The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ARGHHH.....or why I hate Paypal and ?s

So I have been searching for a specific saddle since Nov. I was very excited I finally found it on ebay and got a great deal on it! I won it on Wednesday night. I worked as a server and have interesting hours. I tried to pay for it last night. The website would not take my payment, so I called them this morning. I have spent 2 hours trying to pay for the saddle. I am trying hard not to scream at the customer service people because it is not their fault.

Basically because it is a larger amount and I have not used paypal in at least 2 years, they have to verify my account. It can take at least 3 to 5 business day to verify it. I am pissed because i am sure the seller wants their money!!!!!!!! I just want to pay for the saddle. Why can they not be like every other website and just take the stupid credit card!!!!!

My backup plan is to the use the BillMeLater feature and just pays them off as soon as my account is verify so the seller gets their money. Has anyone ever used that feature before?

I know it can be frustrating, but Paypal's carefulness is one of the reasons that sellers like to rely on it. If you email the seller directly and let them know the reason for the delay, I'm sure they will understand.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, BML is a good thing. To 'verify' the PayPal account means they want a bank account on the PP account, not just a CC. That supposedly is a security feature, and of course when you hava bank + CC on file, you also get access to using your bank account for funding purchases. Curiosity is killing me, what saddle make and model is it that you were so happy to find?
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I am surprised PayPal is that careful, when if you use them, you keep getting all kinds of spam emails for months afterwards that, when you check where they got your email to spam you, they say PayPal.

I have tried to cancel my old account time and again and it evidently is still active, as some places ask me to go thru them and when I say no, I cancelled my account they tell me no, I can still use it.

Can you tell I am NOT a fan of PayPal?

Hope you can resolve that without blowing up first.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thankfully the seller responded to my message and knows I am trying to pay.

OMG I am thrilled with the saddle! It is a brand new County Innovation 17.5" medium narrow tree. I need a forward flap and my horse needs a deeper panel, which both are custom options. Therefore really hard to find used in my price range. Basically I am getting a hell of a deal because the seller's son won it in a competition and he is sponsored by CWD and cannot use it. It does not even have stirrup leather marks on it!!!
    Last edited by sheltona01; Feb. 22, 2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling

2 members found this post helpful.

What a lucky buy! I use Bill Me Later all the time! That's my 'go-to' Paypal payment method. I just pay the stuff off before I have to pay interest on it! Never have had an issue.

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

ccoronios: Is it basically a CC? Will they run a credit check? Is their a fee for it? I would basically pay if off within a week.

The only reason why I am cosidering it is to pay the seller now without having to wait for verification. I have the money, I want to pay her. It is so frustrating.

If they're a seller worth their salt, I am sure they will work with you. I buy and sell used equipment on Ebay occasionally, and if I had a buyer who genuinely seemed in earnest and not like they were trying to give me the run-around, I would work with them rather than hurry to re-list and send a non-paying bidder strike. Been on Ebay with Paypal now 12 years running and sometimes situations happen...we have to live with and deal with them.

I HATE Paypal. I used it just once after a long hiatus a few weeks ago and then promptly had a fraudulent charge to my credit card through Paypal. I challenged it and eventually they credited my card but now they won't accept my credit card even if the seller's site allows you to pay by credit card without a Paypal account.

Paypal is a great service, never have had any issues.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

Or if you have a friend or relative with an account?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Or if you have a friend or relative with an account?
    That would also be an option if you explain to the seller ahead of time...just be sure they know the correct shipping address!

For the record, I have had no issues with Paypal in 12 years. One thing I do though besides have my card set up to alert me if there are any strange or out-of-the-ordinary size charges is also have a separate bank account for the Paypal, and only keep enough money in there for expected purchases. Have only had the credit card company call me once, and that was for a vendor who made a typo on their keypad who wasn't even on Ebay. That being said, however, I have never needed my safety measures with Paypal.

Thankfully the seller seems ok with everything so far. I am keeping her up to date with what is going on with the transation.

None of my family uses ebay and I do not feel comfortable asking anyone to pay for such a large amount even though I would write a check that day.