The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

We co-slept for quite some time. When she was really little she'd need soothing and DH would carry her out of the room and rock her or stuff her into a swinging chair, she teethed, she went through a period (which I had read was a developmental stage in some kids) where she had ear infections, I always dozed more than deep slept, of course she had the cyclical fussing of the breastfed infant, sleep, chirpy, starting to fuss, hungry, feed me!, eating, sleep. I don't recall she was a big crier and I can only recall one or two times she wasn't consolable, probably from gas or excessive pain. After a while we pushed the crib up to the bed and lowered the gate and she'd go in there quite happily to sleep, and finally she got a big girl bed and it was time to move into her very own room.

Babies are just noisy. At least ours was, she used to crow and chirp and "sing" before she began to talk, and then she started to talk and went on and on.
    They are all different too, there were a bunch of us with same age kids at work and we used to compare notes, usually of the first child an angel, second child a devil variety - one reason I was in no hurry to have a second.
    Babies are noisy, kids are noisy, some families are noisy, they yell, they bang and drop stuff, heck my MIL sounds like a herd of rhino crossing the Serengeti when she uses her walker to cross to open the door. It's not intentional.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I do not have kids either, but where is the cut off point, When the child is 8 and wants to sleep in the same bed as parents?
    I never slept in my moms bed, Oh well maybe when I was sick,
    I always thought it has something to do with, if you pick up the child every single time they cry they figure it out fast and well.. who knows, I have no kids.
    I will say if I have a puppy or a kitten crying pitifully I cannot stand it and must pick them up. Okay, well disregard my opinion!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Mine got a big girl bed when she was about 3 or 4 and getting ready to go off to preschool. She didn't have a need to crawl in with us except rarely afterwards.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

[QUOTE=saultgirl;6853396]Does anyone know how/when/why it became the custom to put a baby in a room separate from it's mother, to sleep?

It just seems the most unnatural thing in the world to me; to take a baby away from it's mother.... stressful for everyone!

not strange to let a baby cry it out depends on the circumtances
    if one wants to pick it up every time it crys your making a rod for your own back later in life as it will run rings round you

if crys - it might be hungry usually hungry or dirty or teething early in life then sleeps a lot but babies can be demanding and want feeding every two hours depends on the baby and 1st 3mths its stuck to you like glue and can be very
    wearing
    Letting an infant "cry it out" is just as strange an idea for me...

as for the room thing both of mine were int there own room when i cam out of hospital this allowed me a break and another to get up to sort the baby out

and also helps the child to get used to being on his own doesnt hurt him and you sleeping next door wont hurt either why

tip for you honey------ when you have a kid you need all the sleep you can get either before after and during pregnancy as soon as that babys born
    you never sleep soundly ever again you have one ear open all the time natures way lol

and your mums worries about you still i bet, if at home does she say i know when you came in

proof is in the pudding mate and girls never sleep again once a baby born

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a mother and probably wouldn't have become one if I thought baby would be attached at the hip until kindergarten.

I don't think it's unhealthy for a baby to sleep in a crib. My little one did sleep in the same room and sometimes the same bed for a bit while I was breastfeeding, but I think we both did better once she was moved to her own room. When baby was in the room with me, I would wake and jump up every time she moved. It was exhausting.

I could still hear her cries on the baby monitor after she moved to her own room, but I slept better and she slept better when she went t oher crib.

Quote Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
    I'm a mother and probably wouldn't have become one if I thought baby would be attached at the hip until kindergarten.
    It's funny - I'm the total opposite. When I really got to thinking about having a baby, I decided I wouldn't have one unless I could give it everything -- i.e. I would need to be a stay-at-home mom and probably homeschool and the whole nine yards.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Oh, I could not do it, Saultgirl! Kudos to you for wanting to and to all of the moms who do it, but I need my adult time

I did everything according to the situation. Usually at night I made them go to sleep in their cribs but if they woke up in the night or very early morning I would take them into bed to finish sleeping. When they were very little I slept with them in the bed or recliner with me, when you're nursing it's the only way to get any sleep for a while. If they got scared at night or just couldn't settle down or whatever reason I let them in the bed, fell asleep a lot of times to a small child reading me Goodnight Moon! As they got older, 3 and 4, I'd have them throw down a sleeping bag on the floor beside the bed instead of crawling right in and many mornings I woke up and stepped on a kid b/c I hadn't heard them move in in the middle of the night. I don't remember ever having a big "kick them out of the room" stage, they just gradually stopped coming in and it was fine. We had absolutely no sleeping drama, we just did what it took for everyone to get some sleep.

I am not an "attached at the hip" kid person, I raised them to be pretty independent and they ended up joining our lives, we didn't conform to theirs. But I've been a SAHM most of the time and homeschooled for a while, too. But then again they've been doing pack trips and chores since they could walk. We all blend pretty well.

As much as I need that adult time I mentioned, I would love to stay home more with my little one. I'm a single mother now and up until recently little one was home with one of us 2-3 days per week, which I found ideal. She had her time to socialize, make friends, and get ready for kindergarten, but still had lots of time with mommy and daddy.

Now she's in daycare 5 days per week This is not the way I envisioned raising a child, but sometimes circumstances change.