The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blume Farm nailed it. It's no mystery how this is spreading, it's because the people at HITS all bailed starting a week ago when they first heard rumors of a quarantine coming. To be perfectly clear, those people and those horses are spreading this disease. Only one horse so far can't be directly linked back to HITS, and I bet if they keep connecting the dots that one will trace back to HITS too. Some people left HITS with their horses when they didn't know there was a problem, others left knowing full well they may be spreading this all over the state. It's a shame HITS and the state didn't act faster, and now the entire state could be jeopardized. Dressage people don't seem to be as worried, but if I had my horse in a mixed barn or was going to ship commercially I'd still be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    This is a great link because they keep updating it right on the page/pdf:
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
    This link is the best source of information.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

6 members found this post helpful.

Very worrisome. I agree that HITS should have locked things down. Now is the time for everyone to hunker down and wait it out.

The thread on the hunter/jumper forum is very enlightening.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...S-ocala/page14

Post #266 deserves some attention. It boggles my mind that HITS announced an impending quarantine and gave people time to leave. This thing will be squarely on their shoulders if those horses leaving spread the problem.

3 members found this post helpful.

Post #226 content is amazing. It sounds like "Get out now while you can: A quarantine is coming!" As I have two homebreds showing there as well as three or four trainers who are good friends, the virus and the HITS handling of the virus is frightening. I just think of braiders who move through the barns every morning, going from horse to horse, being rubbed by equine noses and mouths. Truly horrifying.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just an FYI, supplementing lysine may help prevent some cases of EHV-1 so putting horses going to shows (and inspections, clinics, etc.) on supplemental dietary lysine may be prudent. L-lysine and possible use in prevention & treatment of EHV-1

Have a friend with a large barn in Ocala and she laid off her barn cleaning crew until this is cleaned up, as her stall cleaners pick up extra work at HITS. This could explain how it jumps outside the showgrounds.

OP - You should probably change the title, the EHV wild type is not neurological, that is the mutant virus. UF announced right away the the horse from Ocala tested positive for wild type NOT mutant.

My information is that the wild type can also be neurological and that the index case did have the neurological form of wild-type EHV-1.

"On Feb. 21, a horse that was stabled at the HITS facility was diagnosed with the neurologic form of EHV-1. At last update on Feb. 25, that horse was undergoing treatment and in stable condition at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine's Large Animal Hospital."
    Last edited by dianehalpin; Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.

There are two different things being co-mingled here I think. One is the clinical expression of the infection and one is the actual viral infection. The neuropathogenic EHV 1 strain has a mutation in it and results in a higher incidence of EHM (greater than 80% of cases) where the wild type has only been associated with EHM in less than 20% of cases studied. The horse from Ocala that went to UF had the wild type strain of EHV 1, not to say it did not show clinical signs of EHM but it did not have the mutant strain which is typically referred to as the neuropathogenic/neurological EHV. IMO.

2 members found this post helpful.

They are very fortunate it is the strain that it is. Right now the horses are just sick, if it were the other strain they would be dead. Hopefully it stays that way so the horses don't pray the price for what I consider to be mishandling.

I agree with this, and, to throw another kink into the diagnosis, the spokesman for the horse suggests that the horse may have displayed some neurological dysfunction because it may have become cast in its stall prior to testing.

The Ocala Young Horse Show scheduled for 19 March has been postponed due to the virus.Rain date will be announced in due course.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Yikes, I didn't even think about braiders as being another possible means of transmission, but I know of several that went from HITS to Wellington last week. Ugh.

Regarding the number of horses that left HITS - I heard today that a slew of local trainers who were down there last week bugged out just before the quarantine was enforced, and are now back in my home state.

Someone just posted on the H/J forum that one of the horses at Miles Away in Loxahatchie has developed neurological EHV-1 symptoms. HITS is going to be feeling the vibrations from this lack of immediate attention to the first EHV-1 case for a long time, I believe. The new development is italicized.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
    Last edited by dianehalpin; Mar. 1, 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: correcting site

Miles Away is in Loxahatchee. Those horses left HITS before the first case was discovered at the show.

most shippers do not disinfect them at all
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Anyone see this and TS's comments? http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...se-show/nWc65/

I also heard that security at HITS is a joke from someone there.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Tom Struzzieri is doing himself no favors with those types of comments, or the paper he sent out early on. If one horse leaves HITS Ocala to die from the neurological EVH-1 or if this thing begins spreading, I hope that he knows exactly who is responsible.

2 members found this post helpful.

Two more Ocala farms have been quarantined according to freshfromflorida.com. Sounds like these were some of the escapees prior to the showgrounds quarantine.