The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Anyone Crochet out there?

I have been doing it on and off this winter. Actually learned as a small child, but was not that good. I bought books this winter, and found that there are a bunch of Youtube videos on how to.
    HEres the clincher, I am left handed, but amazingly enough, they have Videos for lefties.
    I am getting fairly good. But my biggest problem is reading the darn patterns, No one seems to follow the universal code.
    Some have Asterisk, some stars, Okay I get those, But Many are non specific about where to put the hook in weird patterns.
    For example I am into making dish cloths. LOL
    I found one supposedly easy pattern, It is double Crochet, And three chains, Repeat.
    Then the next row it says double crochet in the chain three space across. WEll, In just the middle of the three chains, or in each of the chains. Cause it would never work in each of the chains. I know this is probably clear as mud, but its a cute pattern, If anyone has a clue I would appreciate your ideas. I can probably get a link to the pattern.
    I also HATE changing colors, All the youtube videos have different ways, none too clear. I am not crafty at all, but this is really relaxing and productive, I would like to get better at it.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

i love to crochet. i used to make all my toys' outfits by crocheting them. i got really good at it, somehow...i guess just hours of doing it. it's so relaxing.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

I love doing it too. I make a lot of afghans for co-workers baby showers and gifts.

If you will pm me the pattern or where you found the pattern I'll take a look. I've been crocheting longer than I care to admit and I'm pretty good at reading patterns. And sometimes, the patterns are wrong. I've also helped a lot of my friends over the phone.

Sometimes when I do get stuck on a pattern I read it out loud. Don't know why it helps, but sometimes hearing it makes all the pieces come together.

1 members found this post helpful.

I crochet. Sometimes more, sometimes less...mostly less these days...maybe I do need to get Dragon speech recognition software after all

but in the patterns, unless otherwise directed, the stitches usually go around the chain stitches. It's quicker and more flexible.
    Unless of course you need it precise, then you have to fiddle the hook into the chain loop.

I prefer following diagrams, I can get my place with a quick glance, vs having to read the whole paragraph and hoping I didn't miss anything.

I used to make doilies but the dozen, outfitted my stuffed pony with everything imaginable, from saddles and bridles to blankets and polos...doll clothes....you name it.

Now I am making a scarf for the daughter of my friend...they are moving to Connecticut this summer....so the girl needs a scarf big enough to keep her warm next winter!

I also got a box with granny squares I started a few weeks ago. Prompted by another forum.
    One of the ladies there is amazing. She made a picture blanket for a family member's wedding, simply stunning! Then she got a bunch of the other members into it and posting their works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I crochet but I'd have to see the pattern you're working on to understand what you're trying to do.

The instructions can be a little confusing sometimes.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I love to crochet. I go through fits and starts with it, though, becasue it makes my hands hurt after a while. I haven't worked on anything since this summer.

I do a lot of baby blankets for friends' kids, but I find them a bit boring after a while (same pattern over and over).

I like doing useless things like doilies and I taught myself to filet crochet last winter. I have a really elaborate table runner that I work on every so often. I patterned it out to have my last name in a scroll font in the middle. I'm using a tiny thread hook for it so it's really tedious, but it's going to look awesome when it's done. I haven't worked on it in a long time, I should pull it back out.

I love crocheting. Have done some clothes ages back, but now mostly stick to blankets. I love, love, love granny squares. They go quick (except putting them together) and there are so many color combinations out there to try.

Patterns, eh. I read them and if I am struggling to figure it out, I move on. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    I love crocheting. Have done some clothes ages back, but now mostly stick to blankets. I love, love, love granny squares. They go quick (except putting them together) and there are so many color combinations out there to try.

Patterns, eh. I read them and if I am struggling to figure it out, I move on. LOL
    you sew or crochet the squares together?

It's been decades since I did the last project. I think I am just going to whip them together with single crochets...so much quicker than sewing.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I also crochet and am a lefty. A few aunts tried to teach me but they couldn't translate it to left hand and gave up. Found an insert in a magazine and worked with that - ended up with success when I held the hook still in the right hand and worked the thread/wook with the left, rarely moving the hook. Don't do much now but still like looking at doily patterns.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I'm a knitter and on RAvelry as hreneeh if you wanna "friend" me there. I attempted crochet over this winter but just can't get the hang of it.

