The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Trendy new baby names-- keep me in the loop

You know how this works. In the early 1970s, a whole bunch of people, all separately, decided that Jennifer was a great and underused name.

So what are the Jennifers of today?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

DD will be ten in a couple weeks. She has come in contact with more Madisons, some variation of Kylie, Carlie, Keylee, and Jordans than I can shake a stick at.

We are searching baby names right now and Bella and Katniss are really popular girl names for babies being born.

Lots of creative spelling, which I am not a fan of. "EE" on the end of a name instead of "Y" is cute when they are little, but is is almost like you are wishing your daughter to be a stripper when she grows up.

For boys Braden, Jaden, Kaden are in abundance in the under 6 set
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    DD will be ten in a couple weeks. She has come in contact with more Madisons, some variation of Kylie, Carlie, Keylee, and Jordans than I can shake a stick at.

Lots of creative spelling, which I am not a fan of. "EE" on the end of a name instead of "Y" is cute when they are little, but is is almost like you are wishing your daughter to be a stripper when she grows up.

For boys Braden, Jaden, Kaden are in abundance in the under 6 set
    Gag reflex stimulated!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

18 members found this post helpful.

I still cannot believe people would name their child Bella or Katniss after book characters..... I liked the name Edward for a middle name....now DH and I are rethinking it (not that we currently have a reason...but down the line)....don't want to be associated with the Twihards....
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

5 members found this post helpful.

The Braydens, Jaydens, Haydens, Kaydens, Aidens, Zaydens... aghh! Almost every friend or acquaintance of mine with young boys has one of these! My daughter's daycare has a ton of "-dens" with their various spellings... Kayden, Kaden, Kaiden. Lots of Kylee, Kyleigh, Rylee, Ashleigh, Trinitee. The worst I heard was a girl named Memory... which seems like bad juju to me. I gave my kid a wierd name but at least people can spell it easily.

Mckenzie, Makenzie, and all the other variations. Madison, Madisen, Madyson, yes I teach all three of those this semester in sixth grade.

Also, lots of girls with traditional boy names and weird spellings.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    I still cannot believe people would name their child Bella or Katniss after book characters..... I liked the name Edward for a middle name....now DH and I are rethinking it (not that we currently have a reason...but down the line)....don't want to be associated with the Twihards....

my wife works in a paediatric's office.... the baby's names... often it appears it was chosen while walking through the grocery store I keep waiting for the day when she tells me some one has named the kid Fruit Loops

3 members found this post helpful.

I quite like the (somewhat smaller?) trend of naming girls old old names, as in search your family tree - Grace, Poppy, Violet, Hazel, Hannah, Hope, etc. I wish that would continue. Maybe it would crowd out the Neveah's, Trinity's, and all 64 iterations of Madison/Kailey/anything ending is "eeeee".

At least we don't see so many Tiffanii's and Britanii's. My generation had classrooms full.

[Ahem...no offense wished upon anyone with such a name!]
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grey_pony View Post
    The Braydens, Jaydens, Haydens, Kaydens, Aidens, Zaydens... aghh! Almost every friend or acquaintance of mine with young boys has one of these! My daughter's daycare has a ton of "-dens" with their various spellings...
    Why would you lump Aidan in with those others? It's a ancient name and has been used continuously for centuries. There is nothing obscure, new fangled or trendy about it.

I've never been a fan of surnames being converted into first names, and always found that annoying. But I have come to understand there is actually a tradition of this in parts of the south, where a child is given the mother's maiden name. I think it works alright with many anglo/English surnames, but often doesn't come off with names from other backgrounds/cultures.

It's also a bit annoying when names get taken from other cultures, at least the spelling does, but the pronunciation doesn't make the transition. That can be jarring to the ears if you are familiar with the original pronunciation. Caitlin would be a prime example.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

You absolutely must read the Freakonomics study on this - it was my favorite chapter of the book. They did a study that traces names through socioeconomic paths over the years and traces their origins (i.e. the movie "Splash" came out in 1984; following that, "Madison" became a popular name for girls born into wealthy families, and then was gradually popularized as it was selected by parents of girls in increasingly lower socioeconomic families. It is really fascinating and was one of my favorite chapters of the book, although in the book (which came out in 2005), they predicted the top names of 2015 based on statistics, and so far I think those are not on track to come true (very disappointing as my name was one of them ). Anyway, it's a really fascinating way to look at it, and will add a whole new dimension of stress to selecting a name

5 members found this post helpful.

