The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by andreab View Post
    I just want to say that LinkedIn is nothing like Facebook. It is a great tool for networking and keeping up with business associates you would not have regular contact with. You can also use it to get an introduction to someone through a connection. There are also useful discussions on a variety of topics that may impact something your company works with/is involved in. The site is strictly business oriented.
    Except it made it very simple for the stalker to look me up, find my employer, and call the employer. No harm no foul as all it did was make me employer think the stalker was a nut... but it did make it easy for a stranger to "find" me, which is annoying. Because it's open to the world, even though it's designed to be business oriented-- the info on it can be used by anyone for any reason.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Except it made it very simple for the stalker to look me up, find my employer, and call the employer. No harm no foul as all it did was make me employer think the stalker was a nut... but it did make it easy for a stranger to "find" me, which is annoying. Because it's open to the world, even though it's designed to be business oriented-- the info on it can be used by anyone for any reason.
    Andreab was responding to the person calling LinkedIn a "time waster" and "useless". If you are in any sort of tech-y career nowadays (my area of interest), you NEED to be on LinkedIn to build and maintain those connections. People think it's flat out weird if you're not.

Isn't it interesting that I am called a "narcissist" by someone here who has no idea that I indeed DID have someone on Facebook putting up false stories, false photos, telling lies and linking this garbage to people I know in real life (most of whom had the sense to ignore it or just tell me and let me know they knew it was someone being nasty on Facebook and not the truth).

So, because I am not on Facebook and didn't know this was going on for a while I had to deal with some very ugly issues because that was done behind my back, so to speak. I think, given these circumstances, I have the right to say I don't want to be on Facebook, that indeed people CAN post lies and false photos and that I find it can be a very negative experience (as much as it also can be a nice experience for some folks). It was not a fun time in my life when this all was going on and certainly did not give me a positive view of Facebook in general. So it's not something I care to do because of my own personal experience. How you think this translates to being narcissistic I cannot imagine.

I just don't care to participate in that area. That is all I meant to say.

As to the other person asking if the 20 yr old I quoted actually says "Egads" , well, YES she does, and often. But then, she is a literature major and so likely has picked it up in studies and it is a temporary verbal quirk.

As to tweeting or texting, as some here have also said, I never have tweeted and don't think I'll likely EVER text much, either. I would prefer to pick up a phone, email or see the person if I can do so.
    Last edited by SherlocksPonies; Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Me. No FB no Tweets.

Too high school. Friending - seriously ??? ...... and then there's unfriending

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Andreab was responding to the person calling LinkedIn a "time waster" and "useless". If you are in any sort of tech-y career nowadays (my area of interest), you NEED to be on LinkedIn to build and maintain those connections. People think it's flat out weird if you're not.
    You can lock down your LinkedIn so that your information is only visible to those you wish to share it with. I know a lot of tech people who do that. I have never ever used it and never will simply because I don't maintain work-related connections except by other informal means.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Some time ago a COTHer started a thread asking if any of us wanted to friend each other on FB.
    Anyone know what became of that thread, or if a FB COTH group or something got started?

The above two paragraphs pretty much sum up my interest in FB.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I have a FB account and wouldn't be without it. I have closer relationships with certain family members because of it (at least I know where they are!). I've reconnected with high school and college friends as well as friends from 20 years ago when I lived in Hawaii. Thanks to FB, 46 of my college alums were able to 'be there' for our dying professor who was so grateful for our words of love and admiration.

I hate to say it, but I kind of resent friends who don't do FB because anything that needs to be shared can be done to all my friends in one place, EXCEPT for the non-FBers who need a special email, a special picture, etc.

Crap! I just remembered I forgot to call a non-FB friend Sat night as planned. If she'd been on FB, I wouldn't even have to call her!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"