The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Some Phone Calls Are Holy

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...calls-are-holy

Loved it!

Anyone have some good starstruck stories?
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I laughed all the way through that article! I was a COTH intern in 2006 and I vividly remember having to approach Katie Huber, Sandy Ferrell, Kenny Wheeler and Katie Prudent my first week. At Upperville! I remember calling my mom on a lunch break a few weeks later, squealing, "I just called Karen O'Connor!" and she didn't believe me. And I remember trying to read/type up George's articles that he'd hand-write and fax in (all the while thinking, "Whatever you do, do NOT screw up GEORGE's article!"). No, George doesn't email! LOL Great stories now, but definitely a bit nerve-wracking at the time.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

1 members found this post helpful.

I love it.

I remember once, as a kid, riding my pony back to the tents at a show after an early morning hack. Laura Kraut was riding back the same direction and she started making small talk to me as we headed back. I was so star-struck. SHE was talking to ME.

When I was a short stirrup kid I would volunteer every year at the one big AA show that was held in my hometown. I was in the hospitality tent handing out waters when Michael Matz came in. The other girl I was with asked Michael to sign something and I was not about to be left out of autographs, so I shyly went up to him and asked him to sign my shirt. He gave me a big smile and told me sure, but that I had to turn around so he could sign the back because he didn't want to be known as Michael Matz the Molestor. I still have the shirt over a decade later.

4 members found this post helpful.

circus peanuts: I just laughed out loud at work!

Remembered another one: for a class in college we had to go to a AA show and do an interview with a trainer for a paper. I lucked out and got to talk to Tommy Serio. He gave me his undivided attention (turned his phone OFF) and time for almost an hour and was as nice as could be. I saw him again later and he not only remembered me, he asked what grade I got. It was an A, and the same paper got me the afore-mentioned COTH internship. LOL I'd forgotten that.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"