The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default breeches for shorties?

I have the misfortune of being 5' tall with a 29" inseam.

I know TS makes breeches in short, and I have a couple pairs of trophy hunters that length.

Are there any other manufacturers that make a nice breech like that, in a short length?

The only other one I've found is tuffrider, who makes a cotton petite breech, but I'd love a wide waistband microfiber type breech if one exists? Cheaper would also be a plus.

The longer breeches are a problem when you have to cuff them. It makes it tough to zip tall boots that are slim through the ankle and makes me look like I have cankles.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I have the misfortune of being 5' tall with a 29" inseam.

I know TS makes breeches in short, and I have a couple pairs of trophy hunters that length.

Are there any other manufacturers that make a nice breech like that, in a short length?

The only other one I've found is tuffrider, who makes a cotton petite breech, but I'd love a wide waistband microfiber type breech if one exists? Cheaper would also be a plus.

The longer breeches are a problem when you have to cuff them. It makes it tough to zip tall boots that are slim through the ankle and makes me look like I have cankles.

When you find out, let me know, 4'11 here wearing TS 28s and I float in them because I can't find the short pairs at my budget. Companies are all too happy to cater to "regular", those tall peeps, and the fuller fillies, but no love for the rest of us who are midgets.

I'm 5'1, and I love my FITS Beka breeches. The sock bottom is mesh, and super thin, so if you have to roll it/bunch it up a bit, it doesn't affect the fit of your boots. I don't find that I do need to roll it, though.

I also have a pair of Treadstone Tuscany breeches that fit well. Wouldn't want them any longer, but they don't need to be rolled.

I am 5', and I have emailed several companies asking them to consider making breeches in petite sizes. I have gotten no response. It's too bad because I think there is a market for them. Short riders should not have to roll up the bottoms of their breeches or take them to the tailor to get them shortened.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I am 5'1'' and wear the TS cotton schooling breeches in a child-size 12 regular. They are cheaper than the other breeches that TS makes, and I can usually get a year or two out of them before they wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I am 5'1'' and wear the TS cotton schooling breeches in a child-size 12 regular. They are cheaper than the other breeches that TS makes, and I can usually get a year or two out of them before they wear out.
    If only I could fit into kids clothes, that would work, but alas I cannot-- I wear a 28 or 30 depending on the fabric.

Yeah, me too. Middle-aged me would never fit into kids' sizes.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I end up looking for TS now for that same reason--4'10 1/2". When I could fit into kid breeches still it was easier, but now my butt's too big and I've been on a major breech hunt the past year. I got one pair from Horze that fits at my ankles without rolling, and one pair of Ariats that fit at the ankles without rolling, but other than that I have to stick with TS. Drives me insane...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    Companies are all too happy to cater to "regular", those tall peeps, and the fuller fillies, but no love for the rest of us who are midgets.
    Didn't you know short people aren't supposed to ride?

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default Ovation Euroweave Knee Patch Taylored DX

VERY happy with them

I am 5'2" on a good day.
    The Euroweave Knee Patch Taylored DX.

They sit on my waist which I love! Hate low rise, plumbers butt when bending over to clean a hoof? No thanks!

THIS particular model is perfect. I have tried another Eurowave from them and did not care for it.

Perfect Stretch and soft. Slighty baggy in front with perfect front pockets!

Nylon Sock-like lower calf so it is super sleek going into the boot. The bottom is just at my ankle bone.

I have 3 pairs and love the so much more than my TS!

I wore them all spring, summer fall and they are still going strong on multiple horses, lessons, trips to the store. Wash in Woolite. Line dry. Cool in summer and fine for teaching with a pair of leggings underneath for winter.

Going to get one more beige to show in. I wish they had white!

