The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

I freaking hate my name because my parents did not run tests on it first. I know it's supposed to be a sign of bad self-esteem to hate your own name, but this one is a PITA. No one can spell it correctly (my SIL can't even consistently MISSPELL it), pronounce it on the first introduction (usually four or five tries, by which point I find I'm speaking very slowly and practically shouting as if the other person is deaf), or read it off the page properly.

I was supposed to be "Jill". Nice and simple. Dad came up with my irritating moniker at the last minute. I actually considered changing my name to my alter a couple of years ago, but it'd be an uphill climb as I'm in my early 40s.

Googling my name shows me that there are others out there. They all seem to be African-American, which for some reason just cracks me up.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am a huge fan of The Chronicles of Narnia and so I would love to name a son Edmund someday, which is fitting because my dad is named Edd (goes by his middle name, Tate). DH, however, strongly vetoes Edmund and says he would get seriously teased. I can kind of see where he's coming from. My counter argument is that we will obviously just need to move to England
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    My boss's name is Taryn. She was definitely born well before the late 80's though. You're only the second person I've ever "met" with that name.
    There's not too many of us around! My mom saw the actor Taryn Power in The Count of Monte Cristo, 1975, and really liked the name.

Mara - I hear you about the misspelling. My husband's family constantly addresses cards, etc to "Taren" or "Tayrn". They've only known me for ten years.

However - I just have to mention this: I know two little girls, both 4 years old, named Addison. The parents of one of the girls call her "Addie", not sure about the other family. Every time I hear their name I think of Addison's disease! Having worked in a vet clinic, I can't help it!

2 members found this post helpful.

One of my favorite guy names is Elliott. Not because of SVU - I've always liked it. Unfortunately I keep thinking about that John Cusack line from "The Sure Thing", when Daphne Zuniga's character is pretending to be pregnant so they can hitch a ride:
    "Elliott? Elliott? Elliott is the fat kid who eats paste!"

I like using family names, which can get confusing when everyone gets together. We are going on a family vacation with 2 Deanas , a Dean and a Nina. My name is a family name and have a niece and a now deceased Aunt with the same name. I have a great nephew name Xavier ( with"X" proununced) and his sister is Clarissa Jae. Problem is no one really uses her name. She was Hootie in utero. Most of us call her that but she's getting called CJ a lot more. It will interesting to see what name she chooses when she is older.

My daughter is a teacher and she says every name gets ruined pretty quick so it's easier to choose names from the family.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Definitely! I really don't like cutesy names as given names, or ones that sound like/traditionally are nicknames. We're adults (hopefully) much longer than we are children, and i think parents sometimes imagine naming a bitty baby or toddler with bows, not naming a future teen, young adult, budding professional, etc.
    I had major fears when my best friends had their first baby, calling him Bubba. He was that until about 4-ish...when they thankfully went back to his given name..the very popular Josh.

They also have three girls: Lucy, Grace and Lily. There's the old fashioned thing. Lily was tied with Ruby for a while, but Ruby lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    The explosion of Jennifer was due to the incredibly popular movie (from the book) Love Story with Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw. 9 years later I had not one or two but FIVE Jennifers in ONE riding lesson. All the other lessons had at least one, but the 1:00 was all Jennifers.
    This is going out to all the Jennifers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nN_5kkYR6k

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Still not fond of Mabel.
    I love Mabel...and mostly because it was the name of one a jet black mare in the barn I rode at as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    ETA - DD's name is native American, and not a 'normal" name. It fits her well. But she was lamenting the other day that she cannot ever find anything with her name on it in stores. Bet Bumpy can't either.
    I could never find my name either. Well, I could find it, but it was never spelled "correctly." I hated that. To this day, I rarely find people that spell my name right the first time...and sometimes even for years. Oddly, I have a step SIL with the same name and spelling. We also have two Bonnie's in the family (and two Peggy's...although I know a lot of other Peggy's as well).

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post

I have a difficult name for people. My Mother is a native Hawaiian so we all have Hawaiian names.
    I have a high school friend with the same name. It's funny, 'cause I saw your name and never thought it could be the same pronunciation, but I do believe it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    One of my favorite guy names is Elliott. Not because of SVU - I've always liked it. Unfortunately I keep thinking about that John Cusack line from "The Sure Thing", when Daphne Zuniga's character is pretending to be pregnant so they can hitch a ride:
    "Elliott? Elliott? Elliott is the fat kid who eats paste!"
    :teehee: I do like Elliott, though, on a count of "Scrubs".

