The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Oh hey now. Only dog that ever bit me was a spaniel (AWS).
    OT but quickly: I'm not hating on scary breeds. Dobes are my love, I've volunteered with DARE. I've had Pits, GSDs, Chows all pass through my hands. But for a sheltered suburbanite who gets a President's dog and names it Milly (my neighbors did this), such breeds scare them.

I've experienced this walking a perfectly leash mannered Pit, holding a Dobe at a Petco event, driving with a GSD in the backseat, etc.

I really wish I had a Dobe now -and my friend just told me of a red cropped&docked in a shelter- so people would stop letting little white foo-foos (I have one of those) run snarling up to mine on a cursed flexi! Grrrr.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    OT but quickly: I'm not hating on scary breeds. Dobes are my love, I've volunteered with DARE. I've had Pits, GSDs, Chows all pass through my hands. But for a sheltered suburbanite who gets a President's dog and names it Milly (my neighbors did this), such breeds scare them.

I've experienced this walking a perfectly leash mannered Pit, holding a Dobe at a Petco event, driving with a GSD in the backseat, etc.

I really wish I had a Dobe now -and my friend just told me of a red cropped&docked in a shelter- so people would stop letting little white foo-foos (I have one of those) run snarling up to mine on a cursed flexi! Grrrr.
    Good points..

There is a well-documented phenomenon called "Springer Rage" (sceeeery!! ), that I had no idea of back in the day. So they can *indeed* be unpredictable--but so can any dog! I think we rely on the basic good nature of most dogs (I know I do), so assume the best from them, and train and shape behavior accordingly.

Dobies are SO smart and responsive that for an experienced dog person, they are a true pleasure. Pits are often just big goofballs, but depending on their breeding and conditioning (*sigh*), they can be a problem to socialize.

Chows. NOT a fan. Period. Sorry. (I'm sure I will now get flamed by the Chow lovers

People with white foo-foos (or ANY dog) should not let THEIR dog run up to YOUR dog, and Flexi-leads are the !@#$% devil (an abomination!)

The most passive and uneducated dog owners tend to get (IME) a strong-willed breed or a toy breed--and then want neither to train it, nor to take responsibility for its actions.

Can I start a petition to ban flexi-leads?? I can dream...right?
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Chows. NOT a fan. Period. Sorry. (I'm sure I will now get flamed by the Chow lovers
    Nope. Unlike fans of some other breeds, we chow fanciers tend to be pretty realistic about the fact that they are, basically, crocodiles in dog suits.

I got started with them because I wanted to be a professional handler, and, oddly enough, there was not a lot of competition for people willing to live with, groom and handle a pack of chows. Go figure.

I like them. They're easy to live with. Quiet, clean. Fanatically, maniacally devoted to their human. But the coat is an enormous amount of work and they are kind of a challenge when it comes to reading their intentions. In time to save the object thereof.

But great googlie mooglies, they are child magnets! I can't count the number of times I've had loose children fling themselves at the live teddy bear.

That's why I think they are a breed for someone with lots of time on her hands, lightning reflexes, and either no assets or good insurance. I have border collies these days.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    People with white foo-foos (or ANY dog) should not let THEIR dog run up to YOUR dog, and Flexi-leads are the !@#$% devil (an abomination!)
    OP, following this thread and really happy to hear that you've got this lady on the right path..

Just had to comment though - WHY do people just let their dogs run up to your well behaved dog?!? I really hate this - I mean, I REALLY HATE THIS. I swear too, I must find every single person in my state who does this. I honestly don't think I've ever met another person on the trail or road who kept their dog in a heel, or at least crossed to the other side to give space. I'm always the one to cross to the other side because I know that my 1 yo pup, even on his best of days, can't hold it together with a rambunctious or bad mannered/aggressive dog coming at him..... but most of the time there isn't room, and I have a "situation" to deal with. And how is it that these owners are oblivious to the hate vibes that I'm sending out as I see the situation unfolding? I can't always caution them verbally before it happens... but I'm always the one who gets a bad look when my ACD pup growls/snaps at the dog who flies in his face with super out of control aggressive behavior. Sure, that dog might not be growling, but to me it is screaming out of control assertiveness due to poor socialization and the owners are just oblivious.

Ugh. Sorry, apparently your comment hit a nerve... hahahaha!
    Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

Why are you agreeing to work dogs that the owner refuses to fence in again?

Honestly, rapport or no, you need to get this lady to see that her fencing is inadequate; maybe show her examples of 'best' dog fencing if she is a social climber type.

These dogs will be out and get hurt/lost in no time. Inadequate fence is the same as NO fence. You need to make her see this ASAP.

If you are in hunt country ask her if she thinks a board fence is the slightenst deterrent to a hunting foxhound? No. A springer is just as likely to go off hunting if there is an interesting bird or butterfly in sight.

And her making her older children responsible for them? So when they make their inevitable getaway in a few weeks -as a team- her older children will be haring after them and likely getting themselves in danger as well?

If you decide to go on after getting the fence dog-proofed, try to get the 'responsible' children as co-trainers to the lesson plans.

If you teach mom and she tries to teach kids; well, lets just say much will be lost in translation and the dogs may become untrained as fast as you are trying to train them.

Happy training (it's not the dogs, but the owners who are the real challenge)!!

By the way, I am totally with you on banning flexi-leads -ugh!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I agree with getting the kids involved with the lessons. The mom will likely misinterpret important skills you explain to her which the kids, as primary 'trainers' of dogs need to know. Take it from someone who works with kids & their parents (tutoring) daily: even with the best of intentions miscommunication from kid to parent and parent to kid happens all the time!!

The lady I adopted my dog from gave her to me with a flex-lead. She said "the dog likes it", but I'd already had experiences with them...getting tangled, lack of control, snap back features not working, etc. I was really glad when I took my girl on a walk on the beach (our first!) I had my short leash. When we did come across other dogs I was easily able to control her. She didn't do anything terrible but I was glad I had that extra element of control.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey