The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh good lord, why can't the new team use the old tests?? That seems so wasteful.

I wish him the best of luck finding a match. My son was on the list as a donor for about a month when they found a match to a man with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He's doing the PBSC donation over St. Patty's Day weekend.

Out of curiosity, is this "transplant scent" on the donor or recipient side?
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    Oh good lord, why can't the new team use the old tests?? That seems so wasteful.

I wish him the best of luck finding a match. My son was on the list as a donor for about a month when they found a match to a man with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He's doing the PBSC donation over St. Patty's Day weekend.

Out of curiosity, is this "transplant scent" on the donor or recipient side?
    ugh, I asked the same thing of the dr, as she is holding the cd's of the other scans, just done in Dec/Jan and she said "because we need our radiologists to read the scans and they don't if they are not done by our team. IMO it's stupid. Just read the scans, it's not like the machines, etc are any different!

give your son a huge hug! and tell him he's a hero and an angel!!!

the scent is on the recipient side, from what I understand.

IMO, that borders on "scam." Unless those scans are in poor, unreadable condition OR they show something that the team wants to check further, then (IMO) those scans are perfectly good. There's no need to double-dip the insurance company.

Re: my son, I already have He really, really wanted to be chosen!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I do agree with soloudinhere about being informed, granted my mom was really old and it wasn't really any of my business but it was my business, she's my mother. If there had been complications . . .
    this is the ONE reason I'm going to force myself to do the paperwork, my husband and I have very different views on what is a burden, and I have to make sure it's about HIM and his wishes. If faced with the unthinkable, I don't feel I would be able to set my wants and needs aside in an emergency type of situation, so having it decided before hand will only be a comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    IMO, that borders on "scam." Unless those scans are in poor, unreadable condition OR they show something that the team wants to check further, then (IMO) those scans are perfectly good. There's no need to double-dip the insurance company.

Re: my son, I already have He really, really wanted to be chosen!
    we had a few "tense" words, LOL, but it's been like that all along. every new dr wants to do their "own" tests. then they make comments or ask about why the other dr did or didn't do this or that, and it leaves us wondering WTF?? and don't get me going on the first oncologist, or the fact that he and his choice of treatment, or lack of, has left us where we are today. That being said, we didn't seek out a second opinion, so some if it is on our shoulders.

My uncle has multiple myloma and is 3 years post stem cell transplant from his sister. In general, it's been a good thing because he's still with us and living a relatively normal life. But, the transplant was no day at the beach, and he was in the hospital for a long, long time. He's had rejection problems, and will be on anti rejection drugs permanently, and he's on steroids a lot of the time. His sister had a lot of pain from the procedure. But, as I said, he's home and alive and getting to go normal stuff like enjoy his grand kids.

It's worth doing, no question, but prepare yourself for some rocky days.

Best wishes for your family.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Tip for those who have multiple myeloma or family members suffering from it -
    My brother-in-law is, thankfully, covered under his wife's insurance (she teaches). But as anyone who's had the misfortune to be up close and personal with cancer, the drug costs are still high. BIL and SIL applied for assistance from a couple of different organizations, and the Leukemia And Lymphoma Society came through with a check. (I want to say $10K, but I honestly do not remember).

1 members found this post helpful.