If your right handed and are teaching a leftie you sit across from each other face to face almost knee to knee. Works every time.

Currently I seem to be the crazy hat lady. Found a couple of patterns for berets - regular and bobble. Everyone in the family has one - made one for a lady at church.
    I also love making doilies. My grandmother used to make tablecloths - gorgeous lovely huge tablecloths. I haven't had the patience to do one little square at a time.
    I knit too but crochet is faster and easier to fix if you make a mistake.

Can you try it both ways and see how it looks???
    I had a hard time with that when I first started. If it doesn't look right it isn't that hard to undo and try it the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I have been doing it on and off this winter. Actually learned as a small child, but was not that good. I bought books this winter, and found that there are a bunch of Youtube videos on how to.
    HEres the clincher, I am left handed, but amazingly enough, they have Videos for lefties.
    I am getting fairly good. But my biggest problem is reading the darn patterns, No one seems to follow the universal code.
    Some have Asterisk, some stars, Okay I get those, But Many are non specific about where to put the hook in weird patterns.
    For example I am into making dish cloths. LOL
    I found one supposedly easy pattern, It is double Crochet, And three chains, Repeat.
    Then the next row it says double crochet in the chain three space across. WEll, In just the middle of the three chains, or in each of the chains. Cause it would never work in each of the chains. I know this is probably clear as mud, but its a cute pattern, If anyone has a clue I would appreciate your ideas. I can probably get a link to the pattern.
    I also HATE changing colors, All the youtube videos have different ways, none too clear. I am not crafty at all, but this is really relaxing and productive, I would like to get better at it.

I found one supposedly easy pattern, It is double Crochet, And three chains, Repeat. Then the next row it says double crochet in the chain three space across. WEll, In just the middle of the three chains, or in each of the chains. Cause it would never work in each of the chains. I know this is probably clear as mud, but its a cute pattern, If anyone has a clue I would appreciate your ideas. I can probably get a link to the pattern.
    My assumption for this is that you would do the oduble crochet in the space that is created by the chain-three space, not one dc in each of the chain spaces. It's hard to tell not having the pattern in front of me, but that would be my guess.
    You can always try a few sets of each way and see what it looks like and then just rip it out if looks funky.

2 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Alagirl;6852077]you sew or crochet the squares together?

I single crochet the squares together. I like the look so much better than sewing them.

I love granny squares too. I put them together at angles so the edges of my projects end up all jaggedy. And I crochet them together too.

Default Wow A whole bunch!

I am sorry I did not get right back .
    Here is the pattern link.. I know what a slip stitch is, But IT is unspecific where they want the 3 double crochets, In one stitch? Would that not be an increase?
    You see I am beginner! Thanks for all your posts!!
    See what you make of this.
    http://www.kaleidesigns.com/crochet/...e/dish008.html
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I am sorry I did not get right back .
    Here is the pattern link.. I know what a slip stitch is, But IT is unspecific where they want the 3 double crochets, In one stitch? Would that not be an increase?
    You see I am beginner! Thanks for all your posts!!
    See what you make of this.
    http://www.kaleidesigns.com/crochet/...e/dish008.html
    well, yes, you increase for a round one. from what I can tell without reading the pattern (too lazy ) only looking at the picture I think
    in round three you put the double crochets around the chain stitches...
    then you also put two or three into the top of one double crochets...
    the beauty is that it's not an exact science. you can fudge a little until you get the look you like.

Sannois - are you referring to Row three? I am looking at the pattern right now - I printed it out and I've got my crochet hook and cotton yarn ready.

If you are referring to Row three - yes, what you are going to do is work 2 double crochet in the chain space. If you look at the pattern you will see that it results in an arc - the "hole". It may look odd the first time you do it. But as you repeat rows 2 and 3 the pattern will become evident.

Want me to crochet a few rows and see? I've got zilch going on this evening and it's a cute pattern.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling