The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 158 of 158
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2004
    Location
    City of delusion in the state of total denial
    Posts
    8,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I am perfectly happy to agree with that, and I will buy you a drink because I bet you'd be pretty fun company too and nothing says love like mutual creepiness
    Cheers.

    alterhorse- I understand and agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think the bottom line is that good instruction (which still exists!) prepares a student to ride a horse, train a horse, display a horse, and survive a horse; and those skill sets involve common components but sometimes different combinations.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

    Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG



  2. #142
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I am perfectly happy to agree with that, and I will buy you a drink because I bet you'd be pretty fun company too and nothing says love like mutual creepiness
    Seconded.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2008
    Posts
    3,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Cheers.

    alterhorse- I understand and agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think the bottom line is that good instruction (which still exists!) prepares a student to ride a horse, train a horse, display a horse, and survive a horse; and those skill sets involve common components but sometimes different combinations.
    Well said!

    So I think it's up to those who understand this concept, to try to educate those who "idealize" the centered, balanced, rider form, and try to explain to them in terms they might understand, that a truly professional rider of show hunters, does have the ability to ride in that "ideal" manner, but they are choosing to ride in a different "style" in the hunter ring, because that different style is more effective for displaying the horse to the judges.
    Last edited by alterhorse; Feb. 24, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Spelling



  4. #144
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2004
    Location
    City of delusion in the state of total denial
    Posts
    8,490

    Default

    That's where I start to depart from you a little bit because I am not sure that all facets of the predominant style are necessarily undertaken for efficacy in displaying the horse; but that's also a departure from the thread in general. (And they do seem to be working, so maybe I just don't know jack. Always possible.)

    Speaking of departures from the thread in general, one of the lot of you who can actually get blood oranges right now- paging you, Tha Ridge!- is going to be responsible for making this and then telling me how wonderful it is.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

    Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG



  5. #145
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Those sound delicious. Would've been nice to have last night!

    Off topic a bit too... was this class considered as Derby style/styled? The jumps looked derby-ish but not completely. Or has that style just become big hunter class?



  6. #146
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2001
    Location
    Trailer Trash Ammy!
    Posts
    19,520

    Default

    No, that was a Classic. They're doing the Derby later.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief



  7. #147
    Join Date
    Nov. 29, 2008
    Posts
    3,004

    Default

    Like War Admiral said...

    Also, I think I remember the commentators mentioning during the coverage, (I'm paraphrasing) that hunters are currently taking a direction towards increased expression.



  8. #148
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Gotcha. Wasn't sure what the class specs called it. The jumps just happened to look like most of the derby jumps now. Hopefully the Derby will kick it up a notch for jump building.



  9. #149
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    4,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Cheers.

    alterhorse- I understand and agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think the bottom line is that good instruction (which still exists!) prepares a student to ride a horse, train a horse, display a horse, and survive a horse; and those skill sets involve common components but sometimes different combinations.
    I agree. The young ladies that are showing with great success in the hunter classes AND in the jumpers, seem to adapt their positions to the task at hand.

    The hunter position does seem affected to me, a bit extreme, however I wouldn't be able to get those horses around as nicely and as effectively as these kids do.

    The hunter riders who only know how to "perch", don't get to the level in the jumpers that these kids have, and, if by some miracle of expensive horseflesh, they do, they seem to have spectacular falls and scary rounds.



  10. #150
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Speaking of departures from the thread in general, one of the lot of you who can actually get blood oranges right now- paging you, Tha Ridge!- is going to be responsible for making this and then telling me how wonderful it is.
    !!! Will do. I will need it for the continuation of this thread, I am sure.



  11. #151
    Join Date
    Dec. 16, 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Eh, horses don't jump well from that automatic release that all the COTH armchairs seem to idolize.
    THANK YOU


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Aug. 31, 2011
    Location
    southeast Georgia
    Posts
    2,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I agree. The young ladies that are showing with great success in the hunter classes AND in the jumpers, seem to adapt their positions to the task at hand.

    The hunter position does seem affected to me, a bit extreme, however I wouldn't be able to get those horses around as nicely and as effectively as these kids do.

    The hunter riders who only know how to "perch", don't get to the level in the jumpers that these kids have, and, if by some miracle of expensive horseflesh, they do, they seem to have spectacular falls and scary rounds.
    I agree with this. I am an old f**t and prefer a classic style, but I know perfectly well that I am not the rider these people are, and I admire their ability to show off their mounts.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2005
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Kelly Always has at least one disaster, I have never liked her.
    Dog hair, it's whats for dinner


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    Keswick, VA
    Posts
    7,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmjhp View Post
    Kelly Always has at least one disaster, I have never liked her.
    That's pleasant of you. Frankly, there's a fine line between brilliance and disaster, and your odds of the latter are increased by multiple rides. Kelley usually has many rides, and she doesn't ride to be second. I can certainly tell you, having ridden a lot of horses before and after her, she rides as good if not better than anyone out there.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2006
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Tori Colvin just amazes me! She is such a beautiful rider with a phenomenal eye for sure! You can tell the horses just love her and are so relaxed when she rides them. Congrats to her, she deserved it!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    That's pleasant of you. Frankly, there's a fine line between brilliance and disaster, and your odds of the latter are increased by multiple rides. Kelley usually has many rides, and she doesn't ride to be second. I can certainly tell you, having ridden a lot of horses before and after her, she rides as good if not better than anyone out there.
    It's also worth noting that I don't think a lot of the horses Kelly rides are exactly junior- or amateur-friendly. She definitely has some unique characters that would not do nearly as well with someone else in the tack.



  17. #157
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    2,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    It's also worth noting that I don't think a lot of the horses Kelly rides are exactly junior- or amateur-friendly. She definitely has some unique characters that would not do nearly as well with someone else in the tack.
    I did notice she was very free with the pats, even after that refusal Thaat being said, I did find some of her rides to border on hard...but I guess brilliance could be used to describe it. I just dont find her as soft as some of the other professionals. This might be due to some of her horses...I am not privy to knowing anythng about them
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org



  18. #158
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2003
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I did notice she was very free with the pats, even after that refusal Thaat being said, I did find some of her rides to border on hard...but I guess brilliance could be used to describe it. I just dont find her as soft as some of the other professionals. This might be due to some of her horses...I am not privy to knowing anythng about them
    This is such a tough crowd here on COTH - the riders who go for the brilliance are not liked for one petty reason or another, and the ones who don't are accused of drugging their horses to the gills. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't - and by a crowd of people who have little to no first-hand knowledge of the reality of what competing at that level really is, of all things.

    It's a real shame, because it would be such a bonus for those of us who are interested in real information and education, if some actual professionals who are successful at the very top levels would participate on this board, but I can't blame any of them in the least for staying far far away...


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Live Feed from WEF: Saturday, 2/2 @ 7:00 PM
    By MHM in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 1, 2013, 11:11 AM
  2. Live Feed at WEF: Saturday, 1/19 @ 7:00 PM
    By MHM in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jan. 19, 2013, 10:03 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: May. 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
  4. AHJF/WCHR Hunter Spectacular
    By Sara Lieser in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 20, 2010, 10:21 AM
  5. WCHR Hunter Spectacular Photos!
    By neutral milk hotel in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Feb. 18, 2009, 09:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •