The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Your doctor said you'd be 100% in 7 days?? Are you sure you heard him or her right, because that's never happened. lol
    Forgot to comment on this before. I agree with this.
    Maybe the doctor said you will feel 100% better than you did at that moment in 7 days, not that you would be 100% in 7 days.

I had a pretty routine (no complications) surgery and I was told no lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk for six weeks. Thinking if you are supposed to be 100% in 7 days they would not put those restrictions on you.

RE: the questions as to whether I heard the doctor correctly when she said that I should be fine in 7 days- yes, I am absolutely sure I heard her right! She said that I would be fine to return to work and most of my normal activities within a week of the procedure.

Actually, based on the post-op instructions I was given, I should have been up and moving around as much as possible after the surgery... which, btw, was completely impossible- I was in a HELL of a lot of pain.

Here is an excerpt of the post-op instructions document I received (which also echoes what the doctor told me)... the text highlighted in blue is my emphasis:
    What should I expect immediately after surgery?

Activity
    There are no standard limitations with regard to activity after laparoscopic procedures except for driving and sexual activity (see below). In general, use common sense when deciding what activities you are willing to perform after surgery. Every patient is different, and different patients will have differing degrees of recovery. Gradually advance your activity. You should NOT be bedridden after these procedures. Continued movement and increased activity back to normal will prevent prolonged recovery times.

Stairs
    Apprehension about stairs or weakness in mobility requires help when climbing up and down stairs. You are allowed to use the stairs if you feel able.

Lifting
    There are no restrictions for those patients with 5 or 10 mm incisions. (<-- My incision was about 5mm) For larger incisions, use caution immediately after surgery. Start with no more than 15lbs.

Exercise
    Exercise is highly encouraged after surgery, since it allows for faster return to normal function, and also helps with pain (exercise causes release of natural morphine type compounds in your body).
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Those are some strange unrealistic recommends.

Don't let them get to you. lol It takes TIME to heal from any sort of abdominal surgury, even with a lap, because you have a lot of healing to do on the inside!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post
    RE: the questions as to whether I heard the doctor correctly when she said that I should be fine in 7 days- yes, I am absolutely sure I heard her right! She said that I would be fine to return to work and most of my normal activities within a week of the procedure.

Actually, based on the post-op instructions I was given, I should have been up and moving around as much as possible after the surgery... which, btw, was completely impossible- I was in a HELL of a lot of pain.

Here is an excerpt of the post-op instructions document I received (which also echoes what the doctor told me)... the text highlighted in blue is my emphasis:
    What should I expect immediately after surgery?

Activity
    There are no standard limitations with regard to activity after laparoscopic procedures except for driving and sexual activity (see below). In general, use common sense when deciding what activities you are willing to perform after surgery. Every patient is different, and different patients will have differing degrees of recovery. Gradually advance your activity. You should NOT be bedridden after these procedures. Continued movement and increased activity back to normal will prevent prolonged recovery times.

Stairs
    Apprehension about stairs or weakness in mobility requires help when climbing up and down stairs. You are allowed to use the stairs if you feel able.

Lifting
    There are no restrictions for those patients with 5 or 10 mm incisions. (<-- My incision was about 5mm) For larger incisions, use caution immediately after surgery. Start with no more than 15lbs.

Exercise
    Exercise is highly encouraged after surgery, since it allows for faster return to normal function, and also helps with pain (exercise causes release of natural morphine type compounds in your body).
    Your GYN has probably not had much experience with equestrians
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default emmroid

Do lots of research, ask lots of questions, seek 2nd opinions.

15 yrs ago, I was diagnosed with Anal Cancer.It took them 9 mos to figure it out! I had a clean Pap... Then 10 days later getting a 2nd opinion...my anal tumor was twice the size ( prob. measured incorrectly originally..which meant it was 'staged' incorrectly as well) ...and I had invasive cervical cancer ( now that didn't develope overnite!! and it would have killed me being undiagnosed and improperly treated.

I had a hysterectomy with removal of ovaries, tubes and the omentum . Current GYN doesn't know why the Omenectomy as it is used in Ovarian cancer not Anal/cervical. I don't care, I don't miss it and I'm alive!

I had had Endometriosis all my young adult life. had a D&C . Never had any issues after.

After the operation...I had chemo and radiation concurrently ( Nigro) which enhanced each other. Burned my 'saddle contact area' and I couldn't ride for 2 yrs and still have to be careful. But I am alive.

Follow your gut, do the research and ask the questions. Get a 2nd opinion it may save your life! I went to Boston MGH ending up JUST where I needed to be with Dr. who was the expert in a cancer that they didn't know anything about locally. {Angel?}

best wishes!!

I had right ovary and Fallopian tube removed 10years ago due to rather large cyst. Plus I had less impact on my body prior to surgery than you. My DR said 2 weeks before returning to "desk job" and essentially 4 months to START feeling normal. He also noted all of his patients fell into this time range, some a little quicker, some longer but that is the average time.
    What is hard to reconcile is that externally the "holes" will heal quickly and you will look healed. But the internal healing takes much longer. Think of yourself as a horse on stall rest that has to return to slow work
    Please keep us posted with your progress!
    Last edited by fooler; Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Well said, Fooler.

I got permission from my doctor to go back to work after two weeks and it was only given because my job is mainly a desk job.
    I was told no stairs too.

It was explained like what Fooler said. You will feel much better but your insides are still healing and overdoing it might make problems that lead to longer term issues.

Heck, I was not even allowed to vacuum for six weeks. (Best restriction ever.)

Now the being told to get up and move around does not surprise me. That I was told too. They want you moving. Moving around helps move the gases and gets your body going again. Simple walking is probably one of the best things for you.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Give us an update!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!