The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me about cover-all arenas (Dreaming of building a barn on a budget)

I'm just curious about everyone's opinions on the cover-all arenas. I have yet to do much research on them but I am sure all of you on here have some opinions on them and will provide me with much more advice than a google search!

Price ranges?
    How is the ventilation?
    How well do they hold up?

Any other suggestions on ways to build/run a farm on a budget?

I was not at Saugerties during the week of the million but heard that indoor cover-all that they set up was extremely humid and hot, along with the flooding!

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I boarded at a barn with a coverall for over a year ,

Cost wise is is not the much cheaper then a post frame buliding;

The Pros: it is much lighter in the day time

The Cons: if there is snow on the cover and it slides off it sounds as if a monster is ripping through it very scary and if it's windy its ewvery noisy.

It does take horses some time to get used to it, but if you get the roll up kind and do half wood walls , it can be very nice in summer, if you get it wide enough you only need one ring.

another PRO : if you get he kind that roll up you can invest in better footing as it will always be protected no need to worry about rain and other elements .

Another Con: the frames can bend in extreme wind and they do take up more room then regular posts.

Cover-all went bankrupt 3-4 years ago because a bunch of their buildings collapsed (including the Dallas Cowboys training facility!).

Norseman bought their assets and I'm assuming would have improved the design if they are gonna continue building them... but basically cover-all doesn't exist as a company anymore.

There are other fabric-covered arena makers though.

We have a coverall at the barn I board at and it is really quite decent to ride in. Pros: it is always really bright, even on cloudy days, it feels very airy, one end is open and one is 1/3 mesh so there is great ventilation, it feels like you're riding outside, it was shipped to the barn with a crew to construct it and they were done in two days. Cons: when it's windy and rainy it is loud and creaky, they can be as long as you want but there is some limitation on width, because of all the ventilation the footing tends to dry out quickly after watering, we live on the PNW so cold and snow is not really an issue, but I think it would be quite cold and as mentioned, snow sliding off is loud. There is also a little bit of condensation on certain days. I also think they're uglier than regular arenas.

All in all not a bad option at all though and I think many of the problems with them have equivalent problems with traditional types of arenas.

Woodland, Ca

Don't forget you have to replace the fabric every 10 - 15 years, so they may be more expensive in the long run