The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's useful for some businesses and to share photos I guess but largely I think it is a great playground for narcissicsts . The old attention Hos of the discussion boards have now found a better place to talk about MEMEME!!

There are some who won't fart without posting about it on FB, plus then they blog about it and post a photo of their pants. Can't ever say enough about ME ME ME!!

I have a FB account. I also have a few rules: no one under the age of 18 is a friend, no rude politics, keep it friendly, keep it light. I have a small list of friends, with a few fun family members, and some post funny photos and quotes, or beautiful nature photos. I don't post much at all. Mostly, I 'like', 'comment', and 'share'. A friend posts short videos of her DD's riding lessons if she is doing well, so it gives me a place to cheer them on! People who are Debbie Dwoners, or politically angsted with no end in sight get booted off my little island!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I had to sign up to see my brother's pictures from his travels in Europe, where he lives, because he asked me to.
    That is the only time I have been on FB, so don't really know what all is going on in there or care to check it out, really.

COTH takes all my time.

My vet asked me to friend him on Linked-in, I didn't know any better and did.
    A few days later, after a whole bunch of emails asking me to friend them, strange people I didn't know, I cancelled that account asap!

Truthfully , it just seems so stupid.

2 members found this post helpful.

I joined FB for one reason only--it was the only place one of my friends posted pics of her horses--she doesn't know how to upload pics in e-mails.

I expected FB to be a forum like COTH and was disappointed to learn it is not.

I find it boring. No real communication, just little newsbytes of things people have been up to, and if we were close friends they would call me or, better, we would see each other. Sometimes it just makes me feel more isolated from these people, and of course I realize that a FB friend is not necessarily really a friend because if they were we would get together or talk or at least e-mail each other.

The only reason I ever go on FB is because some of my friends will reply to FB messages but not to e-mail. They don't have time for e-mail, and I know in one case it's because they're too busy on FB.

I think it's just an excuse to not take time to be a real-world, real-time friend.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a very good picture of myself, so I have never set one up. Plus, no one would want to hear me about how cute it was when my chicken did this or my cat did that LOL!! And, people online can be really nasty, I don't need that negative energy.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

No, OP, you are definitely NOT alone.

I'm not on Facebook & never will be. Nor am I "Linked In", nor do I "Twitter". I find all these things silly intrusive time-wasters - at least in my world. Everyone & anyone I want to know about me or have contact with I deal with via e-mail, telephone, in person, or - gasp - the actual hand-written word.

Works very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Plus, no one would want to hear me about how cute it was when my chicken did this or my cat did that LOL!!
    I do not have a personal facebook account, but just three weeks ago, I set up a business page for my farm (riding lessons and summer camps). I have always been a contrarian type person, when someone says, "You HAVE to see this movie, you will LOVE it," I immediately resolve to hate it, etc., and I generally distrust big corporations with their youthful billionaire founders. I really started the account because many of the parents of kids I teach told me I should, because that's how they interact; I needed to do some advertising; and it is free. Also, with a business page, you can Like other businesses/organizations, and individuals can Like you, but there are no Friends or Friend requests, which is great! (wait, did I just type that?)

I have also always agreed with the person who posted about self-centered farting narcissists. BUT,

Through this page, I have in just three weeks reconnected with folks from several barns I taught at years before; with friends from my beloved horse camp in Vermont thirty+ years ago, and with a wider range of local neighbors in my community. And I do believe, from their comments, that many of these folks are happy to see how their favorite old schoolhorse is doing, or share some funny stories. Facebook has, just like it claims, helped me reconnect with old friends! ARRRRGGGHHHHH! *conflicted - head on desk*

I avoid posting serious personal information stuff. But I am having fun with the chickens and the cat.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nope no FB acct here. No cell phone either. I just really dont want to be found. Wow mabey I am anti social.

I tried it, eventually, then got so freaked out by how EVERYONE I'D EVER MET immediately found me, friended me, emailed me, then vanished back into the ether that I cancelled the thing. The endless communication isn't for me. And neither is the demand for constant availability. I loathe feeling chained to my email or phone, and if you do it for one person, you have to do it for everyone. This way, everyone knows I just don't do social networking, and they know better than to try to text me.

I left Facebook 3 years ago and have not looked back! I am much healthier and happier without the stress of who's doing what on Facebook. I found that I was preoccupied with what others were up to and making myself crazy. "So and so is riding with trainer x now..." Much better off!

I left it over a year ago. Huge time waster, and really tired of people posting pointless things like, Off to the grocery store.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Nope no FB acct here. No cell phone either. I just really dont want to be found. Wow mabey I am anti social.
    Me too!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Truthfully , it just seems so stupid.
    7th ot 8th grade I think.

Never had an account, never desired to have an acoount , never been there don't care to go there.

also a no cell phoner here also

I have a facebook account, it's just another way of keeping in touch with people. Very few of my friends are obnoxious and the ones that post a lot of meaningless garbage I just block from my feed. I like the ability to keep up with friends who are far away in a basic manner and not be involved in their day to day stuff. But I guess it helps that my friends don't overuse it. I can also link my blog posts that I think my friends would like to my facebook feed.

I reluctantly stepped on the FB bandwagon several years ago. It's sort of growing on me, but perhaps what has made it bearable is that I don't seem to have "friends" who feel compelled to overshare. I certainly do not; I pretty much use it to see what other people have shared but don't post a lot myself.

Now, what I wonder about... am I the only person who has never texted? Nor do I ever intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    Now, what I wonder about... am I the only person who has never texted? Nor do I ever intend to.
    No, there's at least two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    You wouldn't BELIEVE how long I held out before getting a cell phone. Hubby needed one for work, but I just did. not. want. one. Only reason I ended up succumbing was 1) we lived in a rural area with fairly distant neighbors, & when power was out, so was our phone, & 2) the occasional auto breakdown was impossible to deal with without a phone. If not for those 2 things, I'd STILL be a cellphone holdout.

And the phone I have is JUST a phone. No texting, no internet access, no "apps". Just. a. phone.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    No, there's at least two of us.
    MAke that three!!!!!

Make that 4. I have a cell phone for work, simply because I want to keep my work seperate from my personal life. I am not on facebook, or twitter as I have no interest in being in constant contact with anyone. I have never texted, if I need to contact someone I phone or send an email, written in complete sentences with spell checker (I hate text speak). I am actually not anti-social just selective.