The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Congratulations to Tori Colvin!
    What fun it is to see the young ones win, in competition with such seasoned professionals.

The Chronicle photo galleries show how beautiful these horses really are.

Have to agree , I don't think the super low head/neck carriage is attractive at all.

How can Castle Rock be jumping te 3'6"? He can't be a first year horse. I'm all confused with the new specs.

I'm a little disappointed with Bacardi's scores as well. Really liked the round, actually.
    Friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by 17hTBmare View Post
    How can Castle Rock be jumping te 3'6"? He can't be a first year horse. I'm all confused with the new specs.
    I believe he showed in the Performance 3'6" division, which is not restricted by experience.

The Chronicle's photos are great!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?nid=41348

Tori Colvin definitely has an amazing eye and touch. Her eq is unique in those pics but she can lay down a nice trip. Wish I had an eye like hers..... ever..

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    Tori Colvin definitely has an amazing eye and touch. Her eq is unique in those pics but she can lay down a nice trip. Wish I had an eye like hers..... ever..
    A little too much laying down on the horse's neck for my taste and I did enjoy watching her horse's trip as well as Serio's. I can't say I enjoyed all the crest releases and high butts; they detracted from the horses' jumps. There -somebody had to say it.

1 members found this post helpful.

The only one who's eq really distracted me was Kelly Farmer on Taken. Not on her other rides only that one. Just a lot of twisting and sitting heavy in front to get a big jump it looked like. Otherwise, I'd didn't really notice it until the still pictures

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    A little too much laying down on the horse's neck for my taste and I did enjoy watching her horse's trip as well as Serio's. I can't say I enjoyed all the crest releases and high butts; they detracted from the horses' jumps. There -somebody had to say it.
    Eh, horses don't jump well from that automatic release that all the COTH armchairs seem to idolize.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Eh, horses don't jump well from that automatic release that all the COTH armchairs seem to idolize.
    Horsefeathers! And what's the matter with having form and function? Not to mention it feels sublime.

I covet Empire. He's stunning!!

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Horsefeathers! And what's the matter with having form and function? Not to mention it feels sublime.
    This is a conversation for a different thread. It's not worth arguing, but NO, horses do not jump as well out of hand—and when you're being judged on the quality of the jump, you're going to do what makes them jump the best. Find me a photo of a spectacularly jumping hunter jumping out of hand.

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm in awe of the riders I saw last night. Such beautiful distances. That said, I don't think the exaggerated position, throwing yourself on the neck helps them jump better. I do think it creates an optical illusion that the horse is jumping up hard. I'm not sure it's really horsemanship but showmanship.

Again, not taking anything away from any of those riders....I should ride half so well.

Thank you. I would say I'd buy you a drink for saying that, but I'm worried that I would sound creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Thank you. I would say I'd buy you a drink for saying that, but I'm worried that I would sound creepy.
    Nope, thank you for agreeing. I knew I wasn't alone.

^
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Nope, thank you for agreeing. I knew I wasn't alone.
    I just tried to send you a PM and my computer got all wonky, so if you get 50 copies of it, sorry in advance.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Before someone posts a picture of somebody with an automatic release and a good-jumping horse and calls that proof that Tha Ridge and Supershorty are like so totally wrong, can we qualify that to often horses do not demonstrate the same quality of form when jumping out of hand as compared to when they are allowed total freedom of head and neck? That I do agree with and hell, I'll buy you both drinks, creepy or not, because I bet you'd be fun company.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

There are times when riding in the great outdoors where natural balance and riding centered, are the "safest" position to ride in..... jumping fallen trees across trails, jumping ditches, jumping up banks, and all manner of natural obstacles that one might encounter on a fox hunt, or just on a serious "exploring" trail ride...

For example.... this past autumn when I was getting a young horse used to water, and crossing water, he stopped on the bank of a 12 feet wide stream, and as I asked him to take a step forwards, he instead chose to jump the entire stream from a stand. Because I ride centered, I remained centered from instinct.

Sure one might bridge their reins, or grab main when necessary, but those are just techniques that are within the scope of the entire tool set that a well rounded rider may utilize.

I think functional "centeredness" is the heart of the issue that surounds the jumping style of show hunters.

I agree that the low carried hands of the crest dependent "style" that we see in the hunter ring is the most "aid stabilizing position" a rider can assume on a horse when desiring to avoid a direct communicating contact with the horse (ie as in Dressage), and relying instead on self carriage to "show off" the horses own way of going with the minimum of rider interference.

But what do we see as a result from this methodology of riding? We see very passive riders who are dependent on well trained (or speculatively drugged) horses, to facilitate the implementation of this methodology.

Simply examine the difference between a jumper rider and a hunter rider, and it's clear that the jumper rider is going to have to employ a much broader and more "powerful" set of aids and riding methodology, in order to "guide" that much more "spirited" horse around the jumper coarse.

What I agree with in your statement, is that their may be some learning riders who idealize the balanced and centered position, because they understand that it is based on those solid foundational principles of horsemanship that have existed since the beginning of horsemanship. But they have difficulty in understanding that the show hunter style of riding is a "specialized variant" of riding technique, that is utilized for the benefit of "displaying" the horse.

I think what concerns many experienced riders, is that some hunter trainers may not begin their students education from the centered, independent and effective aid, feeling centric, philosophy of building rider ability.

If training then becomes the emulation of the Hunter style, without first instilling a solid base of fundamentals that create a fully versatile rider. There then exists a risk of riders becoming dependent on previously trained horses of good temperament to carry the rider around the ring, with the rider only understanding a subset of the complete collection of rider tools that are in existence.

I think it's more a concept of a principle of what represents a fully encompassing rider education, than anything else.

Thus I think the trend to reward expression in the show ring will be good for the discipline, as it will necessitate a more comprehensive teaching approach by trainers for the education of their students. A student must be prepared to react to the situations presented in riding horses as "unpredictable animals", with appropriate corrective abilities applied when required. I think to see how the horse responds to a "strong" corrective measure during a ride, is truly a valid part of the evaluation of the "entire horse", from the perspective of what I think show hunting has always been intended to represent...

To judge the quality of the horse as a "hunter".

Real horses are have "moments"... to pretend that they do not, is not a reasonable premise to judge upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Before someone posts a picture of somebody with an automatic release and a good-jumping horse and calls that proof that Tha Ridge and Supershorty are like so totally wrong, can we qualify that to often horses do not demonstrate the same quality of form when jumping out of hand as compared to when they are allowed total freedom of head and neck? That I do agree with and hell, I'll buy you both drinks, creepy or not, because I bet you'd be fun company.
    I am perfectly happy to agree with that, and I will buy you a drink because I bet you'd be pretty fun company too and nothing says love like mutual creepiness