The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I bought a Bobbys bridle, which i'm waiting on it's coming but I fear it will not be quite what I'm looking for... but i like them so thought I'd risk it

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    What are the Red Barn bridles like? There's a nice wide noseband on Just Bridles for about $250.
    Love all of my Red Barn Bridles- I have the Sovereign, the Icon (my favorite), and a Figure 8. Great quality leather, soft and supple from the get go! My one bridle is 6 or 7 years old and used 4-5 times a week and still looks new. Take oil great, perfect for schooling or horse shows! Can't beat their prices for the quality!

Tried the Red Barn Sovereign on a similarly long faced medium mare a few years ago and it fit horribly...that is my only reservation, I was going to have to do some work to it I forget what, shorten the throat latch maybe?

Our large pony shows in an Aramas cob or an Arch De Triomphe cob. Both fit well.

http://www.countrymax.com/Gatsby-Bro...fle-Bridle-Cob

I just bought this for my large pony. The browband is more narrow than the nose band, which I didn't really like at first, but it looks good on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    hmm thanks, I like the Aramas wide noseband they have.... anyone know how they run? They don't make pony size on it so I'd have to do cob...
    If they make this in pony -size...it is what I was going to suggest. It's fits exactly what you are thinking: regular/small browband and wider noseband. Go for one without padding though for a smaller head.

I have two of these bridles and love them. One is horse and it's what I use. The cavesson is a bit large for my horse who wears cobs in a lot of stuff. The other is a cob and it fits my horse nicely as well, but the cheek pieces have to be let out a lot. (He's got a long, narrow face).
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    If they make this in pony -size...it is what I was going to suggest. It's fits exactly what you are thinking: regular/small browband and wider noseband. Go for one without padding though for a smaller head.

I have two of these bridles and love them. One is horse and it's what I use. The cavesson is a bit large for my horse who wears cobs in a lot of stuff. The other is a cob and it fits my horse nicely as well, but the cheek pieces have to be let out a lot. (He's got a long, narrow face).
    rats can't find the pony size anywhere though why why why do they not make everything in pony size????

Quote Originally Posted by Lion1024 View Post
    I have the Aramas Stockholm and love it. I'm not sure I would agree that it runs large. My 16.1 WB/TB cross has an average horse sized head and fits the horse sized bridle. Maybe order the cob if you can find a place that does free returns?

I get many a compliment on my bridle. Reasonable price point for the quality.
    I agree. Most cavessons I tried on my horse were too big for him. While the Aramas horse sized cavesson is on the third to last hole on him, it at least fit. Most others (Red Barn, Ovation, Edgewood, Moritz) would've needed more holes punched. The browband is a bit large...as is the throatlatch. I bougth the cob sized in part to pull the browband from it. The throatlatch is do-able so I just work with it.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Vespucci and Aramas Pony Bridles are TINY. Cob/FS/XL run Massive.

Quote Originally Posted by JustThatSimple View Post
    Vespucci and Aramas Pony Bridles are TINY. Cob/FS/XL run Massive.
    well that just stinks shouldn't be that hard to find a pony bridle!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Have you thought about Bartville? They make the bridles for Bit of Britain, are located in Pennsylvania, and, because they are Amish, only use the telephone for 15 minutes a day in the morning. They have all sizes of parts and will mix and match a bridle to fit your horse. If you search the forums for Bartville Harness Company, you will most likely find both the address and the telephone number. Bartville is very popular with foxhunters and eventers.

If you go to the Bit of Britain website and look at their Nunn Finer bridles, you will see Bartville work.

And they are CHEAP compared to most quality bridle companies. They make excellent leather products.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Bartville makes very, very good schooling bridles, but they are not delicate enough for show tack, especially for a pony. The cheeks and throat latch are quite wide, and the buckles much bigger than you'd find on a show bridle. They are well-made, but a bit too workmanlike for the show ring.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

bumpin' any other ideas?

I would try this one myself:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/wellfl...x?cm_vc=Search

I like the Harwich, but I don't love it. So I'd step up to this Wellfleet. Smartpak is great about returns if it doesn't work. My experience with the Smartpak bridle is it ran large, so the pony size would probably be your best bet.

Similar to the Ovation bridles, which are made from American Wickett and Craig leather, I have a 5 Star Tack Symphony bridle I really like. It was under $300 with reins. I'm not sure if they're made anymore, but I'd definitely email 5 Star Tack's Owner at: sales@fivestartack.com. She's very, very helpful.

Also, are you opposed to buying something used?
    Last edited by akhunterrider; Feb. 24, 2013 at 03:09 PM.

I would prefer to find somethign used, but haven't been able to find anything

If you haven't emailed Rebecca at Premier Tack Outlet, I definitely would. She usually has some things not posted on her website. Have you asked on TOB?

already bidding on the Jaquar

Great minds think alike. Or eBay addicts. Lol. Same difference though, right?

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you looked at the 5 Star Tack bridles? http://www.fivestartack.com/bridles.html - The "Wembley" is really nice! Raised fancy stitch with matching reins and excellent quality. I just bought one for my young hunter and unfortunately it is too small It is a cob and she needed the horse size and now I can't return it - total bummer; it's gorgeous! I'd be happy to sell it if you're interested.. never got to use it. Just PM me if interested. Happy bridle shopping!