The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keratex - when just before shoeing? Summer hard ground?

So once my OTTB had his shoes pulled this winter, I started using Keratex, and his feet have done very well. Took this advice from here...

Keeping it on 1-2x a week.

When the farrier puts his shoes back on this spring, should some be applied right after he is trimmed again - before he puts the shoes on?

Also, my guy is a summer foot stomper. Have a fly sheet for this year, but know it won't prevent all of it. Since Keratex is a hardener, do I still use it throughout the summer, even if the ground is very hard?

From reading the materials, sounds like it gets into the hoof horn and strengthens it, so "yes"?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I use it right after they are shod, making sure to cover the nail holes with it. Then I continue with it once or twice a week as usual.

My mare hasn't lost a shoe in a year and a half since starting the Keratex. Before that she lost two in a row. Maybe a coincidence, but I'm happy!
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

right after being shod, i lift the feet and do the soles first( never the frog) then i do the outer walls when i don't have to pick the feet up again.

My gelding also had lost a couple shoes, farrier recommended keratex, and he hasnt lost one since, knock on wood. I also added bell boots 24/7, which likely also helps. I recommend both.

After shoeing I hit the bottom part of the hoof with Keratex, expecially the nail holes. Then I apply it 2x per week. I do this year round without problem.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Agree - bell boots for my guy, too, when the shoes are back on! (Baby blue ones...you can almost see him in the darki)

But I was wondering, would it be inappropriate to ask the farrier to put it on the edges after he has filed, and before the shoes are put on? Or, at that point, it's probably already done a good job...

Well, maybe I'll just answer my own question. Since I'm at 1-2x a week. Just do it the day before?

I also do a couple inches up from the ground, then underneath avoiding the frog.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

you don't want him using it while he's working on the horse. it's messy and you are not supposed to get it on your hands. just use it after he's done. you can put it on closer to the ground, also. i start about an inch below the coronet and go downward.

My farrier says you can't put too much Keratex on. I have a TB whose feet look like crap in the summer with fly stomping and all the hosing down and then dry weather. He is not shod behind, so, in addition to applying it below the coronet band as others have described, I apply it to the underside rim of the hoof and to the sole occasionally.

I get it on all 4 feet in the summer just as often as I can. Works like a charm