The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I thought that about the names too, picture it on a doctor's ID badge. I didn't want to name to have a long e ending either, it's the diminutive of so many names I didn't want her to be stuck with something that sounds too cute. I grew up Mandy but changed to Amanda in college. And really detest how many other people have my name, it's been in the top 10 or 20 for a century I think. Mom picked it on a whim but I have to admit it was better than Penelope like my grandpa wanted!
    I agree.

Isn't there a natural law that makes it impossible for woman who has a diminutive kiddie name to become a Supreme Court Justice?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    Jax is a bit odd, and is more than likely a bastardization of Jackson.
    ?
    humm... may have been were the conception took place... Jacksonville International Airport (JAX)

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    The founder named it after the two most popular girl names the year he founded the company
    Exactly! Demographics at work. The names would have huge cache for men of his age and interests. But you can only do that once. Now that Ashley and Madison have been given this connotation, they don't work the same way. Great for marketing, bad for the lifetimes of the women given these names.

Perhaps parents need to divine when the names they like are "worn out" enough that they are on the cusp of dropping down a social class or two.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I thought that about the names too, picture it on a doctor's ID badge. I didn't want to name to have a long e ending either, it's the diminutive of so many names I didn't want her to be stuck with something that sounds too cute.
    That is one of the biggest problems I have with my given name.

I go by Renn. I'm in the process of getting my name formally changed. Renn is is a nickname I acquired at an early age that stuck very well, and it has an uncommon Latin long-form, closely related to Renee, which happens to be very similar to my late grandmother's name. (I used this excuse to short-circuit some wailing from my aunt, who thought it incredibly disrespectful that I would so dislike the name my mother had given me. That was a fun Thanksgiving.) My given name is a long e sound and though isn't commonly used as such, it is properly a diminutive- think along the lines of Callie- and it was the only thing my parents could agree on. Had I been a boy I would have been Justin, and I don't see why they couldn't have just called me Justine.

I was one of three people with my given name in kindergarten. All names falsified to protect the innocent, except the middle names, and the last names all have the same initial as the real ones. Callie Peabody, Callie Grover, and Callie something else. At first the teacher tried middle names but as it turns out Callie Peabody and Callie Goldberg both had the middle name Lynn. So we ended up as Callie P., Callie G., and Callie Marie. I am sure you can see the problem. Sadly, my parents didn't learn. My sister is Katherine- Katie.

But at least we aren't like some of the children she teaches. Mom teaches at a school that has an interesting cultural mix of Orthodox and Conservative Jews and inner-city kids with a variety of ethnic names and pronunciations. She sees a lot of "creative" spellings. But I think the winner is still a girl she had a few years ago. Girl went by L.J., but when in the course of a conference Mom called the girl L.J. to her parents, the girl's mother went ballistic. "My daughter's name is not L.J. My daughter's name is Biblical! You will call her by the name she was given- Little John!"
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

Hazel? Poor kid. Mr. B's cleaning lady.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Julia Roberts gave Hazel some leverage!

Renn I think I would do the same thing; I considered changing mine at one point too but knew it would be a mess, my family couldn't even do the Mandy/Amanda transition!

I really like the name Renn. That's the sort of name I like, not off the wall, easy to read and say, just unique.

It is interesting how names gain and lose popularity. I work with seniors, and some have unusual names for their generation. One is Laura, she's in her 80's and for her generation it is an unusual name. Unlike my generation when I could count a number of Lauras and Jennifers in any given class. I am the opposite, I am Ruth and not a senior. The only time I ever was around a lot of Ruths was when I worked in the Jewish community. Never liked my name but as I have gotten older I appreciate it more for not making me one of a crowd without it being weird or cutesy. My sister is Julie, that also works.
    An unusual older name is Eleith - this name belongs to someone who is in her 80's, and I've seen Alithe as well in the same generation. I like it.
    We see a lot of Annes, Judiths, Ellens, Marjories, Violets, Hazels, Margarets, Elizabeths. For men Jack and John, Ross, Russell, of course David, William, James, Michael. These male names have stood the test of time and I know many young people with these names. Ronald and Donald seem to be less popular now.
    Some names I think are nice which have fallen out of popularity are Mark, Alice and Elaine. Other names such as Olive, Gertrude or Myra should maybe not be resurrected.
    How about the custom of the first-born child being given the mother's maiden name as the first name?
    If one more friend of mine calls a child Sarah I think I'll scream though, lol. It is a nice name, but getting a little over-used. I think Sarah is probably the Jennifer for the generation which is currently in their teens to early twenties.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

My great grandmother was named Minnie, born around 1873, and I've heard of other Minnies from the late 19th-early 20th century. Another name best left to that generation.

I just heard this week that Martha Stewart's grandchildren are named Truman (boy) and Jude (girl). Dam is Martha's daughter Alexis. I found that worth noting. Never heard Truman except from the Jim Carrey movie, and Jude from Sir Paul.

Julia Roberts gave Hazel some leverage!

