The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "new" vs "old" Vega monoflap- depth of panel

Does anyone know the depth or thickness of of the panels o either of these saddles? And the depth the panels on the cc vega saddle?

My vega monoflap dressage fits my horse quite well (as per the saddle fitter). I'm in the market for a new jump saddle and the saddle fitter thinks a vega jump might also fit my horse, but she's concerned the panel might not be thick enough to balance level/properly on his back. The monoflap dressage balances fine, but it seems to have deeper panels by virtue of being a dressage saddle to begin with.

I was wondering if the "new" vega monoflap had thicker panels, as the photo makes it seem so. http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/SDL/VMJSA.htm
    However that could be a shadow? The edge of the panel in the photo looks odd and it may not actually be any thicker.

vs. the "old" monoflap http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/SDL/VMJSBA.htm

The panel seems thinner in the picture of the "old" one.

Also, the vega cc might work, but I'm concerned about the panel thickness as well and I might need a more forward flap. I'm 5'9", 140 lbs with a decent length to my femur.

To complicate matters the closest tack shop carrying vega saddles is 6-7 hours away and I don't think they have a demo monoflap. And I live in Canada so doing a trial from a tack shop is the states is difficult.
    Last edited by Karosel; Feb. 22, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: clarity

Why not give VTO a call & discuss the changes between the old vs new versions - ask for Paul
    he'll likely be familiar with your current dressage saddle & able to compare fit.

And I live in Canada so doing a trial from a tack shop is the states is difficult.
    Most US shops won't do any trials into Canada, & those that do, you'll likely be surprised (aghasted) at the shipping fees - then IF GST is collected at the border, you are unlikely to get a refund should you return the saddle ...

The first thing I noticed was not the thickness of the panels, but the overall shape of the flap. The angle and forwardness seem much different to me.