The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Automatic waterers without electricity

We're looking at getting a few automatic waterers put in our paddocks before the winter, and already have hydrants where we need the waterers, but as far as I know, there isn't electric to those sites. The companies I've contacted for estimates are pricing out installing the electric, but one guy suggested some sort of waterer that didn't require electric - I think it is the Frost Free Nose Pump. A quick google search shows there are solar powered waterers too. Has anyone tried these waterers and have good or bad things to say?

I was going to suggest the Nelsons since they only need electric if you have the heated ones for winters in cold climates.

Then I saw you're in CO. Kinda counts as a cold climate, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Since you're in Fort Collins, call Alison Person at Mountain View and ask about the waterer that they have in south pastures. IIRC, it's some sort of constant flow livestock waterer. It worked well enough when I was there, although Alison said she should have purchased a smaller size, as she didn't really have the head count for the larger one.

They have non-electric waterers at the farm where I board. Not sure the brand, but they don't freeze in the winter. Of course we probably don't get quite as cold here as it does in Colorado.

I'm in California, my first thought was automatic waterers don't need electricity... forgot about keeping them from freezing.

No experience with solar powered heaters in auto waterers but I would be worried that the time you need it the most (when it is snowing and cold) it will not work because of the snow blocking the solar collector and lack of sun.

Google Bar-Bar-A. Love them!

Hi Krallen,

If you haven't made a choice already, I'd like to suggest you take a look at Cobett waterers. They're non-electric and you don't have to deal with the complexity of a solar waterer. We also have more details on how they do in cold weather environments - http://cobett.com/about-cobett-livestock-waterers.html

If you'd like references from some of our customers in the Fort Collins area, please feel free to give us a call toll-free at 1-888-699-4722.

I have a Bob trough from www.horse.com. It works pretty well in Virginia, but might freeze in Colorado.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The Bob Trough or Suntank review from Horse Journal. Sounds ideal.

http://www.ranchtanks.com/files/Horse_journal_ad-1.pdf
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

We've used the Mirafount 3465 for our horses. Use it without electricity in the south and with when we were in the Midwest. The company can tell you how many horses need to be using the waterer for it to work without electricity in your area.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    We've used the Mirafount 3465 for our horses. Use it without electricity in the south and with when we were in the Midwest. The company can tell you how many horses need to be using the waterer for it to work without electricity in your area.
    We had those in our cattle pens and, on continuous flow in the winter, used way too much water and in the coldest weather still froze.
    We get to around -15F at the coldest.

We have fiberglass tanks no smaller than 6' and have their own extra covered hood for the float part.
    Most are 8' and up to 20+'
    That covered part has not frozen yet, but we do break ice in the exposed area.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    No experience with solar powered heaters in auto waterers but I would be worried that the time you need it the most (when it is snowing and cold) it will not work because of the snow blocking the solar collector and lack of sun.
    oh but you could use a wind tribine to charge the batteries....look at one of the vertical axis wind turbine for boats .... wind blows , batteries are charged , day or night

http://www.leturbines.com/50w-vertic...s-wind-turbine

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    oh but you could use a wind tribine to charge the batteries....look at one of the vertical axis wind turbine for boats .... wind blows , batteries are charged , day or night

http://www.leturbines.com/50w-vertic...s-wind-turbine
    Solar tanks don't run on batteries you charge, but on being insulated and with a panel where the sun will warm the inside and maybe partially covered so there is more warmth retained.

The electricity it takes to run a heater is way more than batteries can provide.

Now, they have water agitator turbines, called aereators, that will keep water open by keeping it moving, if the wind blows.
    I thought that is what you were going to bring up.

Those water tanks that have a big, feet long tube into the ground to keep deiced, when we tried something like that decades ago, it didn't work too well.

We had some metal barrels with rocks on the bottom, that we stuck in metal tanks, put some diesel in them and set it on fire.
    That kept the bigger tanks defrosted around the barrel for long time, until the diesel ran out in a few hours, but the cattle at least had water to drink when they came in.

Best is to feed them at the same time every day and break ice then, so you know they will get a drink after they eat at least.

I don't know how they do in the real cold North, other than keeping them in in the worst weather.

Second vote for Bar-Bar-A, love mine!
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    We had those in our cattle pens and, on continuous flow in the winter, used way too much water and in the coldest weather still froze.
    We get to around -15F at the coldest..

What do you mean "continuous flow" and using too much water? I've used these waters for almost 20 years. They fill as the horses drink, but don't overflow or use more water than the horses are drinking. They are insulated and if enough animals are drinking don't freeze at some impressive temps. You can (and we did) add electric underground to keep it from freezing in below zero temps when we didn't have enough horses on pasture to keep it flowing freely. We've moved to a warmer locale, and don't have electric now as the horses drink enough to keep things flowing fine in this climate.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    What do you mean "continuous flow" and using too much water? I've used these waters for almost 20 years. They fill as the horses drink, but don't overflow or use more water than the horses are drinking. They are insulated and if enough animals are drinking don't freeze at some impressive temps. You can (and we did) add electric underground to keep it from freezing in below zero temps when we didn't have enough horses on pasture to keep it flowing freely. We've moved to a warmer locale, and don't have electric now as the horses drink enough to keep things flowing fine in this climate.
    Ours have an extra little hose that you can turn on and leave water running all the time.
    They have an overflow that goes from tank to tank to tank underground to a low spot, where we have a small overflow dam.

In the coldest of the winter, you turn the overflow valve on and water movement and fresh water at well temperature keeps the water from freezing to a bit below 0F.

Of course, the more animals you have drinking, you also get more fresh water, but for that, you need to have the animals right there, like in feed pens, not out in the pasture, where they come in once a day or so to drink.

Here, water wells are not that strong, so you don't want to let them run all day long for days on end.

I see that you did have electric heaters for winter, that is fine, then you don't need continuous flow.

Hello all. Great discussion so far! I noticed that our product (the Frostfree Nosepump) was mentioned earlier as well as some other great options. Just thought I would weigh in here and share some information for you to digest.

Our website is www.frostfreenosepumps.com so please feel free to check that out and contact us directly with any questions. Secondly, I wanted to also provide a link to a story about a lady here in Canada that has gotten a lot of publicity over the past couple of years that uses our product for her horses. There are many others of course but let's start with Kyla http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...-friendly.aspx Thank you all for your interest and let the discussion roll on!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfree Nosepumps View Post
    Hello all. Great discussion so far! I noticed that our product (the Frostfree Nosepump) was mentioned earlier as well as some other great options. Just thought I would weigh in here and share some information for you to digest.

Our website is www.frostfreenosepumps.com so please feel free to check that out and contact us directly with any questions. Secondly, I wanted to also provide a link to a story about a lady here in Canada that has gotten a lot of publicity over the past couple of years that uses our product for her horses. There are many others of course but let's start with Kyla http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...-friendly.aspx Thank you all for your interest and let the discussion roll on!
    That is an interesting concept, but one question, what is keeping a horse or cow or buffalo from rubbing that top blue part off or breaking it?
    It looks to be in harm's way and not that stout, when used as a perfect scratching post for an itchy critter.