The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sometimes you have to be pro-active, go to the animal shelter!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

It's working!

For the first time ever, I saw an extra cat hanging around my yard.

It's a long way from having a 30# tabby show up on my porch, found because he woke me up with his monstrous purr.

But it's a start.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I swear all you have to do is say it out loud...

Some years back we bought a farm. Walked into the barn at night for the first time, turned on the light, and the place was overrun with rats... ugh!

I said "Oh Dear God!! Aaarrrgh!! We need a barn cat!"

The very next day there was a young stray tom sitting in the barn aisle. He stuck around, cleared out the rats, and kept them away for many years.

True story!

2 members found this post helpful.

It's working again!

I saw the second-only-ever neighborhood at this morning.

And I might add, he was demonstrating a Cat Feat. The beast had climbed up our huge redwood to the roof. That's about 25 feet of straight verticality before any branches. I saw him come back down-- butt first and claws in play. He made it look like no big deal.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

by next OT day you will ask how to shut the mojo off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    i have a mangy fox hanging around, much to my dogs dismay. i just want to scoop him up and get him treated. don't worry, i won't. i wanna, but i won't.
    Get mange medicine from your vet (or animal rehab center), put it in a chicken carcass and leave where he can find it. If you have a local hunt club, you can ask them for assistance.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Maybe your cats aren't welcoming enough? lol

I have one stray outside and one feral (that now lets me pet him) and I swear I never saw a stray cat around my house until I had cats of mine own. They don't go outside, but they do out on the screened back porch and must call out to all the hungry kitties like a beacon in the night.

While I have a lot of unwanteds now wanted living here, I have yet to find that "litter of kittens" by the side of the road you all hear about. I did find a litter of kittens in the 100 plus year old dairy barn we own, but that was 10 years ago, and only once (I caught momma & got her spayed, plus the entire litter).

Funny I had a dream last night someone gave me 4 kittens. Weird.

I see you have adopted "as a marrofact"! Good luck on your stray cat search. We have a few well fed well groomed looking kittehs that march through our back yard on a fairly regular basis. I am quite sure they are owned by others in the neighborhood. I am expressly forbidden by husband from putting out any sustenance whatsoever. (We have 4 indoor cats.)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I live on a farm and I rarely have ever had a stray cat or dog. I think it has something to do with 2 Aussie's that don't believe in infringements on their territory unless I give the ok. My neighbors get them all the time. Ironically, they show up and just add to the bunch that all get fed on the porch or in the barn and add to the population by reproducing. If they showed up here, I would be contacting rescues trying to get them placed.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Hahah you were probably wishing too hard. In my experience, I wanted my very own Pied Piper of Kittyville story. No cats to be had. Moved into a small apartment with two cats, no space for more.. agree to take in a stray from a friend and the day before I go to get it a new one shows up! Ok, two extras. One gets $1.3K surgery and that very night as I'm thinking ok NOW no more cats.. cat at the window. Ugh. 5 cats in 900 sq ft.

Just last week.. breakup with my boyfriend and he somehow doesn't try to force his cat on me as part of the negotiations. Think I got off easy, drop by the beer store to drown my sorrows and find a scraggly street cat licking wrappers outside the 7-11. What.The.

I think you're well on your way! They're just scoping you out now and will move in for the kill soon enough.

Yes, I definitely think you need the proper mind set for a kitty to show up. Sending the "I don't need another kitty" vibe out into the cosmos is the surefire way of getting them to show up. The other vibe that works is the "I'm remotely entertaining the thought of another cat, but can't be bothered to go look right now."

That second one was what did it for me with the little bundle of wormy butt and oozing eyes that his feral momma dropped off for the Two-Leggeds to find. Funny how the rollercoaster of getting him healthy has turned him into my heart cat.

Good luck on the Stray Cat Mojo Spigot, MVP; here's hoping you don't lose the shut off valve.