The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I'm guessing that Julia Roberts left more people with a big WTF when they heard she saddled the child with Hazel.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Pales in comparison to Apple though...

6 members found this post helpful.

and Blue Ivy....

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post

I like that tradition... to a point. I'd have been called Schreiber if it had been applied for me.
    I was going to say, there's a reason that doesn't really work in Eastern Europe...

I'm a Jennifer, but by coincidence, not trend. My mother named me after the title character in Eunice Young Smith's Jennifer books that she read when she was little (the books were written in the Forties/Fifties and set in the late 19th/early 20th century. In them, Jennifer moves to the country, is animal-crazy, dances, and ultimately gets a horse. Coincidence?) Despite what she says I would not be surprised if Laura, Vicki, and Cherry were all on the short list, too.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I think a lot of people saddle little babies with names that will be cute when they are tiny, but become silly or embarrassing when they are a college student or then a doctor, lawyer, business owner, etc. Remember that every baby grows up into an adult someday. If I were going to give my kid a cutesy name, I would at least pick a traditional type of middle name so they can always choose to go by Michael or John or Elizabeth or Mary in the professional world.
    Definitely! I really don't like cutesy names as given names, or ones that sound like/traditionally are nicknames. We're adults (hopefully) much longer than we are children, and i think parents sometimes imagine naming a bitty baby or toddler with bows, not naming a future teen, young adult, budding professional, etc.
    One name with the cutesy feel that gets love on Nameberry is Arabella. Ooof, i can't imagine naming someone that. Aside from the association in my mind of it being a smoosh of Arabian + falabella miniature horses, it just doesn't sound like the name of an adult woman. Arabella. So sugary.

But Hazel is a wonderful name in my opinion :-) then again, I recognize it isn't a typical name, is dated, and many may not like it as I do. Fine with me :-) I did hear it as a dog's name a few years ago, so it does make me think of a Bull Terrier first, but i still like it! Lol
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    You must not have seen/ read the Twilight series-- the two main male characters (the rivals for Bella's love) are Edward and Jacob. I like all three names-- but I would be embarrassed to have people think I named a kid (or even a pet) after those characters. I love Katniss in The Hunger Games but I'd never inflict it on a child.
    Ah, that's why it didn't make sense to me. I knew about Edward and Bella but that's it. Thanks for clueing me in.

My first great neice was born last month--an Isabella. They're calling her "Izzy."
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Hopefully not a trend but I've met a few kids named "Dax" "Zaid" "Paradise" "Tedo"

My friends are also naming kids western themed names (and most of them aren't horsey people). Tyson, Jace, Chase, and...Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    ...As for 'boy' names being used now, lets not forget that a couple generations ago Kimberly, Beverly, Shirley, Ashley, Vivian and others were boy names...
    I'm a female but was named after my grandpa's dad and brother...it's a name that runs in our family but I'm the first girl to be named it. It's now more common as a girl's name but I still think it's neat I'm carrying on the tradition.

I once heard that if you're considering giving your child an unusual name (or spelling) you should give that name as your own while ordering food, or interacting with customer services reps, to get a sense of what your child will face with that name in the real world. Clearly, it isn't a good idea to go around giving potential acquaintances a fake name, but I think it's fine if you're just ordering coffee at Starbucks.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OTV View Post
    I'm a female but was named after my grandpa's dad and brother...it's a name that runs in our family but I'm the first girl to be named it. It's now more common as a girl's name but I still think it's neat I'm carrying on the tradition.
    I'm the first female in my family named Jamie (at family gatherings I go by Jaimie 3). For whatever reason my parents chose to spell it weirdly and I have often had issues with it - but nothing too horrible! My cousin now has a Jaime 4, another girl.

I was surprised in 8th grade to be in a class with two others - Jaymee and Jaimee.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by OTV View Post
    I have what 100 years ago was a male name. I was born in the late 70's, right before it took off as a girl name, and was actually named for a boy my mom knew in the 60's. My middle name is after my father and grandfather, Marion, which I love as being a little more unusual than Marian. I bequeathed it to my firstborn, a daughter, as her second middle name as a way of keeping it alive in the fourth generation. My son's second middle name is sadly, Harold. My husband was the third generation in his family to carry it and wanted to keep it going. Hoping it ends with my son!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

As a teacher for over twenty years, I sure have seen the ebb and flow of names!
    I do feel that some parents give their kids names that are too cutesy to be taken seriously as a professional. I wish they would use that idea a a nickname that the child could use or not when older.
    And my personal issue are names that are spelled creatively and then not pronounced phonetically. I understand that some ethnic names have different pronunciation rules, but when you are making it up, why make it so difficult?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    And my personal issue are names that are spelled creatively and then not pronounced phonetically [...] but when you are making it up, why make it so difficult?
    Couldn't agree more!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I had a Pixie (her given name) last year--can you imagine that as a professional name? I've got a Heaven this year--she self selected to be called "Scout" instead, much to her parent's disgust. I hate the name "Nevaeh", too.

Parents also need to consider the first and last name being said together: I had a Destiny Dick in my class 12 years ago! I kid you not. Poor, sweet thing--all I could imagine is that would make a hell of an exotic dancer moniker when she turned 18!

I have a young man of color this year who is named for a French brandy--but not spelled that way. Silly.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

5 members found this post helpful.

First and last names... oh boy. There were several in my town. Justin Case and Justin Quiring were two. I had one in my class who had really hippy parents - Shiney Birchwater. He was a great kid, but what a name!
    Blugal

When I was in Highschool, I didn't even respond to my name (Katelyn) in the halls because of how often it was. I had at least one other Katelyn in almost EVERY one of my classes. So annoying. I think Kiley and Kaylie are really popular for my age group too.

As for baby names, I'm hearing a lot of Paisley and Oakley for girls, and a lot of Bentley for boys. Don't like any of those names. :/

I keep quiet about my plans for future kid names because the last time I told someone what I wanted to name my future son, 2 people named their kids that. (including my sister)
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I actually know someone in UT that named their baby girl Paizlee.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

A friend of a friend named her daughter Felix.

Now some of my fellow COTHers above a certain age will have an earworm...
    EDDIE WOULD GO

As my user name would suggest, my parents did the 'normal' name but different spelling thing. And yes, I was teased as a kid because they really were going for the Mother Teresa pronounciation. And no, we're not Catholic. I just go by Teresa, much easier. Due to various clerical errors over the years, my drivers license and medical info are spelled that way anyhow. Except on COTH where my real name wasn't taken as a user name! I don't overly hate it, but I will be sure to give my kids normal names without weird spelling changes.

I knew someone who named their daughter Nixie.

Personally, I really like the names William, Gabriel (Gabe), and Jude for a boy and Lenore/Nora/Elenore (Lenny or Nora) for a girl

My roommate is pregnant with a boy and has been through several names. Hunter, Easton, Elijah, Greyson, back to Easton, and how it's Harrison. She got Harrison monogramed on everything so I hope she sticks with that one now.
    Last edited by Milocalwinnings; Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"