The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ok find me this bridle... smaller browband, wider noseband, pony or cob

My pony has earned a new show bridle she wears a pony bridle but it's nearly on the last holes of the cheek pieces and noseband so I think she can do a smaller running cob, like in Edgewood or Vespucci.

What I'm looking for is a narrower brow band, than noseband. I don't think she can pull off a true "wide noseband" like the Pessoa or similar, but some differentiation between the two would flatter her face I think.

I have a budget of $300 MAX with reins. Any ideas? I love the Edgewood 3/4 in fancy stitched, but with reins, we're talking over $400 and that is not doable.

www.Justbridles.com You can mix n match pieces there. Maybe find a bridle that has a padded and unpadded option. You can get the padded noseband and an unpadded browband.
    I like the dark american leather Ovation bridles. Mine has held up really well and I'm, umm...not entirely nice to my equipement. They are alot less expensive than the "big name" bridles and IMHO every bit as good.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

The harwich fancy stitch bridle from Smartpak has a 1/2" browband and a 3/4" noseband, which I think would look nice on a smaller face. Can't beat the price with a stick, either.

hmm thanks, I like the Aramas wide noseband they have.... anyone know how they run? They don't make pony size on it so I'd have to do cob...

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    The harwich fancy stitch bridle from Smartpak has a 1/2" browband and a 3/4" noseband, which I think would look nice on a smaller face. Can't beat the price with a stick, either.
    seen it but they also only come in cob as the smallest size...

If the problem is the length of the cheek pieces, I would order the Pony size cheeks from Aramas and replace the smartpak ones. They're both made by Harmon Kraft, so the color and quality should be a close match.

Vespucci and Edgewood are LARGE for cob size, both generally fit thoroughbreds and small warmbloods. If you are looking for a small sized cob bridle I would look into Hadfields - their wide cavesson bridles are just beautiful.

Aramas also runs large, but they are beautiful bridles. The cob cavesson fit my 16.1hh hunter very well.

hmm that's odd, I had both an Edgewood and a Vespucci pony bridle and they ran small, really only fit the small ponies. UGH! I will look into Hadfields, thanks.

We need longer cheek pieces, but she has a very refinded head so brow band, noseband etc, can be pony sized. It's the cheeks that are a problem, also because we ride in a full cheek right now, the cheek pieces are on the last hole.

The nice thing about JustBridles is that they have EVERY measurement known to mankind. I sat down and did all the measurements on a bridle that fit my pony, using their system, and was able to buy a bridle that fit her absolutely perfectly. It's a bit of a hassle, but it's useful.

She is large pony who goes in a cob sized Edgewood as well as a cob sized Smartpak Plymouth. She's also a cob Ovation, and I would definitely second that recommendation. Her Hadfield noseband is supposed to be cob sized and is way too big, but I bought it used so size isn't certain.
    Last edited by silver_charm; Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: adding

I'd look into ovation as well. I have 2, one horse and one cob. They are beautiful bridles and hold up well. Many people thought mine were edgewoods. Also the reason the cob doesn't fit most horses I try it on is because the browband, nose band and throatlatch are too short. The cheek pieces are the long part. I also have an Aramas and agree they run large, esp. the browband. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    hmm that's odd, I had both an Edgewood and a Vespucci pony bridle and they ran small, really only fit the small ponies. UGH! I will look into Hadfields, thanks.
    Edgewoods in general are known to run large, but for some reason their pony size is very tiny, I think it is meant for smalls. Hadfields would be perfect but you are not going to get it for $300, it retails for more than twice that. You should check PTO for bargains though, Rebecca frequently has Hadfields available. Too bad you just missed Beval's annual sale, they will swap out parts for a custom fit and they have bridles in all price ranges. JustBridles is a good option and Aramas bridles are very nice. CWD cob (size 2?) would fit like a Hadfields, and CWD makes pony sizes as well, but again not in your price range.

What are the Red Barn bridles like? There's a nice wide noseband on Just Bridles for about $250.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Hadfields wide cavesson bridle ($436) with reins ($319) is going to be way out of your budget. I just purchased one and although it is lovely and looks fabulous on my horse I didn't like how wide the browband was- I asked if they had a thinner one and they said no. So I sent it back. Couldn't justify the price tag for something that I just wasn't ridiculously in love with.... Found a Pessoa wide noseband bridle on clearance for $153 (o/s). it is lovely! Maybe try ebay and looking around craigslist (you can search all of craiglist/other sites using www.adhuntr.com)

Default Dover Derby Bridle

I have the Dover Hunter Derby Bridle in pony and cob and have been really happy with it. The pony size fits med/ large ponies and the cob will go small enough for a large.

links to pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater Pony size

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater Cob size (not the best picture to see it)

yep hadfields will be way out of range, keep suggestions coming!

Quote Originally Posted by CHFPonies View Post
    I have the Dover Hunter Derby Bridle in pony and cob and have been really happy with it. The pony size fits med/ large ponies and the cob will go small enough for a large.

links to pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater Pony size

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater Cob size (not the best picture to see it)
    thanks, have seen that one and liked it, but fear it may be too wide for her nose, very delicate, but long headed mare.

I have the Aramas Stockholm and love it. I'm not sure I would agree that it runs large. My 16.1 WB/TB cross has an average horse sized head and fits the horse sized bridle. Maybe order the cob if you can find a place that does free returns?

I get many a compliment on my bridle. Reasonable price point for the quality.

Check these Bobby's bridles out--all in your price range. They are beautiful, and maybe you'll like the look of one of them for your pony.

http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/engl...c-144_146.html
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

What are the Red Barn bridles like? There's a nice wide noseband on Just Bridles for about $250.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.