The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog wanted to share the farm with the horses and others, in peace and harmony

Starting the search for our next farm/family dog. Plan is for it to live "outside" - insulated, deeply bedded dog house in the barn. Dog musts: No prey drive, reliable stable temperament, NOT a runner/wanderer by nature, medium hair, large - 60 + lbs., puppy - 3yrs old.
    Preferred breed is Anatolian Shepherd, but will consider others and mutts.
    TEMPERAMENT is a MUST and will be rigorously screened for.
    Experienced dog owner, will train and socialize the dog properly, all veterinary care provided.
    Would love to adopt or rescue.
    It is a GREAT set up for the RIGHT dog.
    Lifelong commitment (our current dog is a 12+yr old giant breed dog - typical lifespan for the breed is 6-8yrs)

Located northern IL, but willing to travel for the right dog.
    All leads appreciated.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Did you see my post? http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...us-temperament!

I know he's a long way from you, but maybe transportation can be worked out.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

This girl is in NC, but it looks like she may have found a home or a situation with a rescue. Worth enquiring if you're interested.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

A rescue partner of mine just took in a SWEET and lovely Rottie pup -- male, 7-8 months, heartworm negative and she has over 30 right now, so he really needs a permanent home. Transport could be worked out and I can send a photo if you'd like - email me at BGarzarek@aol.com. We are near Birmingham, AL. Anyone who is interested -- he had an embedded collar scar on his neck and needs some groceries, but is a good boy. Thanks!
    PennyG

Odds are a rescue will turn you down because you want to keep him outside. I know, I know, but that's how it is. I'd be looking at shelters or a private adoption.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

try the anatolian rescue...they have working and non-working dogs...............

i have an antolian, rescued at 18 months..he has a HIGH prey drive, is good with other dogs,kids.........VERY intimidating to strangers,although i am not sure if he would actually bite..........he does love to jump te 5 ft fence and patrol mine and neighboring property perimeters.........he thumbs his nose at me while making passes, and comes back to homepasture frequently to checkin, and NO amount of calling ,chasing ,herding, or tempting with food will stop him from appointed rounds........i have learned tht the more i follow him, the further he roams.........i can always see the white tip of his tail held high, and i just hang out, waiting for him to be ready to come hme................i usually leave the back of the jeep open, and he jumps in, waiting for a ride..........
    so, dunno if that counts as wandering/running............
    they are bred to be extremely independent thinkers, and he is, but within confines of house,yard, leash,he is very well mannered and a big drooly lovebug that has to be touching me at all times if possible...............some are not as infatuated with people, so get one that is indifferent to human contact, or they will be very unhappy......................

Take a trip to your local SPCA or animal shelter. So many good dogs come in-purebreds and mixes that need loving homes and your set up sounds perfect. Ana tolians can and should be very protective. They are bred to protect the herd so I would definitely be careful with your selection if that is the breed you are serious about. Labs are great to have around a barn. An older dog may be perfect for your set up too. So many dogs that will grow to 60 pound + or are already that size are looking for loving forever homes. Good luck with your search. I know the right one will be waiting for you.

Here is the link about Anatolian Shepherds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd

Ship one of Toadie's dogs, they have already had a temperament test that would conform to what you need and want in a dog!
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Ship one of Toadie's dogs, they have already had a temperament test that would conform to what you need and want in a dog!
    Thanks Calamber! And, they are with a shelter, not a rescue, so there won't be any "vetting" like LauraKy is referring to. I have pictures I can email!!!!!!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

As long as the shelter will adopt out of state. I am really pulling for the shelter dogs, and these guys sound like they are right up the OPs alley. I hope, I hope.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Big Fluffy Dog rescue has just opened a Chicago pipeline. Their specialty is Pyr and Pyr crosses. They may possibly be open to adopting out a farm dog. I recommend them. You can find them on FB. http://www.facebook.com/bigfluffydog...ref=ts&fref=ts
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Thanks to all for leads and thoughts. I believe we have found the dog for us.

Cheers.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.