The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

doo eet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Never mind I got the directions screwed up too. It's row 2 and it's an increase.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

LOL

sometimes the directions are messed up, too
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

​I love to crochet. I just made my daughters old cat a sweater today.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

2 members found this post helpful.

See, it is not just me. LOL
    I get frustrated if I cannot just read and go. IT took me a while to do the circles, But I made some balls and stuffed them with fluff and catnip!
    And are they ever popular with my feline kids!
    jswan, if you figure out the one I sent you let me know, I suppose I should just buck up and keep trying!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I actually got it to the beginning of ow 5.

as mucha s I hate to read patterns, it actually works

in row three you put in essence 4 stitches in the place of three,as you need it for the circle.in row 4 the top draws in a little (says so in the pattern)

the thing I don't like, you have to creep up to the row beginning with chain stitches...

so in row 4 you do 3 stitches in the Chain space, one double in the center of the three doubles. the no chains in between make it draw in a little. but as you tug on it it evens out.

did that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I actually got it to the beginning of ow 5.

as mucha s I hate to read patterns, it actually works

in row three you put in essence 4 stitches in the place of three,as you need it for the circle.in row 4 the top draws in a little (says so in the pattern)

the thing I don't like, you have to creep up to the row beginning with chain stitches...

so in row 4 you do 3 stitches in the Chain space, one double in the center of the three doubles. the no chains in between make it draw in a little. but as you tug on it it evens out.

did that make sense?
    Kind of! LOL Okay when you say Chain space you mean the space created by the chains you made, not the individual chain themselves? That was what was getting me!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Kind of! LOL Okay when you say Chain space you mean the space created by the chains you made, not the individual chain themselves? That was what was getting me!
    yes, the chain stitch, I mean around that chain stitch, not into it.

the only time in this pattern is when you finish the round and slipstitch into the top chain of your 3 chain starter

I finished it. came out ok.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...photos/097.jpg

I have this book of granny square variations: http://www.amazon.ca/Granny-Squares-.../dp/1574866532 I really like one of the hexagonal "squares" and have finished a lap afghan with it. I've got a full sized one about 2/3 done.

Oh - I don't sew the squares together either. I crochet them together as I crochet the final round of the square (instead of doing the chain stitch between the clusters of DC do a slip stitch around the chain of the square you want to attach it to). The drawback is that I have to stop periodically and sew in the tails so that I can add the next row of squares. Yep - the sewing bit is my least favourite.

I made tiny teddies (approx 6" tall) when I was a kid and sold a bunch of them. I did a few dogs too. A lot of the teddies had sweaters (changed yarn colour when crocheting bodies and arms) with hockey team logos on them (embroidered by me). I even developed a toque pattern to fit the teddies, and scaled down a skate pattern (paper clip blades) so they could have skates hung round their necks. The scarf pattern was really easy. They were cute.

How cute Red horses! That is something way far off for me, Granny squares, Still not too good at them.
    Alagirl, I think that makes sense, I will start another one, and see if I "GEt" it!
    LOL.

Alrighty then, Got the round pattern going, and it is pretty cute.
    We shall see. Only on Row three.
    OKAY here is a huge question for all you experts, You know how patterns, depending on the stitch will say, Chain, whatever, 1,2,3, and turn?
    I found an instructional video that was dome by a guy, Called Curtsy Crochet
    (Name of a Hook, not the guy) And he turned the work, and THEN did the chains, whatever was called for, What do you think?? Does it matter?
    I find my ends are screwy when I chain at the end and then turn, this looked better.
    Last edited by Sannois; Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo

Alrighty then, Got the round pattern going, and it is pretty cute.
    We shall see. Only on Row three.
    OKAY here is a huge question for all you experts, You know how patterns, depending on the stitch will say, Chain, whatever, 1,2,3, and turn?
    I found an instructional video that was dome by a guy, Called Curtsy Crochet
    (Name of a Hook, not the guy) And he turned the work, and THEN did the chains, whatever was called for, What do you think?? Does it matter?
    I find my ends are screwy when I chain at the end and then turn, this looked better.
    I think it does not matter much if you turn first or chain first.
    Do it the way you prefer.
    (the guy has a weird way of picking up the yarn to pull through though...)

