version of another name and I hate it, always have to say "Yes, that is my real name". My mother when I asked her about it said, "Yes I should have named you the proper name". Thanks Mom...

My mother wanted to name my littlest brother Liam when he was born (12 years ago). But decided not to because she thought everyone would think it's short for William.

So Liam became his middle name and he got a family name as his first name.

Now?

Everyone is named Liam and I tease her about not naming him the name she wanted.

(Poor child was born and the family was arguing over about 5 names: Brendan, Liam, Thomas, Joseph etc. Ended up pulling his name out of a cup at the hosptail - 5 times in a row! So he was destined to be named what he ended up being named).

Though I do tease my family that everyone else got proper Irish names and I got stuck with a very 'American' name as I was the oldest of the first generation kids in America.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

I just learned here, people, about a dating website for people who want to have extramarrital affairs. It's called AshleyMadison.

Those names suggest white, upper class, discreet, not slutty to look at (but of course slutty enough to be your cheater). But by the time a name does the "trickle down" to this level, it no longer has the uppity connotations the parents may have wished.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I thought that about the names too, picture it on a doctor's ID badge. I didn't want to name to have a long e ending either, it's the diminutive of so many names I didn't want her to be stuck with something that sounds too cute. I grew up Mandy but changed to Amanda in college. And really detest how many other people have my name, it's been in the top 10 or 20 for a century I think. Mom picked it on a whim but I have to admit it was better than Penelope like my grandpa wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I just learned here, people, about a dating website for people who want to have extramarrital affairs. It's called AshleyMadison.

Those names suggest white, upper class, discreet, not slutty to look at (but of course slutty enough to be your cheater). But by the time a name does the "trickle down" to this level, it no longer has the uppity connotations the parents may have wished.
    The founder named it after the two most popular girl names the year he founded the company