The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do any of you hunting people use Harriers?

I just adopted a new dog and it's clear that he has a LOT of Harrier dna, down to his gold coloring, white tip on tail, and perpetual sniffing. (He's also REALLY fuzzy, so not sure what else is in there.) Anyway, the information that I could find on Harriers says they are foxhunting dogs but pretty uncommon. Anyone have any info on them?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Kingsbury Harriers

http://www.dogbreedersearch.com/kenn...-harriers.html

You can find other info about KH on a web search.

Some of the Paradise Valley Beagles' hounds are part harrier. My PV Jodhpur is only 1/4 harrier, but he doesn't look like the 3/4 beagle he is! He's more Harrier-sized.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chops.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	37642
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

1 members found this post helpful.

Indeed, the Kingsbury Harriers are presently the only organized pack in the US (and I believe they still also show them AKC, you will see their breeding at Westminster often), but as their site probably still says, back in the day there were more harrier packs on this side of the pond. In short they look like foxhounds that spent too much time in the dryer. And are a lot of fun.

Here is their web site though it looks like it might not be completely up to date:

http://www.harriers.net/harriers/kin...kingsbury.html

I note Equibrit posted the link to their FAQ page.

I'll just observe though (absent a photo) that if your new acquisition is 'fuzzy' perhaps there is a blend that includes 'Welsh Woollies' which are foxhounds.

This is Tesno! I've had him since Monday. And today I just discovered that he bays like a hound. Trying to guess what causes his double-coated thick fur and his funny curled-up tail. Any guesses are welcome.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4236615&type=3

His name is "Onset" spelled backwards. Onset is a Cape Cod beach. He came with the name.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I cannot say I can see a speck of harrier in him, or any other hound with the possible exception of beagle just because they manage to get into most every woodpile.

The tail looks more like Akita than chow or husky to me, and would also be consistent w/coat.

Looks like he could have some golden retriever in the mix, as well.

If anybody asks, and it were my fine dog, I'd just say 'he is a very rare Cape Cod Tolling Retriever.' You'll be amazed how many people will believe you, which means you also need to invent the history of the breed, but happily there is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever you can borrow from.

LOL! Our opinion is he has absolutely no retriever in him anywhere (this from 15 years of experience with retrievers.) He has freckled front feet, the white tip of the harrier tail, and a very hound-y face and ears. He also scent-tracks EVERYTHING. It's like trying to keep up with a drunk who's running at full speed.
    Not to mention the baying! My sister tells me to get him DNA'd, but I don't think those tests are very accurate.

In any case, he is a sweetie, and I'm just posting this for fun.

All NZ hunts are totally harrier packs. We have about 45 of them here at home, and not one looks remotely similar to the photo.

OP, it is extremely unlikely your cute mix has any Harrier in him. Harriers are one of the rarest of AKC registered breeds, and the only recognized pack hunts out west. It is very unlikely that a Harrier was out and about in Mass. and bred a dog of another breed.

I can see why you think your dog resembles a Harrier from the picture in that book you found, from the way he is standing and the color, but even that dog is not the perhaps more common tricolor that many Harriers are. If most people saw a beagle, Harrier, and English Foxhound in a lineup, they would see way more similarities than differences, except in size, and all of them caome in lemon or red and white too. Then you've got all the coonhound type hunting hounds, like the Treeing Walker Coonhound, American English Coonhound, etc. Just because your dog bays and is scent-oriented does not imply any specific hound breed, especially one of the very rarest.

The coat length , ear size and shape, body type, and tail carriage of your dog are more suggestive of one of the family of Nordic breeds. It could certainly be mixed or crossed with one of the scenthound breeds, but who knows? The DNA would be fun although it is not terribly reliable.

Many Harriers do not have freckled front feet, and many nonHarriers do. White tail tips are also common to many breeds, think collie, Border collie, corgi, wolfhounds, too many to name.

2 members found this post helpful.

Um, actually, I owned and occasionally bred goldens from 1976 to 1997- and they are indeed scent hunting fools. One bitch would hunt fox at the drop of a hat - a real pain because of course they hunt mute. And another sadly met her demise on a road, she'd been accidentally let out of the house by guests and had her nose to the ground behind a deer when fatally struck.

I wish those DNA tests were accurate!

It would be nice, but especially with a mixed breed dog, it really brings home the importance of treating each animal as an individual. The gene pools of some purebreds is so large, as others have mentioned, that it can be difficult to generalize about the behavior of any particular individual. There are dogs, for example, that may look like labs or Goldens on the outside, and are indeed purebred, but behave in ways completely contrary to our stereotypes of these breeds, much to the surprise of their owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    There are dogs, for example, that may look like labs or Goldens on the outside, and are indeed purebred, but behave in ways completely contrary to our stereotypes of these breeds, much to the surprise of their owners.
    Yep. I have a fox hunting Border Collie who bays with the best of them when on a trail. He never could manage the crouching gait characteristic of the BC herding style.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, we love him and don't care, but it would be fun to find out his ancestry. Maybe in a couple of years the dna testing will have improved.