The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    No, there's at least two of us.
    Five of us.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Three of us.
    Now 4 I already posted 3~ We are not alone!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Mr Stolen does facebook, twitter and texts. I think of him during that ad where the dad twitters "I am sitting on the couch"....I just don't think my life is that interesting and it kind of creeps me out to have strangers know your activities.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    Now, what I wonder about... am I the only person who has never texted? Nor do I ever intend to.
    DEFINITELY NOT!! I find texting dumber than dumb. Not to mention all the auto accidents & thumb-joint issues it's caused. (As well as dead brain cells & wasted lifetime for all the folks who consider texting a vocation.) In fact, I requested my cell phone company ("Consumer Cellular") to disable texting on my phone. They said I was one of hundreds of people who ask to disable texting, & if I want it in the future (I won't), they'll reconnect it at no charge.

Yikes!

I did sign up, but then got scared and never friended anyone -- but I sure get a lot of friends each day that I never place. My world is pretty full the way it is.

Texting - I think I need a tutorial but my rotten daughter is too awful to want to teach me! I panic.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    They said I was one of hundreds of people who ask to disable texting, & if I want it in the future (I won't), they'll reconnect it at no charge.
    I do not text message either, however during a major system overload (think disaster) a text message will got through before a voice call as the bandwidth requirements is less

I hate texting! I have an ancient phone and it makes it very difficult, and I don't want a smartphone.
    I am so bad at it, sometimes, I just write something on a piece of paper, then take a picture and send that instead. lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not on Facebook. If I'm looking for you, I'll find you. If I'm not, I don't need you finding me or looking at my photos. I did get a Linked In account because my old firm forced me to. I kept it up. I don't *use* it for anything although I do have a bunch of "connections." So far the only thing it's done is allowed a cyber-stalking board member from here to find me and call my boss (which resulted in my boss laughing mightily at the crazy cyber stalker).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I don't "do" FB.

I have an on-line profile which has allowed former high school classmates and former co-workers to find me after years (over 30-40 yrs in cases). We then proceed to communicate via normal email. It is basically a dormant account as I don't post otherwise.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Never have, never will. A waste of time, an invasion of privacy, and a great tool for incorrect information or backstabbing if someone is so inclined. Do I really want to invest hours of my life being sure I know what folks are saying and doing about me? Or to refute lies? Or to keep up with all the tiny nuances of everyone else's life? Nope, I'm fine without it...would rather spend my energy actually living REAL life with REAL people.

And, yes, in my experience, I also am finding a fair number of "younger" people NOT wanting to participate. I can see some use for those with family strung across the country or around the world, but it has morphed into something I am unsure it was actually intended to be.

As one of my young (age 20) friends recently said when we were talking about FaceBook said, "Egads, just phone, visit or even email people. And, if anyone really believes you have 1,256 "friends" because they link to your page, well, you need help!"

As one of my young (age 20) friends recently said when we were talking about FaceBook said, "Egads, just phone, visit or even email people
    20 yr old says "Egads"?

2 members found this post helpful.

I would love to NOT have one, but how? The Yahoo groups I used to love have been all but killed by FB. No one uses them anymore, everyone posts news/pics on FB. My sister doesn't even email pics of her kids, they are all posted to FB. Same with my hubby's sister. Local Horse Clinics/events are on FB before they get posted anywhere else, at least where I live. How do you NOT do it?!

Quote Originally Posted by SherlocksPonies View Post
    Do I really want to invest hours of my life being sure I know what folks are saying and doing about me? Or to refute lies?
    Phew girl, you got some narcissism issues going on there!

Been on Facebook for years, somehow I've managed to not spend a SINGLE SECOND "refuting lies" about me.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I hate texting! I have an ancient phone and it makes it very difficult, and I don't want a smartphone.
    I am so bad at it, sometimes, I just write something on a piece of paper, then take a picture and send that instead. lol
    I think this is brilliant!!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I made Facebook account in a username, but I don't know how to use it, nor want to. I do not get it, nor do I want to. The whole thing seems scary to me.

As for cel phones, I just converted in the last year. I do have texting capabilities and learned how to do it, and it is useful for very specific situations. Other than that, I don't get it and don't want to.

All of this ability to communicate seems to really be stopping people from actually communicating with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewParadise View Post
    I would love to NOT have one, but how? The Yahoo groups I used to love have been all but killed by FB. No one uses them anymore, everyone posts news/pics on FB. My sister doesn't even email pics of her kids, they are all posted to FB. Same with my hubby's sister. Local Horse Clinics/events are on FB before they get posted anywhere else, at least where I live. How do you NOT do it?!
    This is what I run in to, certain clubs or groups that only update a FB page, and often are not savvy enough to have the page fully public/viewable, so you would have to have an account to view the updates. Still, I don't have an account and hope not to ever have to have one for any reason.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Make that four.

I find that this is true, BTDT, people call less and less because they feel constantly connected through FB.

I had an account but deleted it over privacy concerns. A friend of mine who is also a teacher was advised by her district to set up an account just to avoid being spoofed by students. My colleague across the hall had this happen to him. Students opened an account with his name, and posted pictures. The imposter posts as my colleague using phrases he commonly uses. Now, he is a popular guy and one of those teachers everyone claims is their favorite, but imagine the mischief it could cause if someone did this with malicious intent. Posted provocative interactions with underage girls, etc. it is already against our code of conduct to have any electronic communication with students that is not school related. So imagine a sleazy FB presence that was made public. Anyone searching your name would see the incriminating material. My colleague has contacted FB to get it shut down, but there is no face to FB and he has been unsuccessful.

I have one of those names IRL that is unique and if you googled me, you would find only the real me. So FB and other social media scare the crap out of me.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post

I'm not on Facebook & never will be. Nor am I "Linked In", nor do I "Twitter". I find all these things silly intrusive time-wasters - at least in my world.
    I just want to say that LinkedIn is nothing like Facebook. It is a great tool for networking and keeping up with business associates you would not have regular contact with. You can also use it to get an introduction to someone through a connection. There are also useful discussions on a variety of topics that may impact something your company works with/is involved in. The site is strictly business oriented.

1 members found this post helpful.

No facebook account here. I'm not totally paranoid about my privacy; I post on CoTH after all. However, I do like to draw boundaries between my different spheres of acquaintances. Facebook allows work, family, and friends to intersect in a way that makes me uncomfortable.