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90391

FWIW I have their schooling helmet and LOVE it! They have a new model that is similar but a bit fancier for showing. Going to pick that up too!
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    When you find out, let me know, 4'11 here wearing TS 28s and I float in them because I can't find the short pairs at my budget. Companies are all too happy to cater to "regular", those tall peeps, and the fuller fillies, but no love for the rest of us who are midgets.
    Well, maybe I have a business idea here...if I could find a manufacturer I could work with. I know Kerrits, etc is made in the USA, so maybe I could have something here if I did breeches, coats etc for petites.

The other problem I have is that the calf is super baggy. Thankfully, TS has that one down too, so maybe I should just resign myself to the fact that those are the brand that fit.

Not cheap, but Tropical Riders come in a short length that you can order directly from the company.

Also, for schooling but probably not show, Equissentials does made to measure for the same price as off the rack -- again, order directly from the company.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I'm 5' on a good day and 100 lbs. I wear a kids 14 in TS, and I can usually wear an adult size 24, depending on the brand. Most adult breeches are too long for me, but for $8 my tailor will hem them. Is it possible for you to get them hemmed?

I'm with you all on the short breeches. Every brand seems to have long/tall lengths but shorts are so hard to find. I'm 4'10" on a tall day. I have a few pairs of TS that work, mostly because I feel that the TSs run short to start with so I can make their regular lengths work though they're a bit baggy.
    Kids' lengths would work perfect except my fat ass and thighs aren't going to get anywhere near a kids breech.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Not cheap, but Tropical Riders come in a short length that you can order directly from the company.

Also, for schooling but probably not show, Equissentials does made to measure for the same price as off the rack -- again, order directly from the company.
    Wow, you are right, quietann. Tropical Rider makes breeches that are actually labeled "petite." I wish they made show breeches in something other than a low rise (and that they were cheaper! ), but it's a start.

http://www.tropicalrider.com/catalog.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Wow, you are right, quietann. Tropical Rider makes breeches that are actually labeled "petite." I wish they made show breeches in something other than a low rise (and that they were cheaper! ), but it's a start.

http://www.tropicalrider.com/catalog.asp
    Well for $209/pr I'd keep ordering my trophy hunters...youch.

equissentials look like riding tights which isn't what I want-- they're that super unflattering cotton blend stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Well, maybe I have a business idea here...if I could find a manufacturer I could work with. I know Kerrits, etc is made in the USA, so maybe I could have something here if I did breeches, coats etc for petites.

The other problem I have is that the calf is super baggy. Thankfully, TS has that one down too, so maybe I should just resign myself to the fact that those are the brand that fit.
    I believe when SmartPak responded to a post on here about feedback on their first attempt at breeches - the bradley ones I believe, and they said they'd "consider" short breeches in the future and their only advice was to roll up the breeches... so not very helpful.

... that was like what, a year ago when their original breeches came out?

They like to tout that they're all about making their customers satisfied, but they sure have shut out a huge opportunity for themselves. I would have thought of all companies, SmartPak would actually try something like short breeches.

Quote Originally Posted by ctab View Post
    VERY happy with them

I am 5'2" on a good day.
    The Euroweave Knee Patch Taylored DX.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90391
    Are you talking regular rise? Because I don't see a short size.

Ah yes, my 17 year old DD is 5' with the 29" inseam if I'm stretching the tape all the way down to the floor. She can still get away with kids breeches but the womanly curves are making it obvious that she won't get away with that her whole life.

For those of you who say you get them hemmed... What do you do about the knee patches not being in the right place anymore? Or are these full-seats? I'm assuming you're only dealing with an inch or so if that's not a problem. I've thought about doing this whenever some decent adult breeches go on sale at the local tack store, and although they fit in every other way, hemming isn't going to help much if the knee patches are on her calves! We get a chuckle over how ridiculous they would look, but really... what do you do?

Certain brands fit better than others. I find that the Ariat Pro-circuits are a good fit on me and the knee patches are OK. They are just too long (like all breeches). Same with the Horze knee-patch breeches for schooling--they fit nicely, just way too long.

Other breeches don't fit at all and are too long on top of that.