Quick survey of pre-school thru 1st grades at my school - There are at least six little girls named Taylor - three of them are clustered in one classroom. Also popular are Olivia and Trinity. Amina/Ameena, Amaya, Amira. The more popular boy names are Brody/Cody/Brady, Kaden, Jalen and Gabriel. Madison seems to be going out - most of the Madisons at this school are clustered in 2nd and 3rd grade. There are also plenty of kids with punctuation in their names. Am'briya, La'Trell, Le'Vonn.

I've met 2 Jaxs, a few Matteos, and a couple Hunters. My nephew was named Shane (his Dad always wanted to name his son Shane, and who is Sis to argue?)

That said, my 2 current favorite names come from watching college football.

Munchie LeGeaux - Cincinnati QB

Silverberry Mouhon - also Cincinnati -DL

I just like how they roll off my tongue

Mateo is just the Spanish version of Matthew. Hardly unusual, or trendy. Hunter has been around forever as a first name. Shane is plain jane as it gets.
    Jax is a bit odd, and is more than likely a bastardization of Jackson.
    But the other three, what is weird or trendy about those names?
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

You know, you can choose whatever name you like for your child...but do the world and your child a favor and spell it in a normal way. Perhaps following the Standard Rules for English? After 20 years in the classroom, I've seen some real doozies-- the child named Kattie comes to mind first. That spells Catty, anyway you slice it, right? Um no. That's Katy. After she got angry with me for mispronouncing her name, I tried to explain doubling the consonant and softening the vowel...to no avail. Jermy (missing that crucial second syllable).

Shithead was the worst I've come across. Yeah, you laughed didn't you? It was pronounced Sha-theed. Poor little girl

The Kaden, Aiden trend is strong, as are Bella, Olivia, Taylor. Some are beginning to mine the bible for Old Testament names. Please don't name your kid Uriah...oh, wait, somebody did! Bleh!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I've met 2 Jaxs, a few Matteos, and a couple Hunters. My nephew was named Shane (his Dad always wanted to name his son Shane, and who is Sis to argue?)
    What is wrong with Jackson (as opposed to Jaxin)? I despise the spelling Jax. To me Jax is a tasty, non-nutritive cheesy snack that is nothing but air and fluff and stains your fingers orange.

http://www.taquitos.net/cheese_puffs/Jax

I couldn't be a teacher. I would probably form negative stereotypes about kids based on the names their parents decided to call them and that would be very unfair.

3 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I know two sets of parents preparing to call their sons Jackson this year. Well, one Jackson, and the other Jaxon. (Jaxon's soon-to-be-mother is one of my mom's colleagues. Apparently mom-to-be is now regretting the agreement she made with her husband that Mom would name first child and Dad would name second child. Their first child's name is Sophia Elizabeth.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

There is no "Jennifer" of today. Parents are choosing a wider variety of names and so there are fewer kids with even the most popular names -- not as often 3 to a class like there used to be. While there are a couple of repeats (Abigail, Evie, Sophia, Jackson, Henry, Max, Liam) in DS' entire friend circle, there have been no repeats in his actual classes so far.

"Old timey" names are also coming back. Both our sons have relatively rare but Victorian-ish classic names. No weird spelling.

1 members found this post helpful.

True story, I tutored a high schooler in reading with an unusual name. Tiwanis. I asked her if it was a family name. She laughed and said no, her mother was drunk and passed out while she was pregnant and when she woke up she saw the Kiwanis Club sign and thought is was a sign from God...except she thought the K was a T. Very sad, but completely true.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Shithead was the worst I've come across. Yeah, you laughed didn't you? It was pronounced Sha-theed. Poor little girl!
    WOW. I had a dog named Shithead. Actually, her name was Tipper, but she, um, became Shithead. Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I know two sets of parents preparing to call their sons Jackson this year. Well, one Jackson, and the other Jaxon. (Jaxon's soon-to-be-mother is one of my mom's colleagues. Apparently mom-to-be is now regretting the agreement she made with her husband that Mom would name first child and Dad would name second child. Their first child's name is Sophia Elizabeth.)
    Maybe mom could negotiate on the spelling. Go get a bag of JAX and ask dad if he really wants his son's name associated with a snack food as opposed to say, Andrew Jackson, or even Jackson Browne. (might want to gloss over the whole Michael Jackson thing though).