The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can anyone else NOT wear heeled pumps because of heel slippage?

So, I love the look of cute fun heeled pumps.
    Sadly, I have yet to find a pair that I can walk in without my heel slipping out of the shoe and me nearly falling on my face. If I go down sizes, by the time the slipping stops, my toes are totally and inacceptably crammed.

As long as I have an ankle strap to cinch down, I'm fine. I've tried those heel grips and they still only work so-so. This happens both with nylons and barefeet.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any other remedies/suggestions to try?
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I have the same problem and other than ankle straps I have no advice for you

I always suspected that in myself it was my way of going that caused the problem. I am very good at having a 'heel first landing' which doesn't seem to be to good for high heeled shoes.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

1 members found this post helpful.

Try putting some kind of cushion/anti-slip pad under the ball of your foot...to keep your foot from sliding down into the shoe and leaving the heel loose.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe you have an especially thin heel? They make things you can stick on the inside top of the heel that I've found helpful. Also helps to prevent blisters in that part. Like these:

http://www.footpetals.com/event/cata.../categoryCode/

They help a lot! I also find that higher-end shoes tend to have a better heel shape and sort of cup the heel.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

You can buy the heel pads in most grocery/drug stores, or just ask at the shoe store. I have a AAA heel and a B toe. BTDT, own the t-shirt.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMutt View Post
    Maybe you have an especially thin heel? They make things you can stick on the inside top of the heel that I've found helpful. Also helps to prevent blisters in that part. Like these:

http://www.footpetals.com/event/cata.../categoryCode/

They help a lot! I also find that higher-end shoes tend to have a better heel shape and sort of cup the heel.
    I've tried the heel thing and they only work to a point.

I think Buck22 may have nailed it for me..."I always suspected that in myself it was my way of going that caused the problem. I am very good at having a 'heel first landing' which doesn't seem to be to good for high heeled shoes. "
    I do this too!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I have very slender heels and nothing works for me either. I've tried the heel pads and the sticky things that go at the top, all sorts of tricks and I still walk out of my shoes. I've pretty much given up and just make sure there is some sort of ankle strap to keep the shoe on. Sucks because I do love the look of pumps.

Wide forefoot + narrow heels = shoe shopping hell! Basically 99% of shoes will not fit my feet, either because they are too narrow at the front, or my heel slips out of the back. I have given up on heels and wear primarily boots and mary janes.

Trying to find heels for my wedding, though. Crossing my fingers I can find something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
    Wide forefoot + narrow heels = shoe shopping hell! Basically 99% of shoes will not fit my feet, either because they are too narrow at the front, or my heel slips out of the back. I have given up on heels and wear primarily boots and mary janes.

Trying to find heels for my wedding, though. Crossing my fingers I can find something.

I looked at ballroom dance shoes for my wedding and wound up with these lovelies: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=3
    Wore them ALL day long. Very comfy and very stable. They are a bit more than regular shoes, but I found the comfort was worth it.

I have this problem too, and it's because my feet are wide(r than average). I think shoe-makers are getting better at offering more sizing options. Custom sure would be nice
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I my experience, you have to go at least a half size, and often a full size smaller than what you would wear in a running shoe or similar. And yes, your toes get really cramped.

I wear heels a lot at work. My solution is to wear running shoes or boots (if it is winter) to the office and bring my regular shoes with me. Once in my office, I wear the running shoes or boots for as long as I can before others start arriving at work and seeing what is on my feet.

Then I switch to my work shoes. I take them off and close my door pretty often throughout the day. I guess this would only really work if you have your own office where no one will be offended if you are walking around or sitting at your desk barefoot, LOL. Sometimes people do come in, but at this point, I know my co-workers very well and don't really care if they know I'm sitting in here without shoes on half the day!

Unfortunately it is how well each shoe/brand fits your foot -and how you walk. If you have hard to fit feet/narrow heels, most shoes probably won't work well. And you do have to learn how to walk differently - you don't land heel first in the really high spiky ones!

You need the half-pads that go in the front of your shoes, not around the heel. The pads in the front push your foot back towards the heel so it doesn't slip.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have long narrow feet. I slip out of pumps. I have less of a problem with sling backs.