The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone else not do Facebook?

I think I am the only one on the planet, but good ol' COTH'ers surprise me all the time. Anyone else not do facebook and if so, why?

I am not on Face Book, though I am on Linked In.

My husband is on face book, so if I need to contact someone through Face Book I ask him to do it.

Don't like their policies. Don't need another place to spend time.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I started a related thread last Off-Topic Day.

I have an account that I do almost nothing with. I just don't really "get" it, I guess. Well, that and my life is too boring and I have too few friends. I don't even know how many of the people I know use Facebook themselves. I know one (much younger) friend does, but I think that might be it.

I guess my first instinct, if I want to share a photo or something else with people, would be to text or e-mail them rather than use Facebook, so I just really don't have much use for it personally. Clearly, though, many other people love it!!
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

NTYVM
    I tried it and now wish I could delete my profile to end the constant "you have a friend request" emails.

Total time-waster as far as I can see.

Unlike COTH, which is a specific timewaster, but full of valuable info for the horseperson
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2 members found this post helpful.

I've never had a facebook account, never will. I know who my friends are and if I want to talk to them they're just a phone call away.

And... I really do value my privacy.

1 members found this post helpful.

No way. I don't have enough friends with computers to bother with it. But, more importantly, their "security" or lack thereof is too scary for me. My husband had an account for a short time until he was e-mailed a password for someone ELSE's account. That did it!

Quote Originally Posted by islandrider View Post
    I think I am the only one on the planet, but good ol' COTH'ers surprise me all the time. Anyone else not do facebook and if so, why?
    You have more company than you know--even among the younger crowd. A great many of my friends, clients and acquaintences of all ages do neither Facebook nor Twitter; more people than you may realize really spend very little time online at all.

As we all know, Facebook started with the college crowd, where it probably made perfect sense. It started to get scary when it spread to a teenage and even pre-teen fad, and kids were posting things that made them vulnerable to abuse, stalking, etc.

While I understand that adults too busy to "write letters" to their friends basically get it all done in one place with Facebook, the reality-show like need for "oversharing" blows my mind. People I know post their most intimate family scandals, lawsuit fights, sex lives, employment disputes, you name it on there. Possibly it's an outgrowth of the modern culture of celebrity; partly it may be honest innocence that this "publishing" can't get out to where it can come back to bite you; I don't know. From what I have seen, even here on COTH, I do think all social media have an addictive nature.

Personally, I have no plans to get involved in any of it. If someone wants me, they can pick up the phone and CALL. Or send an e-mail!

I don'thave a facebook account, but people still friend me and according to a little add that sometimes pops up, I have three people that have unfriended me. I just would rather read the news or recipes than to read about people writing about themselves.

No facebook for me either - don't like the policies or the lack of security. Although they have some games I would like to play, I am not going to make an account just for that.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I don'thave a facebook account, but people still friend me and according to a little add that sometimes pops up, I have three people that have unfriended me. I just would rather read the news or recipes than to read about people writing about themselves.
    Lol, that's just a junk pop-up ad. Truth is, everyone gets that advertisement. No one can friend or un-friend you if you don't have a Facebook account. And even if they could, Facebook wouldn't seek you out online to tell you about it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I do have an account, but it's all horse related. I have a personal policy- no family, and no work friends. None of my family is even on facebook, but my SO's mother, and nephew, have sent me friend requests that I never answered.

I've sold 2 horses to women in their early 20s and that's their main line of communication. They regularly send me pictures, and videos, so I'm happy to leave it open just for that. I haven't run in to any of the drama on there that seems to plague others
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

-raises hand- i really don't like the layout and functionality. i'm a BBS person. (well, i'm actually a usenet person first... )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I use it, but have limited my "friends" to my children, mainly to see new pics of my grandchildren. I also am in a FB group with my trail riding friends so we don't have to make lots of phone calls when planning rides and times. We just post in our group and we're done. Much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    Lol, that's just a junk pop-up ad. Truth is, everyone gets that advertisement. No one can friend or un-friend you if you don't have a Facebook account. And even if they could, Facebook wouldn't seek you out online to tell you about it.
    I know, I just think the ad is funny to me since I have no account. I do get friend requests by e-mail from people, some I don't even know but I think they are related to a group of people putting on local horse shows.

I couldn't live without Facebook these days, as it is how I keep in touch with the majority of my friends. (Of all ages - some of my friends in their 50s and 60s are the most avid users.) However, I do know many people who do not have it - that is fine, we keep in touch via other methods. Those I know who don't have it tend to be either very private, not technologically inclined, or not overly social.

I have an account, with as little info on myself as possible, and I never posted anything on my wall.
    I really only have it so people from work who want to "chat" with a group can include me as well.
    Id rather communicate with people via email to share pictures etc.
    As furlong47 said - I'm rather private and not overly social. lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I was pretty addicted to Facebook for a couple of years. Then came last year's election. I learned things about my "friends" that I didn't want to know, and the angry, vituperative posts from both sides just turned me off. I decided to take a break until the election was over, so deactivated my account. I realized I didn't miss it, (which surprised me) so I haven't gone back.

I have an account . I opened it to keep track of my grandchildren. I rarely post. I don't do the games. I have very few friends and just don't get it...
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I have a fake account that I use so I can 'sign in with facebook' or look at pictures that you have to sign in for. There's no info or pictures on it. A couple people tried to friend me...? It sounds like a big mess, people are always getting busted on facebook, drama on facebook, getting dumped on facebook, etc etc etc. lol Who needs it. I really don't have anything I feel like sharing with the whole world anyway.

I don't do twitter either.

I have a FB account, but use it for professional stuff, and not personal. There's one person I friended because she whined about it, but I put hide on all of her stuff, and the second I leave this job she's gone. I can't believe the people (like the not 'friend' person) who have a million likes, and friend everyone on earth. It can be a time waster, but only if you let it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White