The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hot Flashes, Anyone?

I thought I was over the age for these ...

But ever since I moved to this new place I have been having them off and on. At first just my face got hot, and flushed, just across my nose and cheeks, when I was under stress and mildly anxious (doesn't take much to make me anxious).

But this week it has been worse. Monday night and again tonight. Whole face hot and flushed, ears, upper chest, Monday night it was even my arms.

I am on the same two bp meds I have been on for a few months now, and it's happening late at night, not right after supper or even right after I take the meds.

Only thing I can figure out is it's having a hot cat sleeping in my lap, and an apartment that gets stuffy and never cools off, even though I have had the AC on since moving in (not really cold, and the fan barely blows the air at all).

The doctor Monday night said he thought it might be an allergic reaction--but to what, he had no idea. Neither did I.

Anyone else have mysterious hot flashes? A cold wet towel does nothing but heat up the towel.

Aarrggghhhh ....................
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Anyone? Come on, I can't be the only COTHer having these ...

Amberen took care of hot flashes for me. I didn't have a severe problem, but one I started the Amberen, the few i did have went away.

hot flashes suck.
    now that that's out of the way have you avoided alcohol and caffiene? ginger? peppers? i notice that sugar gives me hot flashes as well as all of the above.

1 members found this post helpful.

Your not! Mine have diminished drastically in the last year, I would say I get a few a week now, where a year ago it was several times a day.
    I am going to be 55. I used to take one of those over the counter remedies, Forget the name, but they helped a bit. I believe the main ingredient is Black Kohosh, something like that.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

this will not make you feel any better i'm afraid: my mother still gets them. she's 88.

hang in there...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I have been getting them for 2 years now. I will be 50 this year. I pretty much just deal with it. They come and go, and I am not about to take meds for them.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Had them pretty much non-stop when I got BC that sent me into early menopause at 48.
    Then the Tamoxifen I had to take for 5 years post-surgery/radiation had this as a side-effect. Lovely.
    After I stopped the drug they pretty much tapered off and disappeared.
    That was nearly 10 years ago.

Every now & then I get one at night, no biggie, kick off blankets, cool off, re-blanket. Very minor compared to the first experience.
    Then they'd occur at any time - during the day, at work. Fun.

Another thought:
    Before the BC, I started having hot flashes and went to my GP.
    He asked if I had recently had my teeth cleaned
    Seems if you swallow some of the bacteria they are scraping off your teeth it can give you a low-grade infection with hot flashes/night sweats as a symptom.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Am 54 now, 55 in June. Have had them for 5 years. They're not as bad now as they were. I am also unable to wear the warm clothing that I used to wear in the winter. Need to layer short sleeve top under light cotton sweater and at work I usually have to take the sweater off in the afternoon. Even in the winter I overheat in bed at night and end up having to throw all the covers off several times a night. (And this is in an old drafty cold house with heat turned down to 60 at night.)

My close friend is turning 65 and still has them. I am looking into HRT.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Thank you all for your replies. I vote we start a COTH Hot Flashes Support Group.

Just knowing other people have them and have not died from them is reassuring.

I suspected caffeine might be a culprit; had not thought about the sugar but will keep that in mind, as my main form of caffeine is Coke Classic. Used to give it up every Lent but never succeeded and now don't bother.

Odd thing is, last night before the big one hit I had just enjoyed a lovely cool juicy sweet tangerine. If I overeat on citrus fruits and tomatoes I sometimes get a sort of mild red rash (as did my mother) but I never eat enough citrus fruits or tomatoes to bring that on. They cause heartburn first.

But one poor innocent delicious tangerine? And I was just trying to eat healthfully ...

Just a thought, do you wear socks when you go to bed? I did, and according to my OB/GYN, wearing socks when you sleep can cause hot flashes. Try sleeping without socks.

I would take a look at the BP meds as well . It could be a coincidence that this is happening 2 months after starting them but then again, perhaps not?

I get hot flashes, both day and night. Sheets on, sheets off. Sweatshirt on, sweatshirt off, etc. I sweat around my neck; my glasses fog up; my heart rate goes up. I've been known to stick my head in the freezer.

Nothing seems to help; I just tolerate them. I definitely don't want hormone replacement.

Someone mentioned blood pressure meds. I am taking ramipril.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I get hot flashes, both day and night. Sheets on, sheets off. Sweatshirt on, sweatshirt off, etc. I sweat around my neck; my glasses fog up; my heart rate goes up. I've been known to stick my head in the freezer.

Nothing seems to help; I just tolerate them. I definitely don't want hormone replacement.

Someone mentioned blood pressure meds. I am taking ramipril.
    This was me for sure a year ago, I would get so hot sometimes at night, I would step out the front door, in a tee shirt and undies in 20 degree weather~
    Ahhhhh! But Now I am better. Sometimes I> still wake up roasting, but It is not drenched in sweat like before!.
    Funny, they never bothered me that much, sort of annoying. Summer was the worst!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I get them too and they don't bother me too much during the day (I'm a pro at layering in winter) BUT they wake me up 2 - 3 times a night. GAH.
    I always get a flash of nausea just before one hits.
    I'm not on any meds, but I'm not willing to give up coffee, sugar and wine! And I am not going to take hormones, even soy-derived hormones (which I'm told are just as bad).
    I am taking Primrose oil and Borage oil capsules, and something my sister sends me from Europe, called Manae (plant based). If I take those religiously for 4 weeks, the flashes disappear. (Either that or it's just coincidence, ha! No way to really be sure).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I have been on HRT for ten years for night sweats due to peri-menopause. The kind I was on went on indefinite back order so they switched me to something else and it caused me to gain a lot of weight ie ten pounds in a month! So in January my took me off of them altogether. I lost 7 pounds so far just by going off the meds but have about 20 hot flashes per day! My cat even stopped sleeping with me because she got tired of me throwing the covers off several times per night. I go back in March to get blood drawn and see where my hormone levels are but if this doesn't get better I am going to have to go back on some kind of HRT. If it weren't the dead of winter I think I would have had a heat stroke by now. Nothing like driving down the road with the windows down when its 27 degrees out!

I googled this for a reason that makes me know I am a geek, but I was suprised by it, and found other research to support the point. Sounds better than HRT to me.

http://www.saragottfriedmd.com/2011/...ance-in-women/
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Ah yes. Baby boomer hot flashes: the REAL cause of global warming!

I was started them early, and have had them for 24 years. They are supposed to get better if weight is lost, but mine don't seem to. I did low dose HRT for a while, but the effects weren't lasting, and all the medical info said not more than 5 years. The really bad thing is when they are coupled with anxiety attacks. The pounding heart, increased respiration and quivery feeling in the muscles wakes me up just in time for a heat wave. Shortly thereafter followed by a cold snap complete with frozen feet. My poor DH!

About the only thing that helps me is moving air, so I have a fan on my side of the bed year around. It at least makes the heat waves shorter.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    The really bad thing is when they are coupled with anxiety attacks. The pounding heart, increased respiration and quivery feeling in the muscles wakes me up just in time for a heat wave.
    I can relate to those. Even just real quickies like that at work. What I found to help is to gulp down a cold drink (water), gives me immediate relief.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Thanks! I'll try that.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.