I'm never going to have kids, so my names don't really matter anymore...although one is getting popular and I would've had a DD with one of "those" names...Quinn. I've always wanted to name a boy Seamus, but seeing that I'm only the tiniest smidges of Irish...it felt wrong.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    You know, on some level I realize that character had to have a name, but I've honestly never known it. I know the names of the actors, the name of the author, that Al Gore claimed to have inspired the book, the 2002 pairs program by Sale and Pelltier to the soundtrack, and "Ali McGraw's Disease" as coined by Roger Ebert is a reference to the film (a movie illness in which the only symptom is the victim grows more beautiful as death approaches). But I haven't got the slightest idea what the characters are called. (That's one of those books/movies where my mother has told me "You wouldn't like it" and she's generally right about these things.)
    Had to laugh when I read this because I had to really think what Ryan O'Neals characters name was. Oliver. Lots of horses and dogs benefited from that one, but not a lot of baby boys.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Girl names are harder for me and DH and I can come to no consensus at all. His always sound like stripper names, and he says the ones I like are too old fashioned. I like Anabell, Charlotte, Avery, and Harper, but all of those are pretty popular. Also Nell, Quinn, Elinor or Elin, and Rosalie (NOT from Twilight. My grandmother is Rosemary). Not in love with any at the moment. Suggestions welcome. Criteria are: somewhat traditional, not extremely popular, not stripperish, no odd spellings.
    What about Hadley? That's a pretty old-fashioned name that isn't popular at the moment. I recently read The Paris Wife, which is about Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley, and I really started liking the name.

I'm not having kids any time soon, but I really want either a female mini-donk or dog that I can name Aria (which would have been perfect for my last Huskey who was named Sasha, because she loved to sing in a high pitch ).

It's so much more fun to name pets. For example, I have a kitty named Stinkerbelle- it is the perfect name for her. What I can't stand is
    1. Anyone with the exact same name as their mama or papa. "Is Joe there?" "Which one?"
    2. very long names. Especially if the last name is long, make the first name short. Imagine being named Dominique Elizabeth. Would hate to fill out all those little bubbles on test sheets.
    3. First and last names that could both be first names such as John James.
    4. Really plain names like Linda and Mary.

If I had a child to name I would pick a name that I liked that was NOT popular and classy.

That said, my mom (born in 1930) picked out her future daughter's name (me) when she was a kid and at the time it was an uncommon name. When I was born (1963), it was a popular name. My mom struggled with naming me a popular name but she loved the name so I got it. I actually like my name so it all worked out.

It's so much more fun to name pets. For example, I have a kitty named Stinkerbelle- it is the perfect name for her. What I can't stand is
    1. Anyone with the exact same name as their mama or papa. "Is Joe there?" "Which one?"
    2. very long names. Especially if the last name is long, make the first name short. Imagine being named Dominique Elizabeth. Would hate to fill out all those little bubbles on test sheets.
    3. First and last names that could both be first names such as John James.
    4. Really plain names like Linda, Fred, Mary, John.

If I had a child to name I would pick a name that I liked that was classy and NOT popular.

That said, my mom (born in 1930) picked out her future daughter's name (me) when she was a kid and at the time it was an uncommon name. When I was born (1963), it was a popular name. My mom struggled with naming me a popular name but she loved the name so I got it. I actually like my name so it all worked out.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'm old. To me, Jax is the name of a defunct (or is it?) New Orleans beer.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'm Megan, and was born in 1982. I've very rarely come across any other Megans, and when I have/do; the spelling of their name includes a lot of extra letters (Meaghan, Meghean, etc.).

I've met maybe one or two others with the name "Megan," spelled the plain way.

I knew exactly one girl with my middle name, we met when I was in high school. "Rose." We were both shocked when we found out, because that is a pretty rare name for anybody to have (first or last); at any age.

My favorite riding instructor (who is also one of my best friends) gave her daughter the middle name of "Rose" in my honor. And that made me feel pretty damn special.

But besides that, I doubt that her daughter will come across many [if any!] other girls her age with that same middle name.

I always found it annoying when I was growing up that I couldn't find keychains and such with my first name on them (or with the right spelling), but as I've gotten older, I've definitely come to appreciate it. It's different, without being ridiculous. It's relatively uncommon, but not unknown. And I like that I could invent my very own tagline based on the spelling of my first name: "putting the G in Mean since 1982."

(G being "Gangster," of couse)

My friends are all starting families now, and some of the names they've chosen for their kids are awesome: Jasper, Cash, and Harper being among my favorites. I'm kind of saddened to hear that Harper is now becoming more of a 'known'/popular name, though. Her parents put a lot of thought into picking that name (To Kill a Mockingbird is their favorite book of all time; and I think that was the book they were studying when they met in school/began dating). Johnny Cash was the inspiration of my friends to name their son "Cash," which I think is incredibly cool... I like the names that are representative of something important, inspirational, or sacred to the parents. I'm not a fan of the names that at least 2+ other kids in a class are going to have. (Madison, Cameron, Gage, etc...)

