The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks for the link, Mo. Too bad all those exercises call for bare feet. I have been forbidden to do almost anything barefoot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Thanks for the link, Mo. Too bad all those exercises call for bare feet. I have been forbidden to do almost anything barefoot.
    That is the weird part of it. The (very good) athletic therapist (whose office, I will say, made and sold the orthotics to me) said NO BAREFEET

The dr. of kinesiology that I spoke to (was taking an exercise class that he was teaching) promoted exercising in bare feet. Totally contradictory to what I was told. I decided to hold off until my feet were doing better than incorporate some barefoot stuff. YMMV but I really felt it made a difference to my outcome and that it (together with diligent calf stretches) has prevented a recurrence.

My GP, who is a marathon runner, was very meh about the whole thing. He said research shows that there is no one "cure" and that, whether you do this, that or nothing...it takes about a year to totally clear up and you basically suffer until your feet get stronger. Gee thanks. I did the athletic therapy anyway. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. Who knows. I figured I would do what made sense to me.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

OH the inserts are the Happy Feet ones. They are awesome!

I did find out that the bone in the back of my ankle is funkily shapped so most likely..I will need surgery to correct it. Yeah me.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I think I got PF from running in Nike Free running shoes. They are supposed to be the closest thing to running barefoot. My ankles and feet on top got super strong but the soles of my feet would cramp. Then one day, the cramp just wouldn't go away.

I do a lot of yoga barefooted (on wrestling mats) but for everything else I wear shoes.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    OK, I swear I did not know that when I said that my pf is only a problem now when I do something stupid like walk up and down the boardwalk all day in flip flops. Hope you didn't think I was insulting you.
    I was not offended. It was more of a "me too".
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I *thought* I had PF 2 years ago, but after talking to several people I don't think it was: for me, it wasn't worst in the morning. It was like stepping on a very sharp stone (placed in the middle of the arch) all of the time. No relief with stretching etc. Icing it helped a little but not much.
    What helped the most was inserts with arch support in ALL of my shoes. No more barefoot, flip flops, no more shoes with no support. Now I have inserts in all of my shoes except my Asics sneakers and some of my Ariats, which have very good support.
    What a pain it was. It lasted 6 months of the Spring - Summer. Fortunately, I could still ride my horse, ride my bike, and swim with very little pain, so I did that.
    Walking was excruciating. I think maybe it was a bone spur...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I had a pretty good case of PF a couple of years ago. I did the exercises and got some of the expensive pads for my shoes. What seems to have helped me the most is getting rid of any shoes that aren't comforable, no matter how cute they are , the shoes I spend a long time standing in, be sure they are roomy ( going a 1/2 size up ). For awhile I wore those rocker shoes that were suppose to firm your behind, they made it so my weight was not resting on my heels when I stood or walked. Also something that has made a big difference for me is really good socks. I just wear hiking socks, the kind with cushion bottoms, usually med weight but I have some light weight and heavy weight ones too. I've learned that if shoes aren't comforable from day one to get rid of them. I do have a couple pair of nice shoes to wear for short periods of time for dress occasions.

Mine rarely bothers me, even after a long day standing in the lab at work. Of course my shoes and socks have gotten more expensive and less fashionable but I'm old and no one is looking to me for fashion statements. I try to plan ahead and where suitable footwear for the activity.

I've been wearing these at home all the time - no walking barefoot on our tile floors: http://www.zappos.com/orthaheel-rela...er-black-terry They've helped so much that I bought a pair of their shoes too. 40 heel stretches 4x a day and also calf rises seem to help me though I don't do them as much as heel stretches. I think I am starting to see the end of it.

I have some Orthaheel "sandals" (the ones suitable as casual wear, not the slippers) that provide great support for my P.F./flat arches. I plan to look into some Orthaheel slippers too (thanks Bells!)

I have found that deep tissue massage on my feet helps somewhat, as does being very careful about my footwear (including putting orthotics in my slippers). No more barefooting for me, unfortunately!

along the lines of rolling a ball under foot, I have found that the MELT Method ball set helps greatly: www.meltmethod.com/

YES!!! Been several years since I had a problem, Awesome Foot doctor, who just had me do stretches and wear inserts. I have a heel spur that would make your hair stand on end. But no pain. Riding with your heels down really helps. Not walking barefoot, Wearing good arch support.
    I also have the worlds FLATTEST feet, If you saw my feet you would fall down laughing, Caveman feet!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I tried the inserts...several kinds and expensive... for several years, with minimal success. Stretching helped, but still had problems. And then I started....against all podiatrist advice...wearing Vibram Fivefingers. I started slow, and now except for occasions when I have to wear shoes/boots, like around the horses or in very cold, snowy conditions, I am wearing the Fivefingers or I'm barefoot. I think I'm up to six pair. The pain went away over the break-in period of a couple of months and for the last three years I have had no foot pain at all. None...gone. As is the lower back pain I dealt with forever.

Well, a quick update...

I just got the HTP inserts Thursday, and wore them all day Friday--long day on my feet. I was away from home overnight last night, and dreaded waking up with horrible pain since I wouldn't have my boot on all night. Sat up in bed, quick stretch and walked to the bathroom with NO PAIN!

I know it's still a long way until all healed, but this gives me hope that finally a combination of things may be helping!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I've had it for a long time. Find shoes that give the support you need under your metatarsal arch, and it goes away. I live in Nike Air Max 95 running shoes that have the separate air bag under the metatarsal arch, and can run, or walk 36 holes of golf with no pain. These shoes have sort of a cult following, so they have continued to manufacture them since 1995, fortunately. You can even order them from Nike in any color or combination of colors that you want. If I put on other shoes for the 75 foot walk to the barn, my feet hurt.