The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farrier Barrier and Thrush/WLD??

How effective is Farrier Barrier at treating/combating thrush and/or white line disease? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jjgg24; Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Clearer Title

Anyone?

Never heard of the stuff, so googled. This was the very first hit. Appears to have been discussed before.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...arrier-Barrier

I did see that but I guess I wanted to know specifically if it would help eliminate thrush/white line disease. Thanks!

From the description I wouldn't expect it to work for WLD. What does work is CleanTrax. I did one soak (all four feet) on my horse. Not only did it treat the white line disease, he hasn't had an abscess, scratches, or thrush since he was treated a year had a half ago.

To be fair, other changes had been made in his diet and environment that I'm sure contributed to the success, but the CleanTrax gave us a clean slate to start from.

It is a bit of a pain to do, especially since I did all 4 feet simultaneously. But considering the time and money saved in trying other treatments it was worth every penny and every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    From the description I wouldn't expect it to work for WLD. What does work is CleanTrax. I did one soak (all four feet) on my horse. Not only did it treat the white line disease, he hasn't had an abscess, scratches, or thrush since he was treated a year had a half ago.

To be fair, other changes had been made in his diet and environment that I'm sure contributed to the success, but the CleanTrax gave us a clean slate to start from.

It is a bit of a pain to do, especially since I did all 4 feet simultaneously. But considering the time and money saved in trying other treatments it was worth every penny and every minute.
    Interesting, are you able to use cleantrax to treat WLD even if the horse is currently shod? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Interesting, are you able to use cleantrax to treat WLD even if the horse is currently shod? Thanks!
    No. I had his shoes pulled before I treated him. The amount of hoof that crumbled away over the next several days would have made keeping the shoes on impossible anyway.

I had been having trouble keeping shoes on him and I blamed it on thin shelly hooves, environment, etc. I just didn't know any better. The parts that crumbled off had been severely undermined by the WLD. I kept him in for several days on deep bedding while I got some boots. He was turned out with boots for about 6 weeks before he had enough growth to start working with. The fronts were far worse than the hinds.

I've got some pictures of the process somewhere. If you're interested I can dig them up and post them.

White Lightning or Clean Trax will definitely help you. I haven't used Clean Trax, but have used White Lightning with great success. Also, FeedXl is a great website to use to make sure your diet is on track, which is key in getting rid of any nasties that live in your horses hooves.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Double Post!

Hm what would my options be if he is currently shod? He doesn't have any issues keeping his shoes on and the outer hoof wall is in pretty good shape but if you are looking at the bottom of his hoof and dig around even with just a normal hoof pick his feet seem a little crumbly, which is maybe too strong of a word but it is the best I can think of. He did founder this past fall (recovered nicely thank goodness) so we don't know if the not so stellar hoof quality is due to that or some sort of infection do we are trying to cover our bases.

Definitely have some thrush in the deep grooves around the frog on two feet which is being treated but was really looking for something to knock anything else out that might be lingering.

Diet is covered, worked with a nutritionist to balance his diet after he foundered since it was uncovered that he is slightly IR.

Thanks for all the awesome feedback!!

Farrier Barrier is awesome stuff but I would not use it to "treat" thrush or white line disease. I use it to maintain the outer part of healthy hooves so nails can easily go in and shoes don't come off as easily. For thrush, I have had GREAT responses from Tomorrow/Today.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Farrier Barrier is awesome stuff but I would not use it to "treat" thrush or white line disease. I use it to maintain the outer part of healthy hooves so nails can easily go in and shoes don't come off as easily. For thrush, I have had GREAT responses from Tomorrow/Today.
    Thanks for the feedback! Any idea what I maybe could use for WLD while he has shoes on?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Any idea what I maybe could use for WLD while he has shoes on?
    I have never had any experience with white line disease. I'm sorry.

I just got back from the barn. I'm doing my horse "once a week" until the muddy season is over. Picked the hooves really clean. Thrush Buster in the V along the frog. Tomorrow in the one crevice in the heel/frog/soft tissue I am trying to get closed up. Cleaned all the hooves and Farrier Barrier painted on the outside of the hooves.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have never encountered a barrier that prevented me from treating thrush.

Hahaha good one! Lol thanks for the feedback on the other thread!

For what it's worth- I adopted a rescued goat (I know, NOT ar horse) and she had terrible feet- she was limping pretty good. (I was told she had arthitis). Her hoof walls were seperated all the way up to the corinary band is some spots. I removed all the seperated wall and started medicating every day. We're in the Pacific Northwest by the way, rain every day and clay soil that is very bacteria active. Anyways, a year later I was STILL battling this, and it had spread to my other goat- great! Now I was medicating both of them daily, tried all kinds of stuff. (It was ok in summer, came back in winter). Long story short, I stopped throwing away my money on products and bought a gallon of white vinnegar. Washed their feet really well with Betadine, then soaked their feet in vinnegar & water 50/50, 5 minutes per hoof. I did this daily for a week. Then just once a week. I have no issues with their feet any more, and I have started doing the same with my horses feet. Just once a week I wash his hooves with pony shampoo and then soak them in vinnegar. The only thing I can think off is that my former approach was to "kill the gunk", which is not bad in itself, but I think the vinnegar soaks create an inviroment that bakteria and fungus just don't want to re-inhabit. My horse has shoes on all 4 year around and I just wash well and then soak.
    For what it's worth...

I've used CleanTrax to positive effect without having to pull shoes. It was a similar situation where his feet weren't falling apart, but had a couple of crumbly spots. I asked my farrier, he agreed it was probably early WLD, so I soaked him (shoes on) and it had cleared up the next time the farrier came out.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Agreed - I use it every day and love it but my stall rest horse has still gotten thrush. I think it's better as a topical barrier to prevent drying/damage to the hoofwall without over moisturizing.

For treatment of thrush - average to bad - Tomorrow and for show stopping BAD thrush: White Lightening.
    For prevention of thrush - a very clean stall and a horse that gets out of it regularly! ;-)