The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How come stray cats never find me?

I'm the opposite of the Cat Magnet that so many of you COTHers are.

I never find stray cats jonesing for a home. What am I doing wrong?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I don't know, but I could send you a few or three or four!

Thanks you for the offer, Hpilot. But somehow, that doesn't seem pioneering enough. And it would be odd to think that I needed to import a homeless cat. Surely there are some here in my town.

Maybe I'm not frequenting the right (read: "wrong") neighborhoods?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Put out your location and I guarantee in the next week you'll get about 400 cats delivered to your front door. Someone might even bring you that evil rooster someone is trying to get rid of in Philadelphia.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Put out your location and I guarantee in the next week you'll get about 400 cats delivered to your front door. Someone might even bring you that evil rooster someone is trying to get rid of in Philadelphia.

is that the 'be careful what you wish for' warning?

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do they think you are a dog person? Have you tried leaving tidbits of wet catfood strategically placed around your domicile?

It is very sad that stray cats don't find you. They are usually chatty about all of their adventures.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenAcres View Post
    Do they think you are a dog person? Have you tried leaving tidbits of wet catfood strategically placed around your domicile?
    As a marrofact, there are some "left overs" from Miss Catness' wet food out on my back porch.

Now I rarely see cats around in my neighborhood. Miss Catness is old and that's working well for her. I suppose I should have waited until she was gone to start this thread.

But I do drive around and so many COTHers find their spare cats on the road! What's my problem?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I think perhaps that you have to decide that you don't want a cat, nope nope, and are really okay being catless. (Or a one cat household?)

Or start fostering for your local rescue. When you have seven kittens that need hand feeding around the clock, a roaming momma cat will show up with eleven more

(I've never been adopted by a wandering stray, but I sure have a houseful of cats anyway!)

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    As a marrofact, there are some "left overs" from Miss Catness' wet food out on my back porch.

Now I rarely see cats around in my neighborhood. Miss Catness is old and that's working well for her. I suppose I should have waited until she was gone to start this thread.

But I do drive around and so many COTHers find their spare cats on the road! What's my problem?
    hey, I hat to get mine from the flowershop lady, too...though she had the sign on the side of the road...free kittens...one is right now sleeping on my arm...

the 3rd, well, she did find me...not sure where she is sleeping right now though....moved into the house...

now I am working on that Basset hound that has stopped by a couple of times...she, too wanted to come inside...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I said the same. And then shortly after, they started appearing in droves. Just wait a bit longer for the word to spread....
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Or start fostering for your local rescue. When you have seven kittens that need hand feeding around the clock, a roaming momma cat will show up with eleven more
    So I should "prime the pump" as it were? There are shelters hoping to farm out high-maintenance cats. I'm sure I could stir up my cat juju this way.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Tell all your friends and family that "The inn is full." Within a week there will be an entire cattery on your porch.

3 members found this post helpful.

i have a mangy fox hanging around, much to my dogs dismay. i just want to scoop him up and get him treated. don't worry, i won't. i wanna, but i won't.
    R.I.P. my sweet boy Tristan
    36 years old, but I was hoping you'd live forever
    5/5/75-7/5/11

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    What's my problem?
    Just lucky?

Tell your vet or farrier (but not both, or you'll end up with too many).

One of ours was living in the ravine behind the barn - abandoned by a neighbor. The other was bounced from house to house to a barn and then the BO wouldn't let the trainer keep it, so we were the emergency last stop.

We were lucky in that both of ours were previously spayed (no surprise babies) but if I had to look for a barn cat again I'd get two kittens from a "barn cat" litter - my friends did this and they are great barn cats now. They have never lived in a house, and have each other, so they don't sit at the sliding glass door and beg to come in.

Well, I had one but she had to be put down after 2 months she just had too many things wrong with her and went blind. Sooooo we went to the high kill shelter 50 miles away and now I have two cats !

I just got tired of waiting.

You do not have the secret cat hobo sign somewhere on your property reading "A kindly cat-feeding sucker lives here." My mother says she will never have to TRY to get a cat, just wait and one will show up. I tell her that's because there's a cat hobo sign on the barn so they know to come for a free meal.

Wednesday night the lady across the street came over with a friendly stray cat in tow wanting to know if I knew what to do with it... apparently I give off a vibe of being The Person Who Will Know What To Do With This Stray Cat.

I did, in fact, let it onto my porch, gave it some water and a little food, bundled it into a carrier, took it to the SPCA and posted it on the local pet alert. Wish I could've kept it without my husband killing me...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Not sure where you are but most cities have stray cats that stay in colonies in certain areas -- usually parking lots with some sort of shelter and a food source -- maybe a dumpster from a restaurant -- most fast food restaurants have them hanging about. Sit around in a an area such as that and watch and chances are you will see them moving around, particularly at quieter times or early AM or PM. We trap and spay/neuter and try to rehome. Many shelters have special programs for ferals. Ours does -- we have some folks that try to get them somewhat tame or at least make barn cats. A friend of mine just took a gorgeous young tom to the local shelter -- shall I grab him and ship him to you -- he looks like a Maine Coon and is actually pretty friendly. Check the rescues for sure -- springtime is when a rash of kittens need homes because of irresponsible owners. I just took in a Siamese that was emaciated, but looking better and very sweet but desperately needed a home.
    Thanks for caring!
    PennyG
    born a cat lover!

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    i have a mangy fox hanging around, much to my dogs dismay. i just want to scoop him up and get him treated. don't worry, i won't. i wanna, but i won't.
    You don't need to scoop him up! Just put out some chicken with ivermectin in it, if you can make sure ONLY the fox will get it.

Edit: You can ask on the Hunting forum or google fox/ivermectin/mange for how to do this.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

It seems that the more cats you have the more that flock to you. When I first brought in my little siamese stray she was intact and within two weeks I had 4 more strays that literally showed up at my doorstep (3 females, one neutered male). After all of those were rehomed or returned to their rightful owners I found 2-3 more over the months that followed.

I've been stray free for over a year now. I live with 3 dogs now and I wonder if our house smells so much like dog to a sensitive kitty nose that it keeps the wandering cats away.

Do you have any dogs at your place?