I am unable to have kids of my own, so I don't know what I would have named any; if my fate were different. I absolutely LOVE the name Grace. And like others who have posted on this thread, am drawn to the very old names. I guess as time goes on and I collect more cats, I will explore what 'new old' names are out there that intrigue me
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    What about Hadley? That's a pretty old-fashioned name that isn't popular at the moment. I recently read The Paris Wife, which is about Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley, and I really started liking the name..
    I absolutely love the name Hadley and would use it in a heartbeat, except we live like 2 miles from PRCA announcer Hadley Barrett and his Daughter in Law was my daughter's soccer coach. I think it would just come off odd in our community
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

My name happens to be a common late 40's early 50's name. While in school I knew many others. We all had our first name in common, but also had last names which were (male) first names as well. So we went through school calling each other by our last names - no confusion and actually grew to like it.

I delivered the birth certificate information to the maternity floor desk when my first child was born in 1972. "What? Not Jennifer?" was the question asked by the stunned staffer who took the paperwork. My daughter was named Julia, after my mother. Everyone assumed that I had named her after the character Julie in the current tv show "Mod Squad". Her middle name, however, is Michelle, named after the Beatles tune.

In naming my second daughter, DH really wanted to go with Kathy, Susan, Debbie or Linda. It was obvious he wasn't going to contribute much to the naming. I don't know where it came from, but we ended up with the name Jessica. She was cutting edge apparently, as an avalanche of Jessicas erupted in the 80's. Turns out there was an elder cousin on his side of the family with the name "Jessamine", so his family accepted it. I really wanted Alexis, named for a beautiful kindergarten friend of mine, but DH would have none of it, stating the nickname would be "Lexi" and he just couldn't handle that. Turns out, DH was huge with nicknames - Muley Julie and Messy Jessie were teased often.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post
    I'm Megan, and was born in 1982. I've very rarely come across any other Megans, and when I have/do; the spelling of their name includes a lot of extra letters (Meaghan, Meghean, etc.).

I've met maybe one or two others with the name "Megan," spelled the plain way.
    I think maybe you're just a few years too young for the name - I was born in 1976 (and I'm a Jennifer! Whee! I was ALMOST "Dawn" so I happily accept Jennifer!) and I have...4 close friends my age named Megan. I need more fingers than I have to count all the Megans I know!

2 members found this post helpful.

My full name is Kate, which separates me a little bit from the billion of Katherines, Caitlins, and Kathleens that I grew up with. But it does mean that I'm VERY against being called Katie. My parents did the President test for names. Each name they thought of had to sound good announced as "And the President of the United States....Kate Last Name." I graduated with a Brittnee who hated it because she thought it made her look like a flake. On the other hand, I know a Summer Rain who loves it.

Both of my sisters went old school for girl names (Josephine/Josie, Annabelle) and classic for boy names (Ryan, Benjamin).

My four year old niece has a girl in her class named Chastity. Um, that'll be awkward some day.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by grey_pony View Post
    The worst I heard was a girl named Memory... which seems like bad juju to me.
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

I've noticed a lot of older or unusual names lately - Evelyn, Grayson, Elsie, Georgia, Zelda...

Years ago, a girl that I knew in high school got pregnant and named the child Malachi from "The Children of the Corn." I thought that was quite sad.

A cousin of mine gave her son our family surname as his first name. The child has the surname of his father, and my cousin has her husband's surname now too...but my surname is still the same as my cousin's kid's first name. It's quite weird, honestly. So this kid comes to our M____ Family Reunion, and his first name is M____. I feel like that has to be somewhat odd for him. I mean, I like the name, and in fact kept it as my last name when I got married...but still.

When I named my daughter, I had never heard of another kid named "Skyler", she will be 14 this summer. Now, I hear alot of Schuyler's (pronounced Skyler) and they mostly seem to be boys.... I'm still in love with her name though. I used my maternal grandmother's maiden name as her middle name, Moran....I think it goes so well together Skyler Moran, and it means something to me. I love the idea of incorporating family names into a child's name, but also agree to keep the spelling normal LOL.
    Kerri

my former editor had a (female) Skylar...

one of the guys upstairs just named his son Ryder. all i can think is, while the kid's little he's going to think it's TOTALLY cool that there are big yellow trucks with his name on them. but what happens when he gets older? in school?

i am still scratching my head over the marketing coordinator who named her daughter 'Millage.' i realize i'm old and everything, but the millage rate is a method for calculating property tax... what am i missing here?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique