The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Priceline and Name Your Price...Any Experience?

I need to travel for work next week and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the name your price hotel rooms on priceline? I was looking at the 2 star ratings...I figure that would put me in something like a Holiday Inn, whereas the 1 star would be the type of place with bedbugs and I need a gun. Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Default Just did a 2 week trip with Priceline

I just got back from 2 weeks where I primarily used Priceline to book my hotels the day off or the day before I needed the room.

It generally worked very well. I stayed at 2* and 3* places including at 4* in San Francisco for $90/night. All were chains and reputable.

My only real issue was that some hit you up for parking above the room fee and that added up. But other than that I was very happy and would definitely do it again.

I've used it a lot - I think the best deal I got was the Westin in Boston for $89 a night. SWEET
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

The mystery hotel thing? Yup, I did it for a small horse show, but I could kinda narrow it down to one of a few because the city wasn't very big. It turned out fine, but the front desk dude told me next time to just call the hotel directly- I'd probably get a better rate than I did on Priceline.

I used it to get a hotel room in San Juan. We ended up with $115/night for the Caribe Hilton, a well known four star hotel.

This site helped at lot...by seeing which bids have been accepted recently, by which hotels, you can predict reasonably well where you'll end up for which price. I as able to be fairly certain that my offer would get me one of two hotels without paying more than I had to.

www.betterbidding.com

You can have more control over who might accept your bid if narrow down your criteria on Priceline by selecting amenities that you know are only available at certain hotels you are interested in. You don't have to care about the amenity, it is just a way to narrow the field of hotels responding to you. Unique features will really give you control..that is how I got to two hotels, either one of which would have pleased me. Then I went to Better Bidding to determine how much to bid.

Default I used it quite a bit and would use it again

Hi!
    Priceline is a bit scary the first time but once you dive in the experience is pretty darn great! I used it for two weeks - every night - for a trip all over Flordia. I started booking at home and booked us 3 nights in Orlando for 3 1/2 stars and put in a bid of $50 and it was rejected, then I put in a bid of $60 and it was rejected and then I think I had a waiting period before I could try again at $70 and was accepted. Anyway - we got into a brand new Sheraton (I think?) and it was perfect. I even asked at the front desk on our last day what was their best price they could give me if we spent one more night and the gal came back with $124 so I felt good about my $70.

In Sarasota we got into a 4 star Hyatt for $89. The pool was AWESOME.

I am about to use priceline again for another trip to Florida over spring break. Wish me luck!

J.