The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by kerlin View Post
    I tend to experiment a little bit with how much height I need. I think the rule of thumb is supposed to be one chain stitch more than you are doing in the first stitch - so if the first one is a sc, you chain 2, if you start dc, you chain 3, so on. I will often not chain if I'm going to start with a sc, and only chain 2 for a dc.

Does anyone do a local knitting/stitching circle? When I lived in Boston I couldn't find one that would take a crocheter - no joke, I went into the yarn store and asked if they wouldn't mind a crocheter coming and they made a face. Now that I'm back in Vermont I try to go every week though it's been a few with working late and dealing with my horse. I find the time goes quickly and it's so much fun hanging out with fellow yarn people.
    That is what I have been looking for, I did find a woman who Does a craft help class at a local church 2 times a month, I missed last time cause it was cancelled due to weather. I thought it would be fun to see someone in person fix my bad habits!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Well I sure am not going to post my version of the round pattern~ I suck..
    I need lessons!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Sannois - I'm really confused! you sent me an email with the pattern, and that's the one I was working on. But the picture alagirl posted is of a different pattern.

Are we working off two patterns? The one I have is a square dish cloth full of double crochets and slant stitches.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

intriguing!

I used the pattern in the link in her post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Sannois - I'm really confused! you sent me an email with the pattern, and that's the one I was working on. But the picture alagirl posted is of a different pattern.

Are we working off two patterns? The one I have is a square dish cloth full of double crochets and slant stitches.
    Yes J the one I sent you is different, Another puzzler for me.
    Turns out I cannot figure out this stuff very well after all.. Bear of very little brain!

A lot of it is just practice. My mom started me with a left over bit of yarn that was maybe 6' long. Chain stitch. When I was done she said "pull it out and do it again." So I did, again and again and again, until my chain stitch was even. This simple practice gets you keeping an even tension on the yarn which is key to keeping things looking good.

Second exercise was similar - chain a length and single crochet back along the chain. Pull out and redo, again until my single crochet stitches were nice and even consistently.

Third exercise was the same as the second except using double crochet.

Once I had that down she started me on the plain old granny square. Doing it over and over until the tension and stitches were even and the size was the same every time.

This kind of practice can be done while watching TV, or listening to an audio book. After that it does help to have someone experienced to help interpret the shorthand in patterns.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have done that so many times, My stitches are quite okay, it is just the darn reading the patterns, cause folks seem to assume everyone knows what "They" mean, and not the universal abbreviations.
    I get those.
    Okay, for all those following along. The round pattern I posted in the beginning of this thread Alagirl did it.
    Here is what I am confused by,
    Row 6 says...Bla bla bla... v stitch in next v stitch. Arenn't all non chain stitches, v stitches and how the heck do you v stich in a v stitch.??

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I have done that so many times, My stitches are quite okay, it is just the darn reading the patterns, cause folks seem to assume everyone knows what "They" mean, and not the universal abbreviations.
    I get those.
    Okay, for all those following along. The round pattern I posted in the beginning of this thread Alagirl did it.
    Here is what I am confused by,
    Row 6 says...Bla bla bla... v stitch in next v stitch. Arenn't all non chain stitches, v stitches and how the heck do you v stich in a v stitch.??
    Oh, the V stitch is the Double/chain/double combination. with the space (and the stitches you put in in the next round) it forms a V.

So you first make the combo, then in the next round you put the same combo in that one chain stitch space. in the round after (I think) you then put three double crochets in the space.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Oh, the V stitch is the Double/chain/double combination. with the space (and the stitches you put in in the next round) it forms a V.

So you first make the combo, then in the next round you put the same combo in that one chain stitch space. in the round after (I think) you then put three double crochets in the space.
    Okay that makes better sense, now here is another, I am trying that pattern again, Row 2 says, Ch. 3 Yup then dc in same stitch?? What stitch??
    Then, ( ch 1 2 dc in next dc ch 1.) Get that too, the part brackets is what is repeated right! But the first part, ????

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Okay that makes better sense, now here is another, I am trying that pattern again, Row 2 says, Ch. 3 Yup then dc in same stitch?? What stitch??
    Then, ( ch 1 2 dc in next dc ch 1.) Get that too, the part brackets is what is repeated right! But the first part, ????
    it is increasing the stitch count, so you get a nice flattish piece. Down the road you put 2 double crochets in the same hole. Since you just replaced the 1st double with 3 chain stitches, you then put the double crochets at the hole near the first chain stitch on the bottom, so you get the approximate look as 2 stitches in the same hole.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    it is increasing the stitch count, so you get a nice flattish piece. Down the road you put 2 double crochets in the same hole. Since you just replaced the 1st double with 3 chain stitches, you then put the double crochets at the hole near the first chain stitch on the bottom, so you get the approximate look as 2 stitches in the same hole.
    I did that, And it is curling up like a flower, only on row 4.
    MAybe I should donate my yard and hooks~ AGHHHHH~

Well an update, Crocheting got me through the winter, I have about 20 Dish cloths, and for the record, I love them no more nasty sponges. Really cuts down on paper towels too.
    I am still only moderately proficient. I am okay at it. I did learn how to do a Granny square finally.
    I went to you tube and found a video, then went back and tried to do a granny square pattern, NO WONDER I could not get it. the video really made it understandable. I will probably not take it up much till after the summer, But It is so addictive for me. I finally had to just roll up all the thread and put it all away. For now.