I crochet too, fairly obsessively! I do mostly blankets, that way I don't have to swatch and can just keep going and turn my brain off.

I don't think it matters whether you turn and chain or chain first. I'll be honest - I don't always chain, and almost never as much as they say too. I find that sometimes it makes a weird lumpy edge. If I am doing a sc as the last stitch, I usually just turn.

I'm on Ravelry under the same name, if anyone wants to find me. I haven't been updating a whole lot. What I'd really like is an iPhone app that will let me update easily, and at first glance none of the ones out there seem to do that. Anyone have any ideas?
    An Eventful Life
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

1 members found this post helpful.

use to havent done it for years made some dollies and ponchos and some pet blankets and waistcoats and all kinds of other things done a patchwork quilt as well

as to the turning part:
    I generally chain one, then turn for single crochets, then put the stitch in the first hole. The alternative is to do 2 chains then skip the first hole.
    Same with the doubles, I do/did a fair amount of filet work. The three chain stitches replace the first double crochet. When I do regular stuff, like the scarf I am (supposedly) working on right now, I do 2 chains and put the stitch in the first hole.
    It does cut down on the chance of losing that last stitch - at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    yes, the chain stitch, I mean around that chain stitch, not into it.

the only time in this pattern is when you finish the round and slipstitch into the top chain of your 3 chain starter

I finished it. came out ok.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...photos/097.jpg
    OH you are my hero, That looks really great. I set it down, but am starting row 4. It looks okay... Well If it turns out like junk I will rip it out and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by kerlin View Post
    I crochet too, fairly obsessively! I do mostly blankets, that way I don't have to swatch and can just keep going and turn my brain off.

I don't think it matters whether you turn and chain or chain first. I'll be honest - I don't always chain, and almost never as much as they say too. I find that sometimes it makes a weird lumpy edge. If I am doing a sc as the last stitch, I usually just turn.

I'm on Ravelry under the same name, if anyone wants to find me. I haven't been updating a whole lot. What I'd really like is an iPhone app that will let me update easily, and at first glance none of the ones out there seem to do that. Anyone have any ideas?
    YES! It makes a very weird lumpy edge!!! And too easy for mistakes with a beginner like me. I thought the reason to chain when you started a new row was to add height? But really If you do whatever stich you are doing in the first stitch, it seems to make more sense! I am going to see how that looks!
    I will have to go check out Ravelry!
    Alagirl, So you went and watched the Curtsy Crochet Video??

Alagirl, So you went and watched the Curtsy Crochet Video??
    yes

nice instruction, I have to say.

I tend to experiment a little bit with how much height I need. I think the rule of thumb is supposed to be one chain stitch more than you are doing in the first stitch - so if the first one is a sc, you chain 2, if you start dc, you chain 3, so on. I will often not chain if I'm going to start with a sc, and only chain 2 for a dc.

Does anyone do a local knitting/stitching circle? When I lived in Boston I couldn't find one that would take a crocheter - no joke, I went into the yarn store and asked if they wouldn't mind a crocheter coming and they made a face. Now that I'm back in Vermont I try to go every week though it's been a few with working late and dealing with my horse. I find the time goes quickly and it's so much fun hanging out with fellow yarn people.
    An Eventful Life
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kerlin View Post
    I tend to experiment a little bit with how much height I need. I think the rule of thumb is supposed to be one chain stitch more than you are doing in the first stitch - so if the first one is a sc, you chain 2, if you start dc, you chain 3, so on. I will often not chain if I'm going to start with a sc, and only chain 2 for a dc.
    Yeah, that's the rule of thumb I go by - but like you i don't always do as many as called for. It depends on the yarn and how tight I'm crocheting. If you chain loosely, then an extra one really isn't necessary but if you chain tight then it might be (I tend to crochet really tightly, which is probably why my hands hate it).