The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    DH and I are going to start trying to get prego soon, so this has been a topic on my mind lately...we both like Cameron for a boy...thoughts? Objections? My first choice is actually Cooper, but DH doesn't like. Middle name would likely be Nicholas after my dad.

Girl names are harder for me and DH and I can come to no consensus at all. His always sound like stripper names, and he says the ones I like are too old fashioned. I like Anabell, Charlotte, Avery, and Harper, but all of those are pretty popular. Also Nell, Quinn, Elinor or Elin, and Rosalie (NOT from Twilight. My grandmother is Rosemary). Not in love with any at the moment. Suggestions welcome. Criteria are: somewhat traditional, not extremely popular, not stripperish, no odd spellings.
    Cameron's a little on the trendy side. I like Cooper.

How 'bout something like Catherine Elizabeth for a girl? Very traditional, yet leaves tons of possibilities for nicknames. Also suitable for a doctor or lawyer. In my mind, Elin/Elinor are odd spellings, and Anabelle reminds me of the calf in the Christmas movie "Anabelle's Wish".

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Let'sTalkAboutHorses View Post
    I just have to respond to this post because it hits close to home!

I have two female sugar bears (Annabelle Brooke and Charlotte Olivia), a great uncle (Avery) and my name is Rosalie.

I don't dislike my name at all, but I can tell you from experience that if you name your daughter Rosalie, she will be set for lots of mispellings and mispronuciations.

I live in an area where Lee is a relatively common last name. You would not believe how many people (who until they see my name in print), think my full name is Rosa Lee.
    Great minds!

I like all of those names, just not sure if I love them enough to name a child any of them. My fav girl name used to be Olivia (Liv for short)...but that was before everybody and their brother decided to name their daughters that.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Cameron's a little on the trendy side. I like Cooper.

How 'bout something like Catherine Elizabeth for a girl? Very traditional, yet leaves tons of possibilities for nicknames. Also suitable for a doctor or lawyer. In my mind, Elin/Elinor are odd spellings, and Anabelle reminds me of the calf in the Christmas movie "Anabelle's Wish".
    My other grandmother is Elizabeth, so I definitely want to incorporate either that or Rose into the name, probably as a middle name. I'm not big on Catherine, but I do like Cady for a girl.

Elinor is an old spelling of Eleanor and Elin is Swedish. Pronounced E-Lin not Ellen.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    One name with the cutesy feel that gets love on Nameberry is Arabella. Ooof, i can't imagine naming someone that. Aside from the association in my mind of it being a smoosh of Arabian + falabella miniature horses, it just doesn't sound like the name of an adult woman. Arabella. So sugary.
    Sigh... My second grand daughter born one month ago is named Arabella... believe me, even though I have known the name since September, I seem to always "excuse" it when I tell people! My DIL is so Disney fanatic, but she swears it has nothing to do with it... sure! Baby's second name is Sylvie (her maternal grandmother) and my husband refers to the baby as Sylvie!! Luckily, we are several hours away so I think he is safe.

First granddaughter is Amalia and I do love her name. Second name is Anne (my name).

When my kids were born, I had to find names that fit both in English and in French, either same name or a nice translation. So my son is Matthew/Mathieu, but now goes by Matt! My daughter is Emily, but she legally changed her name to Emilie a few years ago! She liked the French spelling better and we had always used it.
    But Arabella... I find the "r" hard... she will end up "Bella"...

About the older names: I really hate Charles, Eugene, Joseph for babies. They will work later, but babies? In France, there has been a trend to use old names too : Arthur?? yuck... I like Victor, but again not for a baby! oh, and when "Dallas" was popular in France... there was a Sue-Ellen in every classroom!

I've always liked the name Arabella. "Ari" for short. But then again I never want kids so it doesn't really matter.

I've always liked Cooper, Jacob, Gabriel, Maxwell, Gideon for boys.

Arabella, Evelyn, Charlotte, Emma, Avery for girls.

I love the trend of kids getting "old fashioned" names like Augustus (actually I really like that name too) and Catherine. Can't stand naming kids after a book, Katniss...really? At least Isabella is more traditional...

My family surname isn't very common; there is only about 1,000 families in the US with the name.... it appears somewhere along the way there is is an unwritten pack that we will all use the same names for our kids.

It is almost like being in the witness protection program as it is kind of hard to determine who did what when

I know of a kid named Qwentin. That spelling makes me cringe every time I see it.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Best ever name of a kid in school - Bumpy. Yes, that's his legal first name. Thank God his mama gave him two normal middle names to go by.

ETA - DD's name is native American, and not a 'normal" name. It fits her well. But she was lamenting the other day that she cannot ever find anything with her name on it in stores. Bet Bumpy can't either.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

5 members found this post helpful.

Even if you don't like a name, I think it's basic decency to keep your opinions to yourself in person (I don't mind vague threads like this, of course -- just in-person "I think the name you chose for your child is awful!" garbage).

My DH made the mistake of telling my ILs our baby's name before birth (which is old-fashioned, as I mentioned, but there has been a Supreme Court justice with the name so I suppose it passes that test). It led to ridiculous drama which I won't get into, and they felt free to make suggestions which were all basically "Jennifer"-esque. Honestly, I haven't completely forgiven them yet as it was beyond a blowup and I don't *do* drama.