Renn I think I would do the same thing; I considered changing mine at one point too but knew it would be a mess, my family couldn't even do the Mandy/Amanda transition!

I really like the name Renn. That's the sort of name I like, not off the wall, easy to read and say, just unique.
    Thank you. I'd never go out of my way to name a child Renn, but got settled upon me by accident and it suits me. (I like more classic names with history behind them- Charlotte, Victoria, Rachel, Justin, and yes, dammit, Aidan and Liam, both grand old names.)

(But all of them sensible, everyday names, Mr. Eliot.)

How about the custom of the first-born child being given the mother's maiden name as the first name?
    I like that tradition... to a point. I'd have been called Schreiber if it had been applied for me. Instead we got the old Jewish tradition of names that commemorate someone in the family who died. In consequence of my grandfather Louis passing shortly before two of my cousins and I were born, we have Louis Andrew (goes by Andrew,) Julia Louise, and yours truly, original middle name Lynn. But maiden-name-as-first-name is part of the reason that so many surnames made the jump to first names, and male names made the jump to female names. A lot more to it than that, but that's part of it.
    - Harry Dresden

I thought that about the names too, picture it on a doctor's ID badge. I didn't want to name to have a long e ending either, it's the diminutive of so many names I didn't want her to be stuck with something that sounds too cute. I grew up Mandy but changed to Amanda in college. And really detest how many other people have my name, it's been in the top 10 or 20 for a century I think. Mom picked it on a whim but I have to admit it was better than Penelope like my grandpa wanted!
    It's really great that you choose names that you think will help your kids be successful- best of luck to them!

My name is a flagrant foul according to your naming principles, but despite those insurmountable odds, I have a successful career, with ID badges and everythin' Thank gods my parents realized that the individual makes the name, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Ditto. Seriously. We're not there either, but were recently discussing this same thing. Used to love Edward as a middle name (and it's DH's middle name). Want to hear sick? I used to want the name Jacob Edward Lastname. Nope. Couldn't do that to my kid, no matter how well it fits.
    Did I miss something?Aside from the fact that "Jacob" (a name I feel sort of neutral about) has become ridiculously popular, that seems like a fine name to me!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Hey, I didn't make sweeping judgments, I said it was what *I* liked. My opinion and what came into play when I named MY child based on my experiences and opinions. It's ok if you don't share. I didn't say it was for everyone.

I could have named my kid Doctor Aralyn Lastname for all the good it will do in making her successful! LOL I just said it was something I thought of when I picked a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Did I miss something?Aside from the fact that "Jacob" (a name I feel sort of neutral about) has become ridiculously popular, that seems like a fine name to me!
    Jacob and Edward, both fine names. Jacob Edward or Edward Jacob makes it look like someone in the family is a rabid Twilight junkie who wishes her name were Bella and that her husband would roll in glitter (or fursplode on occasion.) Give it 5 years.
    - Harry Dresden

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    You must not have seen/ read the Twilight series-- the two main male characters (the rivals for Bella's love) are Edward and Jacob. I like all three names-- but I would be embarrassed to have people think I named a kid (or even a pet) after those characters. I love Katniss in The Hunger Games but I'd never inflict it on a child.

Speaking of dated names-- my dad's parents are Harold and Edith. You don't see them much anymore!

fursplode!

9 members found this post helpful.

My grandma hated her name Ethel so much she went by Mike her whole life! LOL

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't mind surnames as first names provided the name has some relevance to the family tree. I don't care for the patronymic surnames on girls (-son names, and the Mc and Macs). They're of course hugely popular, as well as many traditionally male names going to the girls. I spend more time than I should on Nameberry, and there are often people mentioning names like Luca as being girly(?! Fruitbats) and Charlie being a girl's name (another wtf, but likely due to the trend of Charlottes being called Charlie for short. I love the name Charlotte but would probably pick the more old fashioned nickname of Lottie anyhow).
    For boys, i agree it's the -aden names, still being trendy, set off by Aiden's rise first.
    Others have also mentioned the throwback names, following the hundred year trend, and i have to say I love most of them. Olive, Pearl, Ruby, Ruth, Audrey.... love them all!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I think a lot of people saddle little babies with names that will be cute when they are tiny, but become silly or embarrassing when they are a college student or then a doctor, lawyer, business owner, etc. Remember that every baby grows up into an adult someday. If I were going to give my kid a cutesy name, I would at least pick a traditional type of middle name so they can always choose to go by Michael or John or Elizabeth or Mary in the professional world.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    fursplode!
    Credit to the marvelous Cleolinda Jones for that one. On topic- not her real name.
    - Harry Dresden

I have a very uncommon name to the point that if you looked it up and did research on it, it's height of popularity was in the hundreds of years ago, and even then there were only few hundred of us.

I was going to change my name when I turned 18, I was tired of correcting people, having it spelled incorrectly or having people look at me like I had 3 heads when I told them my name.

I was going to change it to my middle name, then I realized that my middle name is just as bad as my first. Coupled with my last name and one would think I just got off the boat!

So I just kept it and have been correcting people ever since.

3 members found this post helpful.