If they refuse to call the baby by his name when he gets here next month, they can stay the eff away from us until they get over it. I am too tired to deal with that kind of toxicity.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    they felt free to make suggestions which were all basically "Jennifer"-esque. Honestly, I haven't completely forgiven them yet as it was beyond a blowup and I don't *do* drama.

If they refuse to call the baby by his name when he gets here next month, they can stay the eff away from us until they get over it. I am too tired to deal with that kind of toxicity.

I knew a guy named Shirly but never have run into one named Jennifier, but it is OK with me.

2 members found this post helpful.

They were fine names, just very popular 1980's names is what I meant. Not something I want to name this baby. Darn it, I want to name him the name we've already picked, and we will despite the fuss.

I suggest trying out a name by yelling it out the back door! (like real life)

That's how I nixed the name Luke We had a Matthew and a Mark - no way if we had another boy was it going to get saddled with LUUUU- UKE!

I prefer a name that stays dignified in adulthood and would stand up professionally. And one that can convey tone when used as parent to child! Something short and strong.

I have a little used name for the day - Joan. Interestingly I was in a boarding barn back in the 70's and there were 5 Joans all with German last names, go figure that one.

I like the name Audrey, don't know why. Didn't have enough kids to get to use it. Stopped while I was smart.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

There is a WONDERFUL French movie (I can't find an English trailer though) that I saw last year. It is called Le Prénom (the First Name). It is hilarious and it all starts when the expecting couple announces the name chosen for their baby: Adolphe!!!
    http://pretemoiparis.com/2012/05/27/...-french-movie/

A friend has a new granddaughter named Ellajane. I think that's a nice name. I like the trend towards old fashioned names.

I knew folks years ago with the last name of Schlerf. They named their son, and not just a nickname, Buck. Buck Schlerf. That sounds like something you tell someone NOT to do to you.

My husband is always coming in an regaling me with names of professional sports players or the people that end up on those courtroom TV shows. I don't mean to sound racist, I'm not, but what is up with all those crazy names?!?! I'm sure everyone has heard the one about La-A...pronounced ladasha.

I have a difficult name for people. My Mother is a native Hawaiian so we all have Hawaiian names.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Redmare, I popped over to name berry and this thread was at the top of the forums. Thought it might have some suggestions that go along with your taste in girls names http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...al-Girls-Names
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I'm surprised my name hasn't come up, it did go through a trendy period in the late 80's(?). My first name is Taryn, middle name Lorraine.

I absolutely hated my name as a kid, was always called Tara, Karen or Sharon. Got in trouble in kindergarden for correcting the teacher (yet again) and actually spelling my name out loud for her.

I'm in my mid-30's now and I actually like having a somewhat unique name, although I'm still getting called Karen and Tara!

My Mum(1912) was named Doris which she did not like so she re-named herself Bobbie and lived with that her whole life.

William, Kate and Catherine are destined to be popular - so I would definitely stay away from them - seems like Frankenomics in action.

My grndson Bruno had his own headline in the Zurich newspaper - being the only Bruno born in Zurich that year.

My own name is spelled unconventionally and pronounced unconventionally - it is like having a spelling mistake for a name. It has been a pain all my life.

I do like names with family meanings - after a grandparent, or a family surname, etc. - as a first or second name.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    I'm surprised my name hasn't come up, it did go through a trendy period in the late 80's(?). My first name is Taryn, middle name Lorraine.

I absolutely hated my name as a kid, was always called Tara, Karen or Sharon. Got in trouble in kindergarden for correcting the teacher (yet again) and actually spelling my name out loud for her.

I'm in my mid-30's now and I actually like having a somewhat unique name, although I'm still getting called Karen and Tara!
    My boss's name is Taryn. She was definitely born well before the late 80's though. You're only the second person I've ever "met" with that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I do like names with family meanings - after a grandparent, or a family surname, etc. - as a first or second name.
    My mom had a rule for this:

Daughters received a middle name from the mother's side of the family. That was because women (in her generation and those before) lost their maiden name when they got married. She was all about keeping the matrilineal line alive.

When my parents split up, my father's side of the family was kinda excommunicated. For that reason, if I ever had a kid, especially a son, he would have a middle name from my father's side of the family.

If my partner wanted his own family inserted in there, we'd just haul off and give our spawn 4 names. Everyone could be representin' and the kid would have the very ornate option of being 3 initials plus his/her last name.

IMO, reserving the middle name for family markers lets you honor any ties you'd like, while giving you freedom to be trendy or creative with the kid's first name.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have two middle names and one is a composed name too.. Danielle and Marie-Pierre (my godparents were Marie and Pierre).
    My son has his grandmother's maiden name as a middle name, just because I always liked it: Brett.
    My DD got the traditional Anne as second name and my mom's first name Jacqueline...My firs granddaughter is Amalie Anne Colette (her great grandmother on her mom's side)... we do like long names and her last name is both of her parents, since in Qc, women do not take their husbands' names.

I know two 12 year old Taryns. One is a sister to a Ty and a Brand; the family is very western/cowboy and make their living with horses, I always wonder if the mom knew what she did the the whole "tie and brand" the critter sound.

I went to school with a guy named Cort, it was a cool name and suited him well as a strong/silent type of nice guy.